Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you Prius Pilots actually had to do this?

Page 258 2004 Owner's Manual - "If you cannot operate back door opener." Diagrams and instructions.

MY QUESTION: Is it physically possible to follow these Instructions?:
[1. Open the luggage storage box (See "Luggage storage box" on page 197.) and remove the cover.
2. Pull the lever with the back door motor. Open the back door.]

Looks as if it would be a TIGHT SQUEEZE to open/remove the cover especially while laying down on the lowered back seat rests, then manuvering the cover out of the way, etc......

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:idea: One added thought: If ever a 2nd mechanical keyhole was needed, the hatch is the place.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Manual Operation Of The Hatch

MY QUESTION: Is it physically possible to follow these Instructions?:
[1. Open the luggage storage box (See "Luggage storage box" on page 197.) and remove the cover.
2. Pull the lever with the back door motor. Open the back door.]

It's a lot easier to reach this lever with the hatch back open... :?
~JD~

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
No, the release is from the inside. Yes it's possible but a pain. I had to do that when the tow truck guy INSISTED on direct access to the battery. So I folded down the seats, remove the tonneau cover, remove my cargo mat, unclip my cargo net, lift up the false floor (folding the rear part is fine) then removing the plastic cover in the luggage box (that's the black box underneath) and use that tiny little lever to open the hatch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hardest part is getting back there and opening the bins enough. I had to do it when I finished working on my car and was ready to reconnect the battery.

Once you can see the latch it releases easily.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Yup, I did a few weeks ago.

My wife thinks she must have left the car in ACC all night, so the accessory battery was deader than a doornail. I decided just use a battery charger to recharge it in place, rather than jump (why waste the gas?) So I had to dismantle the back end to pop the rear gate. Wasn't that hard. (I remembered it well enough to not need the manual to show me where to look.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts