Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A nameless person with whom I share my house (and cars) has lost her FOB for the Prius. How much is this going to cost us (me) to replace? :(

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Hep said:
A nameless person with whom I share my house (and cars) has lost her FOB for the Prius. How much is this going to cost us (me) to replace? :(
Depends where you buy the fob, and how much your dealer charges for the reprogramming time.

Expect in the $200 range.

Expect $1000+ if you loose your last fob, as you have to replace the security ECU before programming in any new fobs if no master fob is available.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mrv said:
Hep said:
Depends where you buy the fob, and how much your dealer charges for the reprogramming time.

Expect $1000+ if you loose your last fob, as you have to replace the security ECU before programming in any new fobs if no master fob is available.
In other words, don't give her my FOB until we get the other replaced. How can you lose a key that you never need to take out of your purse? She will not hear those words, of course. Husband points for taking this well, and not rubbing it in. At least not yet. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hep said:
How can you lose a key that you never need to take out of your purse?
Have you had her dump the purse out onto the kitchen table to be sure it's really not in there? I suppose if the car can't detect it, that should be good enough, but you never know...

What we need is a FOB detector..

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mrv said:
to note, a common place for people to lose their fobs is actually in the car itself. Does it give a long beep at you when you try to lock it with your remaining fob?
I left my fob behind, and went out and tried to start it. No go.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
melgish said:
Hep said:
How can you lose a key that you never need to take out of your purse?
Have you had her dump the purse out onto the kitchen table to be sure it's really not in there? I suppose if the car can't detect it, that should be good enough, but you never know...

What we need is a FOB detector..
I will have her get in the car with ALL her purses, and see if the car starts. A fob detector really should work with smart entry! Quick, design and patent it.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Who was the last one to drive the vehicle? Did you go out together, or did she go alone?

If she went alone...It's almost reasonable to assume that the FOB is in your yard somewhere between the car and house, if not in the house. (There is the small possibility that she started the car, then pitched it out a window...but I'll leave that for you to ponder)

If you went out together, who drove home, and more importantly, who reached the car first? In other words, which FOB unlocked the door? That might help clue you in on where it is.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
melgish said:
Who was the last one to drive the vehicle? Did you go out together, or did she go alone?

If she went alone...It's almost reasonable to assume that the FOB is in your yard somewhere between the car and house, if not in the house. (There is the small possibility that she started the car, then pitched it out a window...but I'll leave that for you to ponder)

If you went out together, who drove home, and more importantly, who reached the car first? In other words, which FOB unlocked the door? That might help clue you in on where it is.
The Prius is my car. She has a Camry. When we go together, I almost always drive. It probably popped out at the restaurant. They have not found it. Good thought though.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Well, that's my point... if you were driving, your fob would have unlocked your door, but would it have unlocked the passenger door? When my wife and I climb aboard, I always hear the lock pop twice... once when I get in, then when she does. I've not tested it thouroughly, but I believe that her door only unlocks when she's got her fob... which would mean your wife had hers when she got in...unless you unlocked the door for her...

Now, own up... were you a gentleman?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
melgish said:
Well, that's my point... if you were driving, your fob would have unlocked your door, but would it have unlocked the passenger door? When my wife and I climb aboard, I always hear the lock pop twice... once when I get in, then when she does. I've not tested it thouroughly, but I believe that her door only unlocks when she's got her fob... which would mean your wife had hers when she got in...unless you unlocked the door for her...

Now, own up... were you a gentleman?
I have mine set up to unlock all doors when I touch the handle. Once in a while we hit it at the same time and get two beeps, but we don't need both. And I am always a gentleman!

More or less...

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Well, then I've exhausted all the possibilities I can suggest. Good luck, I hope you find it!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mrv said:
Hep said:

Yep, the dealer ordered a new one for $197, and we have to come in to get it "programmed" which will undoubtedly have a labor charge. The person last in possesion of the fob was shocked. Can this count as one of her Christmas presents? :wink:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hep said:
Can this count as one of her Christmas presents?
Aparently you haven't been married very long, or you would already know that the answer to this question is... Yes, BUT!

As in YES, it can, BUT only if it does not diminish the quantity or quality of the other presents in any way. In addition, you must offset the value o f this 'negative' gift by spending an equal positive amount on additional gifts. :)

And I don't recommend getting her a metal detector, in the hope that she'll use it to find your missing FOB... That can only lead to domestic violence.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Aparently you haven't been married very long, or you would already know that the answer to this question is... Yes, BUT!

As in YES, it can, BUT only if it does not diminish the quantity or quality of the other presents in any way. In addition, you must offset the value o f this 'negative' gift by spending an equal positive amount on additional gifts.
Because I'm a woman, I'm inclined to agree!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
leelee16 said:

As in YES, it can, BUT only if it does not diminish the quantity or quality of the other presents in any way. In addition, you must offset the value o f this 'negative' gift by spending an equal positive amount on additional gifts.
Because I'm a woman, I'm inclined to agree!
Welcome to the forum leelee! Always good to have input from Venus on these issues. :)

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
melgish said:
Hep said:
Can this count as one of her Christmas presents?

As in YES, it can, BUT only if it does not diminish the quantity or quality of the other presents in any way. In addition, you must offset the value o f this 'negative' gift by spending an equal positive amount on additional gifts. :)

And I don't recommend getting her a metal detector, in the hope that she'll use it to find your missing FOB... That can only lead to domestic violence.
22 years, and by now I do know what DOESN'T count as a present. It can't be anything I like more than her (even if she does like it). Nothing that is remotely connected with the performance of household chores. Nothing with an NFL logo on it. Nothing made with hops. You get the idea.
Good ideas are any gift certificate that involves the words spa, facial, seaweed wrap (I don't want to know), or massage. Clothing items that are a slightly different shade of color and style from the nearly identical ones hanging in our closet, or airline tickets to anywhere warmer than here in February.
Happy Thanksgiving friends. :lol:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
22 Years! My god, that's more than both of my marriages put together! ... What do you put in that coffee anyway?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hep,
I'll betcha that lost fob is in one of her "other" purses, or in a pocket of one of her "other" coats.

Rob

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
rpm said:
Hep,
I'll betcha that lost fob is in one of her "other" purses, or in a pocket of one of her "other" coats.

Rob
I checked them all myself. The trick is there is no need to put it in a coat pocket, because we have smart entry. It stays in the purse. She got a new, shallow purse a couple weeks ago, and she often leaves the top open where if it tipped things could easily fall out. She said if I had told her how expensive they were to replace she would have put them in the zippered pocket. It was my fault. It's alwasy my fault so I will appologize. That's how you make it 22 years. :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts