Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to haul short distance (7 miles) 40 pound bags of wood pellets for a woodburning pellet stove/fireplace in my Prius. How many bags or how much weight of pellets can I haul? Thank you!!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
KTPhil said:
All together, now...
"It's in the owner's manual."

Load capacity is 800# including passengers.
In the what?
:lol:

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
What, prius07?

Don't you have "auto climate control" in your prius? How old is it? It has an old-fashioned wood-burning pellet stove/fireplace in your Prius [for a heat source (hee,hee)]? Is there room for that inside the passenger cabin or is it another energy source of the hybrid system under the hood (hee,hee)?

Just having a little fun with you here. Take it lightly.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hep said:
KTPhil said:
All together, now...
"It's in the owner's manual."

Load capacity is 800# including passengers.
In the what?
:lol:
Technical correction, at least for the 2005 Prius. The manual says 825 lbs, including passengers.

Also, it is always an occasion when talking about this to mention the website: http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Workshop/Overload.htm , where you can see how some people load their car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thomme said:
prius07 said:
a woodburning pellet stove/fireplace in my Prius.
Idunno. A fireplace in your Prius seems ill-advised. I find the existing climate control system to be perfectly adequate.
Oh I dunno, makes for kind of a nice mood effect, crackling wood fire on a coold night. Just be sure to close the damper when the fire goes out though. :D :D :D

·
Registered
457 Posts
The 04 Manual says: "Load Capacity: Passengers and Luggage: 845 pounds". That's presumably figured with a full tank. Go empty..throw in another bag..

·
Registered
991 Posts
My 06 manual says 810 pounds :(
I told the people in my department they weren't allowed to fill it up (we packed it to capacity before i read my manual), now they're all mad cause I called them FAT.. haha. :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
If you search the forums for a thread titled "Nebraska ate my Prius," I recount my tale of a cross-country trip.

In short: We had four adults, one infant, and a full trunk of gear. While I never did weigh the gear, the passengers were a total of about 800 pounds, and the trunk was quite literally completely full, with the 'hideaway compartment' lid removed, and sliding shade removed, and packed by a Tetris expert completely to the glass. I'd estimate a conservative minimum of 100 pounds of stuff. (Plus the gear packed in the back seat's footspace in front of the baby, and a few assorted personal bags in the footspace of the various passengers. Purses, my laptop and camera case, etc: i.e. things that were needed on the drive itself.)

This was for a 3000 mile each way trip. Each half driven nonstop, with a week in between coming and going. The only problem was when a tire disintegrated on a really nasty gravel road. (I suppose overloading could have contributed, but I did have the tire pressure at Toyota spec, instead of my normal +4 PSI.)

·
Registered
457 Posts
ehurtley

"If you search the forums for a thread titled "Nebraska ate my Prius," I recount my tale of a cross-country trip."
I'd like to read that one. I'm getting a "No Results" on Search. How bout a q Link..?
~jd~

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.