Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear PriusOnline Members,

I'm looking to buy a 2006 Prius in Portland, Oregon. Could anyone who's bought a Prius in that area comment on their experience? I'm particularly interested in whether a deposit was requred (refundable or non-refundable), if the dealer was honest, and if the car was purchased at MSRP with no additional dealer markups. Good or bad experiences, either would be greatly appreciated!

While on this topic, I've been following this forum for a few months now and wish there was more consumer-advocacy posts. In addition to all the overflowing Prius praise, how about praise and warnings regarding Prius dealers, Prius service departments, etc.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Since you have not gotten any local replies as yet I'll put my foot in the door. First off, being in Portland I would suggest making some call's to all the Toyota dealers in your area and see if you can find one selling for MSRP. So far in the past 18 months I have seen none mentioned here. That being said I would say that there are no reputable dealers there that I would feel safe bringing my car back to for service. Second, if you do find one ask if anyone at the dealership owns a Prius. Most salesmen, it has been indicated have a hard time even getting a Prius started.
I'm sure you will get some replies from some owners closer to home. Ask them what they paid for their cars.
Once you get your car, ask here before you even think of bringing it to a dealer for any kind of service, and for peace of mind, "DO" shop for an extended warranty plan.
I really like my 04 but it does have it's faults.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Portland Toyota Dealer

Call Jerry Rouselle in Fleet/Internet Sales at Broadway Toyota. Good guy. No nonsense. They sell at MSRP with no mark-up, but ONLY if you go through fleet sales. Avoid their retail sales guys... everytime I walk through their lot or show room, about 5 of the retail sales guys try and leech onto me. Some people may like that attention, but not my style. Just say thanks but no-thanks and tell them you are working with fleet sales. If you order through fleet sales, you will have a short wait, but they don't charge a high deposit like some dealers. The "retail" guys may have new Prius on the lot with no wait... but you will pay at least $1000 premium and deal with all the typical car dealership BS when "negotiating".

I bought my 2002 Prius through another local dealer (Tonkin) and had a bad experience. I pick up my 2006 from Broadway shortly after the first of the year :D

Broadway Toyota has a good service department too. They don't have the glitzy waiting room, but always have been fair with pricing and work gets done when and how they say it will be done.

PS: If you decide you want a good condition used 2002 with 38K miles and nav system, PM me :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Chiro said:
Dear PriusOnline Members,

I'm looking to buy a 2006 Prius in Portland, Oregon. Could anyone who's bought a Prius in that area comment on their experience? I'm particularly interested in whether a deposit was requred (refundable or non-refundable), if the dealer was honest, and if the car was purchased at MSRP with no additional dealer markups. Good or bad experiences, either would be greatly appreciated!

While on this topic, I've been following this forum for a few months now and wish there was more consumer-advocacy posts. In addition to all the overflowing Prius praise, how about praise and warnings regarding Prius dealers, Prius service departments, etc.
Paul Johnson at Broadway Toyota has the following as of 12/30/05:
Base Silver Pine Mica
Package 4 in Gold
Package 7 in White

All at MSRP.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Buying a Prius at MSRP

I venture to say that ALL the Portland area dealers will sell you a Prius at MSRP if you're firm and tell them that's ALL you'll pay. If they give you any BS about it, just get up and tell them you're leaving. I doubt you'll get through the front door before they change their tune and offer the car at MSRP.

Normally, when you buy a car, you never even pay MSRP (if you're firm about it.) However, with the Prius, you'll be hard pressed to find one for less than MSRP. The good news that even paying MSRP, the depreciation factor for the Prius is so LOW that you may be able to sell the car after driving it for a year for about what you paid for it.

From my limited observation about dealers and the Prius, it appears to me that they mostly stick to MSRP for their new cars, but if they get a used one, the advertised price will then probably be up to a couple of thousand more that the MSRP price for the car when it was new. If this is a true statement, I suspect it is because Toyota puts pressure on their dealers to stick to the MSRP price on their new vehicles. It's just not good public relations for Toyota's dealers to appear to take advantage of the situation. At least that's my take on this issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
PDX dealers

I bought my '04 from Broadway online and have no complaints. That was early and I can't vouch for more recent experiences. I understand Thomason demanded way over list and advertised no waiting.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input!

Thank you to those who replied to my request for Portland dealers. Broadway Toyota via their internet/fleet sales seems like a good place to start. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I checked with all the Portland dealers. Apparently, the Gladstone dealership has 28 Prii on the lot as we speak.

I ended up going with my local dealer in Roseburg because I've dealt with them before and they were very good to me. Also offered me more for my trade than Gladstone did.

Good luck. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thomason NO! Vancouver Toyota YES!

When I was looking for my Silver Cloud last March, Thomason REFUSED to even discuss selling me a Prius without a $1500 markup on MSRP. I went to Vancouver Toyota and got the car I wanted for MSRP-$200!

There's a reason all those Prii are on the lot in Gladstone.

BTW, I paid no sales tax at Vancouver since I have an Oregon address and the car was to be registered in Oregon. 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts