Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

A little help please, I'm a Prius neophyte, still haven't even put gas in it yet! I keep reading about "lifetime mpg" and can't find where to view that in my car. Is this something that all of you are simply figuring out or is there a place to see the computer's calculation of this?

Please be gentle, if it's something painfully simple just be nice, okay?! :oops:

Thanks!

·
Registered
736 Posts
lifetime mpg

If I'm not mistaken, the earlier Prius models had that info stored in the computer. Starting with the '04, it is no longer available, so you have to keep track for yourself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
On your spreadsheets or logbooks, do many of you keep track of the ambient temperature when you do your fills? Seems that some people talk about differences in quantity filled at different temps.

Ann

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
The Honda Hybrids have a Lifetime MPG meter and a trip MPG meter.

The Toyota Prius only has the trip MPG meter.

On a Classic 2001-2003 Prius, the Consumption Screen MPG odometer would only reset if you press the Reset button, or if you had the 12v battery disconnected for a long period of time. So, it would be possible to have a lifetime MPG there, by giving up use of the trip MPG function. Only problem - the Consumption Screen odometer rolls over at 9999 miles. (Sadly I've missed both times my Consumption Screen odometer rolled over on my 2001, now over 25,000 miles since reset.)

On a 2004-? Prius, the Consumption screen odometer resets whenever you press the Reset button, or after a gas fillup. (Probably the long 12v battery disconnect too...) Unless you do some fill-up tricks, you won't be able to use it as a lifetime MPG calculator.

Usually the reported lifetime MPG on a Prius is from someone recording their fillup/odometer data, carefully keeping track of how much gas they've put into their car, using a notebook or a spreadsheet program.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am becoming a MPG Junkie!!!! 1500 miles with a lifetime @ 43.05 not too bad but hopes of getting better!!!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Life Time MPG

driving in your bare feet to feel oneness with you car..

Wow...Bare feet touching the fly-by-wire throttle..!! I hadn't thought of that.. :idea: I love it and will begin tomorrow. Driving a Prius is more than just a trip down the road..it's an emotional experience. I'm going to the garage right now and hug my car. Are there any established protocols that..? Thank you my brothers.... ~jd~

·
Registered
928 Posts
Re: Life Time MPG

ken1784 said:
JDavies said:
Wow...Bare feet touching the fly-by-wire throttle..!! I hadn't thought of that.. :idea:
A lot of Japanese Mileage enthusiasts are now using only bare big toe for the precise throttle control. :)

[email protected]
Uh oh
Hey An04Prius (aka polar bear),
Time for you to learn Japanese and take your rehab show on the road (ocean liner?).

:) :)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

RSnyder said:
ken1784 said:
JDavies said:
Wow...Bare feet touching the fly-by-wire throttle..!! I hadn't thought of that.. :idea:
A lot of Japanese Mileage enthusiasts are now using only bare big toe for the precise throttle control. :)

[email protected]
Uh oh
Hey An04Prius (aka polar bear),
Time for you to learn Japanese and take your rehab show on the road (ocean liner?).

:) :)
Thank you for your confidence NJ-PIKACHU-san (hope I didnt say anything bad :? ) But there is so much work to be done here in the states, I dont feel I can leave all these lost soles :wink:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

JDavies said:
driving in your bare feet to feel oneness with you car..

Wow...Bare feet touching the fly-by-wire throttle..!! I hadn't thought of that.. :idea: I love it and will begin tomorrow. Driving a Prius is more than just a trip down the road..it's an emotional experience. I'm going to the garage right now and hug my car. Are there any established protocols that..? Thank you my brothers.... ~jd~
you do so at your own risk !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts