Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering leasing a Prius in February, 2006. A couple of questions:

1. How do I position myself to get the best price fir the car. As indicated in a prior post, the local Toyota dealership is talking $35,000 for a 2006 (this includes a $5,000 premium).

2. I want the navigation system, but, not necessarily some of the other options included with the package. Is there a way to pick and choose the options I want?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
The first thing you do is find another dealer. The price of $35K is at least $10K too high. Also, never pay a preium above the MSRP!!!

Go to http://www.toyota.com and price out a Prius with the options you want. It will give you an idea of what the vehicle MSRP will be, equipped the way you want it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree with firepa63. Find a new dealer. Where are you located? Maybe one of us Priites knows of a fair dealer (oxymoron?) near you.

·
Registered
370 Posts
actuary32174 said:

1. How do I position myself to get the best price fir the car. As indicated in a prior post, the local Toyota dealership is talking $35,000 for a 2006 (this includes a $5,000 premium).

2. I want the navigation system, but, not necessarily some of the other options included with the package. Is there a way to pick and choose the options I want?

Thanks for the help.
1. As others have said, don't pay over MSRP. Also, you are aware that leasing will not qualify you for the tax incentives. Purchase only. Perhaps, if you run the numbers, in this case it might make more sense to buy.

2. In the past, NAV was not an ala carte option. I doubt it will be in the 2006 model year.

P.S. - You don't say where you're located, so we can't recommend a dealer for you.

DGStan

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
dgstan said:
actuary32174 said:

Thanks for the help.
1. As others have said, don't pay over MSRP. Also, you are aware that leasing will not qualify you for the tax incentives. Purchase only. Perhaps, if you run the numbers, in this case it might make more sense to buy.

2. In the past, NAV was not an ala carte option. I doubt it will be in the 2006 model year.

P.S. - You don't say where you're located, so we can't recommend a dealer for you.

I do agree with Mr, DGstan. 06 Prius Lease vs purchase, Lease lengths
up to 48 months. Finance can go to 72-84 months. but payment much higher than a lease if comapred to 48x lease or 48x finance. Tax credit, Tax deductions so far only if you are going to own the Prius ? Pay only MSRP be a 05 or 06 model.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I agree with the others...don't lease, it's a lot more trouble than it's worth. You may have cheaper monthly payments to start, but it is very difficult to keep within the mileage limits they set, and going over that limit costs you big time. And the "option to buy" at the end of the term does indeed cost you $10K over the original MSRP, on a depreciated vehicle. It's just not worth it, especially with the current tax incentives.

You can't get a model that only has the NAV system but no other perks. I'd recommend going with the basic package and getting a portable NAV system...there are some excellent ones out there, and I'm quite happy with my Garmin c330 I use with my own AM package (NAVless) Prius.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Since you are buying in February, you would qualify for the $2750 tax CREDIT, assuming you don't get hit with the alternative minimum tax. Factor this in with the Lease Vs. Buy decision.

I believe there are a few dealers down there that charge only MSRP. If not, then maybe a trip to NC is in order.

·
Registered
171 Posts
This is not a car that you should lease. In 4 years it will still be reliable and still getting fantastic gas mileage. But, of course, if you don't have a bunch of cash, YOU won't own one anymore. I suspect the "residual value" will be astronomical. Particularly if gas prices are hovering around $3. THINK , THINK, THINK.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Since you are buying in February, you would qualify for the $2750 tax CREDIT
Because of the 60,000 vehicle limit over half of Toyota hybrid purchasers in 2006 will not get a credit. Don't count on this.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Because of the 60,000 vehicle limit over half of Toyota hybrid purchasers in 2006 will not get a credit. Don't count on this.

You can count on getting the credit as long as you don't qualify for AMT. They won't hit that number till the third quarter, and then there is a gradual phase out -- read the law carefully!

It's my understanding that Toyota will not lease the Prius.

You can lease cars from other sources than the manufacturer -- but I still would not suggest leasing this car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You can count on getting the credit as long as you don't qualify for AMT. They won't hit that number till the third quarter, and then there is a gradual phase out -- read the law carefully!
Kirby: Thanks for clearing that up.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
kirby said:

It's my understanding that Toyota will not lease the Prius.

You can lease cars from other sources than the manufacturer -- but I still would not suggest leasing this car.
No, Toyota Financial is the only one who _Leases_the_Prius. No other banks will lease the "Hybrids"

A $27.000 MSRP list Prius has the follwing residual values:
$27.000 price will drcrease to: in 24 mos= $13.765, in 36 mos= $12.063
in 48 mos= $9.711.00 So in 24 months you have paid-down from $27.000
down to $13.235 this "Residual Value" or Guaranteed Buy back value is very pessimistic or in another words: Great value when and if you want to
buy it to own the very Prius that you were _renting._ Oh, in addition:
Toyota will re-finance the "Residual value" at the "New car finance rate"
Call it lease end purchase program ! or simply pay Cash with no interest !
Imagine a $27.000 Nav Packaged top-of-line Prius that you can buy for only $9.711.00 ! Shoot I will be offering to trade-in or sell-it -to-me at least $15.000 for these lease end Prius !

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Yes, but that $9K car will probably have 48K miles on it and be 4 years old!
Correct, DanMan-San. However 4 years old and 48k miles odometer-accumulated PRII will bring $15K to put it _Conservatively_ though, especially with the NAV option !
Besides, You can buy the extended Service Contract/Warranty for longer
peace of mind in keeping owning the Prius of your choice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts