Toyota Prius Forum banner

low mileage on start-up?

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  gamatt 
If I'm reading your question correctly, you're wondering why the first few minutes of your drive register low MPG?

The Prius has a "warm-up" period of a few minutes. The ICE kicks in almost immediately, even in reverse, I've found, in the first few minutes of driving. (Hence, Toyota and most users recommend combining trips and not going on many short start-and-stop trips - it defeats the purpose of owning a hybrid, since you're never really "warming up" enough to run on just the electric motor.)

I'm sure there are folks who will be able to give you a more scientific explanation, but just know that you won't get your best fuel economy until the car's been running a few minutes.

And it does get better with time. Each tankful has been getting better and better for me, and I'm only at 1200 miles. I read somewhere that you really shouldn't even focus on your mileage that much until you hit about 6,000 - that's apparently when the car starts hitting its stride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.