Toyota Prius Forum banner

low mileage on start-up?

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  gamatt 
#1 ·
Hi
Had it a week and a half now & have been surprised that the 1st couple of miles [all down-hill] register such poor mileage on the consumption screen. Other times coasting downhill the level goes up toward a hundred, but not right away. The first 5 minutes graph has always been just around 25, when later on in the drive with coasting, the graph goes higher. Avg mileage spot on the screen, about 47, which the salesman says is low because I'm drivng too fast. The mileage for startup is low whether it's in the 30's out or 40's. Is there hope of that improving after a while? [Only at 400+ miles now]
Thanks
Greg
04 white #6

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies

Hi
Had it 2 weeks today,always trying for the higher mpg, but have resigned, thanks to hearing from all of you, that the 1st 5 minutes will always be low -- 25 mpg or so. SUVs should be so lucky. Somewhere somebody got the idea I'm doing lots of short trips. Almost never; I just look at the first 5 miles and see low mpg. Now I understand why. Thanks
Greg
04 white #6

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.