Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All;
We just picked up our Prius yesterday afternoon and I want flames on the side. Trouble is, I haven't been able to find anybody in the Santa Cruz/San Jose area that'll do it for less then $2500. Does anybody know of a place or a person they can point me to.

Appreciate any help
--GD

·
Registered
224 Posts
I don't know about anyone else on here, but I find that image rather disturbing. To me, flames on the side of a car evokes an image of a gas-guzzling racer, which the Prius definitely isn't...or, a man that is trying to do the proverbial compensation for something...but that just may be my own misguided little opinion.

·
Registered
110 Posts
paul, if imay, i respectfully disagree. i think flames would be cool. i know not dignified but a hell of a lot of fun. go for it.let prcticality and "fuddudiness"(may be new word) be darned!!

·
Registered
928 Posts
I think you should put flames on one side and lightning bolts on the other.

Sorry I can't help you with the California part of the question.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
hmm...flames...and then--, maybe body piercing :?:

a gold or silver hoop in the gas cap door would be functional as well as decorative.

maybe a nice matched pair of earrings for the mud flaps ?

...and a navel ring, for the emblem on the hood :oops:

ahh youth :wink:

juuuust joking...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Have you considered decals? They don't have the dimensionality, but they can also be removed if/when you decide to sell and that might help sell the car faster and for more money.

The place that applied my 3M invisible bra also does decals. They must have had 100 examples. Flames, lightening bolts, flowers, whatever you want. Lots of different colors too. And probably cheaper than paint as well.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Godiva said:
...The place that applied my 3M invisible bra also does decals...
Kinda like a temporary tatoo! ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Magnetic flames

When I still had Celeste (sniff, my 03 MINI Cooper S),
I made magnetic flames for her for easy removal.
Signage material, cut it myself:

Now I'm thinking about some mag material 'lectric lightning bolts for 'Elettra', my 05Prius....

·
Registered
110 Posts
.... which is really good if you have a tendency to have your girlfriends name on your arm. that way you can just change stencils! :wink: [/quote]

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Re: Magnetic flames

MGBGT said:
Signage material, cut it myself:...Now I'm thinking about some mag material 'lectric lightning bolts for 'Elettra', my 05Prius....
That is EXCELLENT!! What a wonderful idea! I wonder if I could make zebra stripes. I would like that...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Flames

Have you seen "Fire" painted on cars as opposed to "Flames"? Fire looks like...actual fire.

It's a several stage process so it would probably be in an higher price range but it really turns heads!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have seen the fire paint job on a few cars in Long Beach. It looks great, but definatley takes alot of time to do. There was show on Cable recently that discussed and showed the process. If you really want to do flames on your Prius, I would suggest talking with a good Pin Striper, it could be more cost effective. Many Hot Rod owners opt for the Pin Striped look. It is clean and simple and offers a neat old-school effect that would go well with the modern look of the Prius

·
Registered
121 Posts
Magnetic signage is a great idea!

And I'll be it can be painted too. So you'd get a combination of a paint job and a decal but it would be even easier to remove and put back.

I love that idea. I might actually do that.

Plus I had an invisible bra put on and I don't have to worry about not being able to put paint or decals over where the film is. I can put the magnetic stuff anywhere!

Where do I look for this stuff in the phone book? Under signage or in the automotive section?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
One issue with any sign or decal (or magnetic flames) - sun fade. If you cover up a portion of the body paint, it will not "age" the same as the other parts. You may end up with a shadow. Not saying you will, but could. Seen it happen. YMMV

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Re: Magnetic flames

MGBGT said:
Signage material, cut it myself:
Now I'm thinking about some mag material 'lectric lightning bolts for 'Elettra', my 05Prius....
Uh..OH. This might generate several comments & questions from mpg junkies, as to the effect on mileage caused by magnetic interference with the electrons as they travel from the sazu-filter to the drive potaxanonemetr :?

juuust joking...

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
No no, Bear... It's the increased drag from the thickness of the magnetic stuff on the outside of the car, along with the increased weight from the flames. Would offset the increased mpg from thinner soled shoes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: Thanks to all for suggestions and comments... Prius folk always make me smile :)

As for the flames, I've asked around and it looks like it'll cost me at least $1000 for both sides (Quarter Panel back). I think I'm going to look into vinyl as some of you have suggested (costs about $400 to custom make).

As for the Prius:
*Black -AM package
* 15%Tint on all back windows
* 50% Tine on Driver & Passenger window
* Removed front license plate and repaired holes from where the licensxe plate was attatched.
* 405miles as of this morning

--GD

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
GeekyDragon said:
* Removed front license plate and repaired holes from where the licensxe plate was attatched.
--GD
Your original question sounded like you are in CA. It is illegal to drive without both a front and rear plate in CA.

News article dated Sept 2004, says in 2003, 30,000 tickets were written to CA drivers lacking two plates. (doesnt say how much fine is)

Some drivers complain there was no place to mount a front plate on their model car. Makes no difference, front & rear required.

Article also states new law was signed in 2004 requiring dealers to equip all vehicles with brackets for a front plate.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I live in California and have gotten a ticket for not having my front license plate. Granted at the time (8 or so years ago) it was just a fix-it ticket, but every car since I have had the plate on. The Prius would look great without the front plate, but I am not willing to risk whatever fine is associated with not having one.

BTW, GeekyDragon, did you ever look into the pin striping idea I suggested earlier in this thread.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts