Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, folks!

I'm an avid AM talk-radio listener here in Central Florida, and about two weeks ago, I began to hear some local radio spots laying claim to various satellite radio problems. The ads are quite creative, and in retrospect, I'm surprised that they didn't begin earlier.

After all, local radio is profitable by way of advertisement sales. XM and Sirius are profitable by way of...er, well...I guess they're not profitable yet, are they?

Beyond that, I thought this was interesting, and I decided to start a thread on this. To those of you who have an XM or Sirius system (whether in your Prius, a different vehicle, or in your home), can you tell us about any problems you may be experiencing? What about the benefits, and do they make it all worth it anyhow?

If you don't have satellite radio, are you thinking about getting it, as I am? What's holding you back, if anything?

Please provide any other details or issues that you think we may benefit from.

Thanks, and have a great day!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've got a Sirius PNP system in my Prius (Brix Streamer), and I have NO problems with it or the Sirius programming. I haven't listened to local radio with the exception of the local NPR station since I got the Sirius system. I am just waiting for an AUX-IN kit for the Prius!

Peter
Miami, FL

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
I recall the fiasco with the Iridium (sp?) satellite phones. Cost too much, not enough of a user base to support the operation, and the biggest problem: the satellites dying in space (big lawsuit there, I know people who were deposed for the trial...) So, I just don't trust Satellite Radio yet.

Besides, I don't spend enough time in my car, and when I do I just listen to NPR. My husband also doesn't spend much time in his car (short commutes), and he just prefers listening to his iPod (all music that he owns/likes), rather than listen to what some station decides he should listen to (radio or satellite radio).

It just wouldn't be worth it to us.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Xm radio will set you back roughly $10 a month, not bad for digital quality music anywhere anytime. Not sure if these guys are making big profitts yet, but think of the outlay once you have paid you music royalties and a few employee's. Hook upto your satellite and spead the music!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the great replies, folks!

Can anybody tell me if these alleged "hiccups" (radio dropping out and coming back) are really a problem, or is it just a lot of ..er.."noise" about nothing?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Our truck came with XM built in so we had a three month free trial

We didn't renew

1) local radio stations are good enough

2) dont spend enough time away from #1

3) didn't find a XM station we would listen to alot ( the 80's station was the closest but I dont like MJ songs in my head )

It does have some demo stations that rotate so we have been traveling and listen to one of those for awile

Was kinda nice not ever having static
Did sometimes lose the signal when directly on the north side of a building

I usually take the "competition" slinging mud as endorsement of them being a threat

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can't live without it

I've had the Delphi Roady XM Satellite receiver in my Prius now for almost 4 months and I absolutely can't live without it. My daily work commute puts me in the car for >3 hours, so it has been a godsend.

The only times I've had problems with the signal cutting out are when I'm driving directly under an overpass, or under a huge bank of electrical wires (although they're packed in next to some dense tree coverage, so that might be it instead).

Being able to listen to different genres of music. comedy and news makes the commute livable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts