Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: I just took my 2005 Prius in for its 60,000 mile check up, and the average mileage has gone down from 47-48 to 40- 41. When I last went to fill up (tank was almost empty), the mpg read 41, but I had only reached 250 miles in 10 gallons of gas!!!! It doesn't add up. I want to go take it back in, but I'm afraid they'll tell me there is nothing wrong!

Also, I repumped up my tires after the service, and for two days the mileage went up to 51 for a couple days, then zoomed back down to 41-42. And it's summer. It's warm here, and I've been running the AC, but nothing crazy.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
149 Posts
If there are no check engine lights or other warnings, the dealer only can go on what you say....or what you document. So lets document.

The best way to help the you and the dealer to identify anything wrong is to start closely documenting how much gas you put in, from what station, what the MPG reading is for that tank of gas.and what the various conditions are (very hot & AC On, long trip, etc). Write it all down.

Also do a basic check to make sure that the oil is OK and the HV battery intake vent is not blocked. (The grate by the right shoulder of the rear right seat passenger.)

One last check is to establish a MPG reading while driving on a very consistent road, then turn the air conditioner off while keeping everything else unchanged. Record the difference this makes. This will help identify the problem if it still persists.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
There's probably nothing wrong other than the variability of the fuel tank. You *put in* 10 gallons, but that does not mean that you *burned* 10 gallons in the previous 250 miles. I'd bet a dime that you actually burned about six gallons (250/41) during those 250 miles, and that next few fillups will have no surprises.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
richard schumacher said:
There's probably nothing wrong other than the variability of the fuel tank. You *put in* 10 gallons, but that does not mean that you *burned* 10 gallons in the previous 250 miles. I'd bet a dime that you actually burned about six gallons (250/41) during those 250 miles, and that next few fillups will have no surprises.
Actually when I filled up this last time, the last fuel bar was blinking, and I filled up 10.3 gallons... This leads me to believe that I *burned* more than 6 gallons.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts