Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
190 Posts
hudel said:
Does spending $800 for LoJack system make sense for a 2004 Prius.

I check the status for Prius and they are very very low...

It seems LoJack is an over kill security expense.... what do you think??
:roll:
Well, I looked into it, mainly just to bring my insurance down... Figured at the least it would pay for itself over time.

Direct quote from progressive... With a great driving record and a good driver discount, over the course of an ENTIRE YEAR (2 terms) I would save "about $11" if I installed lojack or an equivilent theft deterrent system.

Combine that with smart entry/start and I say no... not worth it... UNLESS you live in a neighborhood SO riddled with crime and auto thefts that you choose to get it strictly out of paranoia.

· Registered
190 Posts
You don't have to live in a neighborhood riddled with crime to be concerned about it. People who want to steal don't necessarily stay in crime-ridden neighborhoods. They often leave those neighborhoods for their criminal activities. In fact, they often go to nicer neighborhoods to do their crimes, because people in nicer neighborhoods have nicer stuff and are often are ill-prepared to defend themselves.
You know, I was actually half relating to my neighborhood. I live in the crap part of Long Beach (7th and Orange for those that may know it) and not only is it all apartments through here so we have no option of parking in a garage or secure lot, but we actually just park wherever we may HAPPEN to find a spot along the street.

A LOT could happen to it on the street. In fact a while back it got keyed and dented by some a$$hole... Where I'll be moving to north of Seattle, I can at least put it in my GARAGE and have a little more sense of ease at night. Not wondering who is walking by it since it IS a bad neighborhood... I'm actually moving to a GREAT area.

Sure, not saying someone couldn't break in to the condo, open the garage door and take it... but that's a LOT more effort than something up the street (especially that isn't necessarily in earshot of my residence should the alarm go off)

Not saying anything bad about Lojack, it just doesn't seem like it ever gets to a point where it pays for itself... and I think in the long run, wouldn't having THEFT on your insurance policy be just the same and less money (especially out of pocket and all at once?) (And I'm aware that theft on insurance policies won't help track it SHOULD it be stolen... But if they steal it and scrap it for parts... I'd rather HAVE the value than a salvaged title and half a car...)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.