Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a comparison--all vs. Prius Hybrid Synergy:
Accel. is about double but expect both very close on overtaking.
H.P. is more than double but Torque about 1/2, slightly heavier.

Mileage is 1/2 as expected, coeff. of drag not as good (.29).
Trunk less than half, a fifth passenger not possible, 5" less legroom.

Then it can be said chassis rigidity, 50:50 wt. balance, stick shift
and RWD sports car dynamics targets a different crowd. But Toyota's Press Kit says nothing, other than performing like a Camry 4 cyl.,
about driving dynamics. Is that because Prius drivers really do not care?

Also what about vibrations and noise transmissions? Another Gap here.
This functional design may lead to a lot of rattles over time. And how about seat architecture? (critical for long trips).

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
What?

Perhaps I'm just dense or maybe it's a partial language barrier thing, but I have no idea what you're talking about or what point you're trying to make here.

What I have extracted is that you're trying to compare the new RX-8 (not a hybrid vehicle to my knowledge, but maybe I need to research that more) to the '04 Prius. Then you deliniate a list of characteristics without specifying which vehicle you're refering to in a non-prose format that is very difficult to decipher.

The only reason you decided to compare, as far as I can tell, is that they both have the same wheel base? The RX-8 is a sports car, rotary engine, non-hybrid. The Prius is a hybrid commuter vehicle. What are you trying to tell us or show us here with this apples and oranges comparison--I have a sense that you feel it is something important but it is lost on me in it's current rendition.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I, too, am not sure entirely what you mean, but let me try to address your concerns.

The value 0.29 is the drag coefficient for the '01-'03 Prius; I believe I saw 0.26 advertised for the '04.

A fifth passenger is definitely possible with my '02 Prius; and the '04 is supposed to have more interior space.

I've not driven a Mazda RX-8, nor do I think the Prius will ever compare favorably to a sports car, but I consider the Prius to be a lot of fun to drive. It zips when I stamp down the pedal, and the CVT is a lot smoother than my friends' manual transmissions when they make quick starts.

The car is very comfortable for long trips. We took a family (2 adults, 2 children in car seats) trip from Wisconsin to North Carolina and back, and we were well pleased with the Prius.

Douglas (2002 Silver, Wisconsin)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Why would anyone want a rear wheel drive vehicle in this day in age, unless you are talking about very high torque. I think it is probably superfluous on the RX-8. RWD is not good for bad weather. The turning radius is the tightest I have ever had and cornering is great. Someone had a posting of the Prius in a rally car race, you may want to check that out. I would recommend test driving a Prius so you know how it feels; I was going to buy a Celica until I test-drove the Prius.
Also, are you aware the transmission is a continuously variable transmission (CVT) http://auto.howstuffworks.com/hybrid-car9.htm
There are certainly no rattles. The '04 version will have less wind noise as well due to the improved (.26) coefficient of drag.
Talk about rattles, my Mazda would hit some sort of resonance at 78-83 MPH and I thought it was going to break up. Also the transmission would get so hot my leg hairs would get singed (jk) in the summer. This is an experience I shared with many Mazda owners.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I know we do not drive Spec. Sheets, but I'm entering my keenager years (new phrase for empty nester retiring) and this is not a commuter car-buying decision.

I'm encouraged by the enjoyment people feel driving the current Prius but the new one will be a different car and Toyota's Press Kit really does not address driving enjoyment (althou' acceleration is an aspect, and the new emphasis on mid-range performance and anti-slip appeal).

Driving enjoyment comes from not just dynamics but a quiet, comfortable
solid feel, something Toyota is good at. If this car is released in Japan
prior to here, can anyone direct me to an english site for advanced info.
from actual production cars? The rx8forum.com has this. There is valuable info. from 3 members driving their cars ahead of arrivals over here.

I admit it is a real stretch comparing these two. But you better get use to this as this new product is much more "mainstream".

·
Registered
163 Posts
It's a rare comparison here.

I can understand the comparison between the two. I was looking at a little roadster when I bought my Prius. After test driving many of the roadsters out there many times over, I was drawn to the Prius by the geek half of my brain.

As is often the case, my pragmatic half won out over my flashy half. I just couldn't justify twice the expense for something I couln't use 3 months out of the year (roadster+ice storm=no drive). In the long run, I'm glad I made this choice. For me, it's the coolness of the technology (and some pretty nifty mods [I decided against the sunroof]) that makes me happy, the 'green' stuff is just a bonus. I'm not a rabid environmentalist, but I can play one to strangers, if I want. ;^]

I'd probably be just as happy with an RX-8, because those gas pump blues only last until you get back in the drivers seat. I do need a car with a bit of cargo room, however. I'd be a bit worried about parking my RX-8 (I can imagine the price tag) for a week while I'm camping, and where do I carry all that gear?

It's a choice you have to make, based on your wants and needs. If you want a car that goes from 0-60 in the blink of an eye, look away from the Prius. If you want an all around great car, then the Prius is it. It's not the most comfortable, it's not the fastest, it's not the toughest looking. It *is* great in every aspect, however.

FYI - I did find a site that listed a nitrous mod for the Prius. I guess it charges the battery faster or something. ;^]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your comments. It must be the geek in me too that
is wanting this fact-finding period to push the envelope in analysis.

If THS II is a big step up in Camry-like acceleration, it is possible it will
be a step up in quietness/comfort. And I don't know if you studied the trunk photos, but being able to sit (if clean) on very flat lip entryway,
could be useful at the beach, or roadside. Very clever!

See my other post under Technical Spec.'s, that we are even getting
superior efficiency to fuel cells when 'well-to-wheel' efficiency analyzed.
I have a lot to learn.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Now that you mention it, a small fuel cell (I'm not a big fan - love the tech, not sure on implementation) as a trickle charger might be a thought. I'm not sure how the efficiency is currently, but adding a bit of hydrogen once a year would be a good thing if it kept the '2 week death' away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts