Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight, I was outside working on a generator (hurricane season coming!) when I heard my wife's 2005 Prius beeping five times, a short pause and five beeps again. The parking lights blinked with each beep.

I got her key, opened the door and got in. Pressed the Power button and got a display of "Maintenance required" and "Engine check." Nothing like a start. After trying twice, I called the local dealer who sent a tow truck.

Handed the keys to the tow truck driver who got in and immediately started the car. Doh. Still, there was an engine check light, so he took the car in.

I guess I'll know tomorrow, but wonder if anyone knows about this blinking and honking five times business?? It sounds like her car was trying to tell me something!

Regards to all!

Spindoc

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
At 4500 miles, your Maint Reqd light will come on briefly/blink when you start your car. At 5000 miles, the light will stay on until you reset it. It's just a mileage counter/reminder light that your regularly scheduled service is due by mileage. Nothing wrong there.

If you only turn your Prius onto IG-ON (get in, but don't press hard enough on the brake pedal when pressing the Power button for a NHW20), then yes, the Check Engine light will be on.

As for the blinking lights/beeping, any chance that the keyfob was in your pocket, and getting pressed by something else in the pocket (so your car would unlock, then automatically relock itself when you didn't open a door)? Or maybe the car was still on in your driveway, and the car was complaining that the smart key had left it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Malfunction causes

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

No, the key fob was not in my pocket. I had to go inside the house to get it.

When the key is left inside, I get a constant beeeep, not five in a row accompanied by five parking light flashes, pause and repeat several times. Actually, it repeated until I got in.

Having the car fail to start -- twice -- is also an anomaly.

The light that stayed on when the tow truck driver started the car up was not the maintenance required light, but the engine check light. I had not noticed that being displayed before today.

Spindoc

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Others have reported issues with blinking lights and honking horns when the 12v battery dies or is about to die.

I think the Maint. Req is, indeed, just what it's supposed to do.

I doubt there's anything seriously wrong and it's prob. just an issue with the 12v batt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.