Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it would be great fun to see just how many mpg you can get. Any hints to help get some chart toppers?

·
Registered
181 Posts
cruise control as much as possible even on city streets.

anticipate... remember moving faster than you have to because you are worried about what people behind you think will only have you waiting at the light longer AND wasting gas.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I know a lot of people swear by the cruise control, but I disagree.

If I establish my accelerator pedal position to maintain a given speed, but in stead of using the CC, I just keep my foot at that position, I have noticed that I almost always get consistently good gas mileage (which I have personally defined as anything better than 50 MPG on my "instant" display) whether I am driving flat or climbing or descending.

Yes, by doing this, I slow down when I hit a headwind. I slow down when I go uphill. And I speed up going down a hill, or when I hit a tailwind.

Obviously, my road-speed is not consistent with this method, but my gas mileage is better. Just remember that you have to be careful, because slowing down on an uphill climb can be hazardous if the driver behind you isn't paying attention.

As I posted in another thread, I also try to avoid having to "accelerate" a lot. To do this, I try to take less-busy roads and/or roads with fewer traffic lights, and I try to drive at off-times, if possible.

·
Registered
181 Posts
actually the biggest benefit i saw when using cruise control is that since it only changes speed very slowly, if forces you to anticipate traffic a lot more. when you know you cant speed up or slow down very quickly, it makes you constantly look for traffic flow trends.

i live in an area where going anywhere on the freeway is a start, stop, slow down, sprint for openings experience. using cruise control in those situations makes you learn to anticipate better.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I tend to use CC also, relying on it for acceleration and deceleration. (Using the controls on the CC stalk to speed up or slow down.)

·
Registered
381 Posts
BIF said:
Yes, by doing this, I slow down when I hit a headwind. I slow down when I go uphill. And I speed up going down a hill, or when I hit a tailwind.
Same here, sort of; when crossing a bridge over a highway, I'll lift my foot a bit on the other side to avoid going "too fast". 8) Other than that, I figure cc will be good for LONG drives... like going to see Barrage at Tampa in November (hopefully). :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
the hills and winds is another reason why i use CC all the time.

maybe its because i went from driving a ford F150 to the Prius, but i found that left to my own judgement, i tended to drive 10-20 mph over the speed limit. the Prius had such smooth acceleration especially on slight downward grades that i had never really noticed before. the car effortlessly gets to 85 mph without changing the pedal pressure if im not careful.

i'd rather stay in CC and see how many 99.9 mpg segments i can achieve at 65 mph!!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Amazing drive yesterday.

Yesterday I drove from Portland (Oregon) to Mt. St. Helens and back. When I started, the MFD showed an average 48.7 MPG. The trip is about 50 miles on 70mph interstate, followed by about 40 miles of 55mph two-lane highway (climbing about 3000 feet over the last 20 miles.) I started at 68 miles since fillup. On the highway, the MFD showed 48.7 MPG when I took the freeway exit (meaning I got an almost perfect 48.7 over 50 miles at 70mph.) Going up the hill killed the mileage, of course. Down to 45.something. Amazingly, though, going back down the hill, when I hit the freeway, I was at 49.8 MPG! That means that going up and down, I averaged better than 50 MPG. That was very surprising to me. I would have figured that there was no way to recoup that much potential energy back. At the end of the 70mph freeway drive again, I was still at 49.8 MPG. (I was driving more carefully, trying hard to hit 50 MPG on the display.

·
Registered
181 Posts
i went to Mt Saint Helens last week too except from Olympia, WA and i hit WA state route 505 at 53.5 mpg. got to the observation point and was at 49.1 (first time below 50 mpg since 1st tank of gas) but coming back i got to 53.2 so i got back nearly all of my mileage too. keep in mind that i was in a hurry to get back and had clear sailing nearly all the way down.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Does anyone use the old standard way of determining fuel consumption? Fill up, drive car 300 miles plus, return to same pump and fillup, then use the calculater. Methinks everything else is a fun gimmic!

·
Registered
181 Posts
oh i always do the "paper and pencil" method too.

in fact i did it to track which pumps seemed to correspond to better mileage fillups.

also need to consider that with the bladder, it makes it much tougher to get uniform fillups.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts