Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I received my Prius, my dealer stated I needed to bring the car in for an oil change at 3500 miles the first time and therafter every 5000 miles. I did this, but now the required maintenance light has come on which I understand is preprogrammed to show at 5000 miles. Does this light ever go off or will it stay on till my next scheduled oil change at 7500 miles?

·
Registered
515 Posts
That light comes on at 5,000 mile intervals, not at the actual mileage of 5,000 miles.

There are instructions for shutting it off in both the Owner's Manual and the User-Guide on my website.

You'll start to see blinking (6 times) at startup 4,500 miles after the previous reset. Then 500 miles later, that blinking will change to a solid light that doesn't shut off.

Removing break-in oil before 5,000 miles is helpful, but not essential. I did it at 2,000 miles and also switched to synthetic at the same time. It's totally up to you want you want to do. Just keep in mind that sooner than every 5,000 miles afterward is just a waste.

Also, change the filter whenever you change the oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, -- synthetic oil was used but since the oil and filter was changed at 3500 miles why did the maintenance light begin to appear at about 4500 miles and now stay on since 5000 miles? Actual mileage now 5214 and still on. Was the dealer supposed to reset the maintenance required light?

·
Registered
515 Posts
It was too soon for the dealer to reset. That process is only possible once the blinking begins. So you'll have to do it yourself.

Once you've figured out how. The next time only takes about 5 seconds. (It is basically just holding down the ODO button at the right time.)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks, John!

My "maint req" light started blinking at startup yesterday at ~4600 miles, and I was actually starting to convince myself that the car was running differently.

First oil change was at 3000 (too early to reset), and next won't be until ~6500, so I will use your helpful instructions to reset the light myself in the meantime.

8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts