Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My most recent tank was the lowest ever: 44.8 MPG. This included a combination of some sub-zero temperatures and snowy, inclement weather. Still amazing that it can do that well in such conditions.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Hmm,

I thought my 04 Prius Gas tank had a hole somewhere 'cause I 'm only gettin' 47~48 now days with the colder climate up here in Northern CA.

Summer time to Autumn I was gettin' 51~52 plus...So I take consolation that evrybody's MPG is suffering as well.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Here I am thinking Wayne's gonna boast about 60mpg as his lowest ever lol.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
C.Rickey Hirose said:
Hmm,

I thought my 04 Prius Gas tank had a hole somewhere 'cause I 'm only gettin' 47~48 now days with the colder climate up here in Northern CA.

Summer time to Autumn I was gettin' 51~52 plus...So I take consolation that evrybody's MPG is suffering as well.
I'm in the same boat. I have always managed over 50 and usually around 52. Since this cold snap in northern CA, I'm down under 50 to about 47-48. Who knows, maybe the Prius has already solved the global warming problem :D .

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I thought I might have a fuel leak too, since my milage has been lower these days and I did sometimes smell gasoline. However, even if I had a fuel leak, the display would still show the higher mileage since that's measured at the injector, but you would seem to have less gas in the tank, causing lower miles per tank, which would show up in calculated MPG.

The fuel smell apparently occured while passing a gas station with the vent open on temperate days.

·
Registered
420 Posts
We're also working on our worst tank ever: At 150 miles (already down five pips!), the MFD is showing 39.3 mpg. That's awful when compared to the car's lifetime average of 51.8 mpg, but it's still a little better than the best tank I ever got on my old Nissan Stanza (38 mpg).

There's no mystery as to why mpg is suddenly bad: It's cold in Colorado right now. The daytime temperatures have been in the 'teens, and the nighttime temperatures in the 'oughts or below. The past two days, the daytime temperatures "soared" into the 30s - which was enough to bring the tank average up by almost two mpg. Before that, it was stuck under 38 mpg.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I wouldn't feel so bad about being at 5 pips with 150 miles.. think about how much gas you're able to squeeze in! Once I only got 7 gallons with 1 blinking pip.. and it wasnt even THAT cold.. grr..

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
My last drive to Miami had me getting MPG similar to what The Lovely Mrs. Melgish gets when she's using the car.

Checked the tires today, and they were a few pounds lower than my ideal. We'll see if that perks things back up

·
Registered
16 Posts
Worst Tank Ever

Waynesworld,

Since there are only ten fill ups so far, and since it took me a little while to figure out what was going on, my worst tank was around 53 mpg. The last three tanks have been in the low 70s for mpg's. It is very frustrating to try so hard to drive slowly and anticipate everything to have a 24F day with 30 mph winds take a whole tank into the crapper (for me at least). I am not complaining, my current tank is at 70.0 mpg on the MFD at 436 miles. Since I overfilled the car and had gas spewing from my tank on my last fillup, it should be "pretty easy" to go 800 miles this month.

·
Registered
420 Posts
melgish said:
Not to be taken seriously. Avoid contact with eyes. If swallowed consult a physician immediately. Keep away from pets. Active Ingredient: Sarcasm 40.2%
Melgish, your sig line reminds me of the old Firesign Theatre bit about alien encounters:

"Avoid eye contact. If aliens have no eyes, avoid all contact."

·
Registered
63 Posts
38 MPG on my last tank. For a long while it was in the high 20's on that tank but a couple of road trips helped. It's the result of cold weather and many 1-5 mile trips during which the engine never warms up. Finally, the addition of 4 snow tires has really killed the mileage (altho the car handled wonderfully on yesterday's unplowed roads). Even during our unseasonably warm weather the mileage was around 41 mpg, a drop of about 5 mpg. Offsetting this has been about a 25% drop in gas prices locally.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Still not bad

My worst tank was 38.2 and that was on a 500 mile trip from southern California to Northern California. Cruise control was set on 82 MPH. I was in a hurry. Trip back at 58 MPH I averaged about 53 MPG... tell me speed does not hurt.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My worst ever was 46.3 MPG. This winter has been frustrating at I normally get about 51 but am now seeing about 47.

And yes, speed does matter! I ALWAYS set my CC to 58 MPH and drive in the right lane to work. This took my average of about 47-48 MPG at 67 MPH to 51-52 MPG.

·
Registered
610 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: Just gotta laugh out loud...

Who would have thought drivers would be complaining about 44-50 MPGs? So... non-Prius drivers: "EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT !!"

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine is the worst.... 35.5 mpg.... I have no idea why. I think it has extra drag and causes the ICE to come on prematurely. Clearing the goop out of the wheel wells from snow I know that helps. I went to fuel up one day and it was nice considering it was 20 degrees. then it dropped to -2 and whenever I started my Prius, no accessories like heat on, the ICE just started right up. No warning lights or anything. What can I do?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Unfortunately, at -2, there's nothing you can do to keep the ICE from running a lot. It's just trying to keep itself and the catalytic converter warm.

Snowy roads hugely impact mpg as well. It's still almost as cold here as when our mpg was stuck in the 30s, but the mpg has climbed considerably as the roads have cleared. The car can roll again!

(But there's more snow on the horizon...)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Gee, amazing you'd think we were into Globel Warming 8) and yet here we are dealing with winter low temperatures, and the fact you need to burn extra fuel to warm the car.

Presonally I blame Al Gore :twisted:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Hawqis1 said:
Mine is the worst.... 35.5 mpg.... I have no idea why. I think it has extra drag and causes the ICE to come on prematurely. Clearing the goop out of the wheel wells from snow I know that helps. I went to fuel up one day and it was nice considering it was 20 degrees. then it dropped to -2 and whenever I started my Prius, no accessories like heat on, the ICE just started right up. No warning lights or anything. What can I do?
Wait. For March.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.