Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to pick up some concrete blocks at Home Depot. Does anybody know what the maximum weight limit is for the Prius?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kirby said:
why not just check the placard on the door or look in your owners manual.
Because the car/owners manual isn't here with me right now.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
581 Posts
that weight (825lbs) also includes YOUR weight as well, so your max load is reduced by whatever you and your passengers weigh.

(don't ask how I got 10 bags of sand home in the back of a 1989 GEO Metro.. :roll: )

·
Registered
610 Posts
:roll: 2004 Owner's Manual - page 310 - "Dimensions and weight"

AMAZING what one can find by reading the Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
261 Posts
looked it up the other day (for my 2005) as I was going to Depot as well. I am pretty sure it was 835 pounds.

that said, I squeezed in my dad and me (300 combined), 720 pounds of topsoil in bags, and another 9 bags of pea gravel that had to add at least another 300. had to drive home a little slowly!

rob

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ChasSuitt said:
:roll: 2004 Owner's Manual - page 310 - "Dimensions and weight"

AMAZING what one can find by reading the Owner's Manual.
It's AMAZING how many key strokes you wasted by by being a smart ass instead of just answering the question :roll: . I thought this site was where people came for prius information. :x

As I mentioned in my previous post, I didn't have the owners manual or the car with me. I was at work and I wanted to know if I should have my ride take me home to get my car or take me to my brothers house so I could borrow his truck.

Thanks to wstander and rpm for the informative answers and for not jumping to conclusions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, I have a sense of humor, but I don't think that post(er) was attempting to be humorous. If so, then I apologize.

·
Registered
610 Posts
:) I always urge Prius-ites to read the Manual. There *IS* a great deal of useful information available. I suppose some "thin-skinned" folks take offense, but "name calling" is never necessary or indicated. Good manners are always welcome.

:lol: :lol: Have a good laugh and enjoy your Prius-! PriusOnline is a terrific resource and I continue to learn from other friendly Prius drivers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ChasSuitt said:
:) I always urge Prius-ites to read the Manual. There *IS* a great deal of useful information available. I suppose some "thin-skinned" folks take offense, but "name calling" is never necessary or indicated. Good manners are always welcome.

:lol: :lol: Have a good laugh and enjoy your Prius-! PriusOnline is a terrific resource and I continue to learn from other friendly Prius drivers.
Look, I've read the manual. I was simply looking for a quick answer to a pretty simple question. I've already apologized for defending myself in such a harsh way and I aplogize again.

You're absolutely right. Name calling is never necessary, even when it comes from us "thin-skinned" folks. :lol:

·
Registered
202 Posts
If rpm thought his Prius was a bit overloaded at 1.6 times the weight limit, I thought people might like to see somebody who didn't stop there.

Check out: http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Workshop/Overload.htm

I don't have any photos, but I once drove an F150 shortbed 302 pulling a 20 foot trailer from Illinois to Florida. That wouldn't have been so bad, except the trailer was 100% filled to the brim. The only reason the hitch wasn't dragging on the ground was because a Chevy engine my mom and I pulled into the back of the trailer raised it by about 3/4". I had to go through the Birmingham hills instead of the mountains of Georgia, and it still could only do 5 m.p.h. up those hills with the pedal floored, the needle pegged to hot, and the heater running full blast.

My friend Candace also managed to snap a rear axle by overloading her little pickup truck, but she didn't worry much because it had about 300,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
sub3marathonman said:
If rpm thought his Prius was a bit overloaded at 1.6 times the weight limit, I thought people might like to see somebody who didn't stop there.

Check out: http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Workshop/Overload.htm...
That's FUNNY!! I don't feel so bad about the 14 bags of bark mulch in the Camry... Well, actually, I didn't feel bad about it to begin with. But if I did, that would help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is a saying in aviation: If you can get all of the doors closed you will be OK.

Roger

·
Registered
10 Posts
Our Prius thinks he's a truck!

I have hauled concrete blocks, (with me and my husband inside- combined weight of over 430 pounds!) , bags of dirt and compost, wheelbarrow and ladder, furniture, and full camping gear. (Ok, not all of them at the same time but nearly always w both hubby and me)
Our car, Haggarty, sometimes gets a little low in the ride, but always comes away smiling!)

·
Registered
884 Posts
Overloading the Prius

Ignorance is bliss (I guess)... But, I wouldn't try overloading a small plane or your Prius tires on a 118 degree, Arizona summer day. We'll be reading about you in the Arizona Republic the next day!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts