Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 300 miles from home...Car in a parking lot all day...Started it up fine...Went about one mile, up a gentle upgrade at about 30 mph, engine going, then quits, all the dash lights come on...Use electric to go to side of the road...reboot, then reboot again...Most of the lights go off, with just the check engine light and the triangle on...Reboot again, and the engine starts up just fine...Merge onto freeway, and go to a gas station...Gas fine, gas cap fine, oil fine, radiator overflow tank not over filled, so not overheating...Fire it up and drive 300 miles home, with just the check engine light on, and everything seeming to work fine...Today, the wife took it out, and said no lights whatsoever on the dash...What the hell? :roll:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Just a 2001 Prius here, so maybe I don't really know but...

My guess is that one time, the gas engine did not start quickly enough to satisfy the hybrid vehicle ECU. If so there will probably be a "P3191" code stored. The cure in for this in a 2004 Prius would be to have that ECU reprogrammed (to be more tolerant of such matters) for free at the Toyota dealer of your choice. If instead it happened in your newer 2005, then the search for cause might lead elsewhere.

Please let us know the details. Sudden engine shutoffs are very news-worthy at present.

Back in the old days, the ECU's were not reprogrammable and had to be replaced. I got one of those; it seemed like a big deal at the time, but now I just write calming replies like this one.

DAS

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Actually the early 2005's also needed a recalibration once or twice. February I think was the last version, though Kyle noticed a new version in ECUs from the factory though not available for download/upload. Haven't seen a TSB regarding a new calibration since Kyle mentioned what he noticed.

The dash lights turn off after a few uneventful trips. The CEL takes a trip or two more to turn off than MIL.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts