Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I traded in my Treo 600 for a Treo 650, just to gain Blue tooth and now I can't get it to work with the Prius. I realatively good at this stuff, but can't get it to work. I have gotten the phone to work with a headset. And I know that the Treo isn't on the approved list from Toyota, but several posters here have said they were able to use it. I get nothing.

Here's what happens, I go into the phone to add devices

I go into the Prius menu to add phones

the prius appears on my phone screen as a local device -- but off to the right is a small key, this does not appear when I add the headset, I think this may be the "key" to my problem -- no pun intended

anyway, I then type the paskeycode into my phone from the Prius screen, my phone then takes a moment and says, done and that I can now use my phone with the device

The Prius however still has the screen with the passkey on it, and does not add my phone.

What I think lead to this problem is several months ago, right after I got the car, my sister came to visit. She had a Treo 650, I still had the 600. I was anxious to try bluetooth. So I added her phone. It had some problems staying connected, but that was the first week the Treo came out, and I read about a patch on the Treo board. Anyway, after she went back home, every morning my car was looking for her phone. I got really annoyed with that and played around with every screen I could find to disable my sister's phone from my Prius. I think I screwed up something somewhere.

Please help! It isn't like the dealer could help me.

Spike

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
It's going to involve sacrificing a chicken, kicking the left front tire, putting your foot in the glove box, and running around the car twice, counter clockwise, under the full moon.

That's what ALL the best Prius fixes require!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Sanny said:
It's going to involve sacrificing a chicken, kicking the left front tire, putting your foot in the glove box, and running around the car twice, counter clockwise, under the full moon.

That's what ALL the best Prius fixes require!
Did you get all that from memory, or do you keep notes? :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
How about a legitimate effort to help? Try making a call from your phone once it says its completed and while the Prius is still waiting. Making the call will often complete the pairing.

You don't say which carrier you have. That makes a difference with the Palm phones. There have been several updates recently that correct many of the bluetooth pairing problems. The latest one for Sprint phones is version 1.12. Check the palm.com support site to see if there is an update for your carrier since that would likely provide more complete functionality.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have AT&T.

And I will try the call thing when I get home -- took the bike today.

I have Bluetooth 1.0??

Spike

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have to second what Carmyne said. I ran into the same problem several months ago when I updated my Treo 600 to the 650. When you are pairing the devices and the Treo says that it found the Prius, but the Prius can't find the Treo, initiate a call from the Treo by dialing it with the Treo itself, and during the course of this call the Prius will find the Treo. After I did it the Bluetooth has been working very well.

Only other issue I have heard about is that if you are in a call and another call comes in, the original call will be dropped. I generally don't receive enough calls to where I have actually experienced this, but if you do have a higher call volume than I have, be on the lookout for this as well.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Spike said:
anyway, I then type the paskeycode into my phone from the Prius screen, my phone then takes a moment and says, done and that I can now use my phone with the device

The Prius however still has the screen with the passkey on it, and does not add my phone.
Spike, when you get to this point, place a call on the phone. This seems to knock something loose in the Prius "headset" logic and all will be well. I found this suggestion over on PriusChat and it did the trick for me. I have Cingular (Orange) Treo 650 and it works just fine (after that initial pairing).

A note: In my contact app, i created a category called "Prius". Then using the desktop software i put "new" contacts for the people i have need to contact (while in the car) into this category. When you enter the phone numbers for these people make sure the phone numbers have absolutely no punctuation in them at all.

When you get the Prius in transfer mode, you can transfer the entire category from the Treo into the Prius.

Good luck!

-- michael

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
CarMyne said:
How about a legitimate effort to help?
Buzzkill... ;)
Spike said:
no chickens handy, at least not live ones, but there is a Llama form nearby....
You only need half of the llama, though. So save some for when you want to turn off the reverse beep.

(Is a reverse beep a "peeb"?)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
crap, forgot to try this last night when I got home. Had to take the dog to obediance class

and LTU -- have you read some of my posts? I am not nearly popular enough to get two calls at the same time! ;-)

Spike

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well I tried the old start the process then try a call idea, it didn't work

I really think it has to do with the fact that when my phone finds the car, I get a little key icon next to it. It does not do that with the hands free headset I have.

Spike

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Spike said:
well I tried the old start the process then try a call idea, it didn't work
Of course it didn't work. Nobody listens when we try to tell them about the chicken, full moon, glove box, and left front tire. Oh, and the naked run around the car, counterclockwise. Live and learn, I say.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm not positive but the key icon may mean that the treo already has the Prius as a trusted device. A yellow key usually signifies a trusted device. If so, you may need to delete the trusted device from the treo and then start the pairing process from scratch. Once the treo says it's paired and while the Prius is still waiting, try making a call.

Or, you might want to try this instead:

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/639-1.htm

It is a rom update for Cingular Treos and is supposed to contain a car kit update.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Treo 650

1) It's my understanding that the Treo 650 won't handle two Bluetooth devices simultaneously... so it's either your headset, or the HandsFree Prius device.

2) Software v1.07 will not do the job. You need version 1.12 thru 1.15 (depending upon your provider, except Verizon, which uses v1.03-VZW).

I'd highly recommend that you upgrade your software before you go
through the headache that goes along with an older version.

Go here to see how to check your version number: http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC ... =obj(38344)

That website will also link you to the (provider-specific) updater download site. If you want to go directly to the updater download page, it's here:
http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/treo650.html

FWIW I just purchased a Sprint PCS, which was already upgraded, and I had no trouble whatsoever connecting to my Prius (except for the phonebook, which doesn't translate well).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts