Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was the first cold morning that Phoebe has experienced and the yellow low temperature warning light came on. Is there something special I should be doing when this light comes on? Should I be driving any differently when this light is on? Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
janets98 said:
This was the first cold morning that Phoebe has experienced and the yellow low temperature warning light came on. Is there something special I should be doing when this light comes on? Should I be driving any differently when this light is on? Thanks in advance. :)
Meet Flakey. He will be your companion for the next 6 months. He is just there to tell you it's cold outside, and there is potential for frozen road conditions. You will learn to ignore him over time. Time to get out the sweaters.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that's going to be annoying.
Please tell me that this sensor light is as easy to turn off as that back up beeper is...

·
Registered
548 Posts
janets98 said:
Well, that's going to be annoying.
Please tell me that this sensor light is as easy to turn off as that back up beeper is...
There doesn't seem to be any way to turn it off, but a properly cut piece of electrical tape can mask the problem.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
janets98 said:
Is there something special I should be doing when this light comes on?
Watch for icy roads. Also put a coat and hat on, and turning on cabin heat might also be appropriate, though these items your own body would signal to you.

janets98 said:
Should I be driving any differently when this light is on?
Yes, with more caution, especially on overpasses that have gotten wet.

janets98 said:
If I did, I'd be lying, so please don't ask me to tell you that. You could put a piece of electrical tape over it.

·
Registered
919 Posts
:( Yup, little flake will be around for a few months in our colder regions. It beats the big red triangle.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
I assume that you are talking about the yellow "Low Temperature Indicator Light" (looks like a snowflake on a road/triangle) that is on the 2004-? Prius? Note that the symbol is not only on your dashboard, but is also on the MFD.

From the US 2004 Prius Owner's Manual, section 2-5, "Operation of Instruments and Controls," "Gauges, Meters and Service reminder indicators," page 116:

"This light comes on when the outside
temperature is less than +3C (37F).
When the “IG–ON” mode is turned on, this
light comes on and goes out after a few
seconds. If the outside temperature is less
than +3C (37F) in the “IG–ON” mode,
the light flashes three times and then
stays on.
If the outside temperature is higher than
+3C (37F), the light flashes three times
and then goes out."

The light is just there to tell you that it is cold enough outside that roads can be icing up (ever see signs like "bridge freezes before road" before?), so you should drive safely. In some countries, this light is listed in the Prius brochures as a safety feature!

When I first read the subject, I thought you were talking about the light on the dashboard that is a blue thermometer, which is the low coolant temperature light in the Classic Prius. If this light is on (usually at least the first 5 min of a trip, I've seen up to 30min on a cold and windy winter day where my car has been left outside all night) the engine and battery output isn't as strong as it could be (as things are still warming themselves up to operating temperatures). Just don't floor it out of the driveway, and things should be OK. In the rare case that you also get the turtle light (I've only seen it about 4 times), you won't have much battery assist, so take it easy on the acceleration.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
DanMan32 said:
It does display on the MFD, but only briefly, just as that Add Fuel does.
My recollection is that the yellow snowflake symbol stays on next to the temperature readout.

Anyone know a drive-in freezer in the MA area that I could go to so I can refresh my memory? ;)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
janets98 said:
... Is there something special I should be doing when this light comes on? Should I be driving any differently when this light is on? Thanks in advance. :)
Yup. Warm socks - preferably hand knit. You really should snuggle up to a knitter, quickly, before Flakey gets down right pesky. Of course, my theory is that if I cannot see Flakey, it's not cold. I recommend getting a SUN sticker at the stationery store (not to be confused with a stationary store - the stationery store COULD be moving, you know), and putting it over Flakey. Then it'll be warm wherever you drive.

Trust me - I know these things. Ask Hep.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I just thought to check in the owner's manual. It doesn't mention that any indication will show in the MFD regarding low temparature warning, but I know it does based on personal (but rare) experience.

While I was looking, I noticed and read what the manual said about low fuel indication. It claimed that Mr. Triangle of Doom (master warning lamp) would come on as well as the 'Add Fuel' on the display. The triangle in fact does not come on. Probably too many people freaked out during Toyota's field testing, and decided not to do this.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Sanny said:
You really should snuggle up to a knitter, quickly, before Flakey gets down right pesky.
As a knitter, are you volunteering Sanny?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Hep said:
Sanny said:
You really should snuggle up to a knitter, quickly, before Flakey gets down right pesky.
I already have a warm, furry body to snuggle up to. And clean up after. And feed. And entertain. Ok, so she has 4 legs, a tail, and a wet nose, but she's kinda cute anyway. And she never leaves the seat up. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Neat thing - I just discovered that the new set(s) of Nokian WRs I bought for winter have what is called an "Info Pin." It's a little green pin with an arrow icon on it. You can point the arrow to point to a little car diagram, to show what position the tire should be mounted. Currently, the Info Pin is green, but supposedly when the temperature gets cold enough for the roads to start getting icy, the pin will change color to black...

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Sanny said:
Hep said:
Sanny said:
I already have a warm, furry body to snuggle up to. And clean up after. And feed. And entertain. Ok, so she has 4 legs, a tail, and a wet nose, but she's kinda cute anyway. And she never leaves the seat up. ;)
Yes, but they are not much of a conversationalist. Sure they can listen, but that's all they can do.

·
Registered
919 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Sanny said:
Hep said:
Sanny said:
Yes, but they are not much of a conversationalist. Sure they can listen, but that's all they can do.
Yes, but I know some humans who can talk but can't listen. Seems to balance out somehow. Anyway, my daughter's dog has weird vocalizations, and she's been heard to sound out "Mama". David Letterman here we come.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts