Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Prius-ers:
I've attached my plate and a special plate holder and I'm bothered by the rattle anytime I shut the hatch. As you know, there are only two top mounting screw holes. Anybody drilled new bottom holes or have another solution?
Gary in Michigan

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hmmm... hadn't thought of that. Doesn't bother me, but might bother my wife (she didn't like the backup beep, either). Thanks for the info. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Have you tried an auto parts store for other screws?

I put my plates on yesterday for the first time :D and was amazed to see that the rear plate lay perfectly flat. Of course it had to be rather flat to begin with, and there may be some truth to the joke that you may own a hybrid if you bend your (front) plate to reduce drag.

I agree with Richard. What you put between your plate and your Prius, stays between your plate and your Prius. In my case I attached the plate without any frame at all and was impressed with the fit and appearance.

I hope your frame did not include a plastic coating over the face of the plate. That is illegal in many states (where they sell them for off-roading use only), and the plastic tends to make it hard for law enforcement to identify your vehicle (never a good thing - let's help them do their job).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used tried using an advhesive putty made by 3M.

Cost $2.79 at Walgreen's.

Positioned small square pieces between the license plate & plater holder in three different spots.

Lost that rattle altogether.

Fishlips :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rattle in Back

I too have been having quite a rattle in the back at slow speeds for about a month or so. I was sure it was the tire jack or the jack. So, a couple weeks ago I removed everything from the back and it still rattled. Then I thought of driving ( just around the block ) with the back hatch open. And, much to my surprise the rattle was gone. Then I searched here last week and saw this rattle regarding the license plate. I was sure it was way to loud to be the plate. But, today I removed the plate and its dealer name stuff. And NO Ratlle!!!! I placed the plate back on and tightened tight and still no rattle.
Thank you all so much!!! :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
I take it you all have license plate "frames. My dealer installed a set on my car with his dealership name on them which I promptly replaced with a sert of chrome with the Toyota Logo and the word PRIUS on them. Since car has no position for bottom screws I overlapped bottom 1/4 inch (both sides) of rear plate with a strip of cut down "duct tape. This disappears from sight when frame is put on and so does "rattle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No frame on mine.

I saw one I might consider on Saturday. Parents from all over were visiting their children where my son attends college in St. Louis, and I saw a parked car (so I couldn't chat with the driver) with plates for a Toyota dealer in Kentucky.

The dealer is named Kerry Toyota. I googled and found locations in Devon and Florence, just across the river from Dayton, Ohio and not far from Indiana.

If you map the cities in the area, there are many colorful names. That's all I'm going to say. But this is one frame I would think of using.

·
Registered
9 Posts
License Plate Mounting

Here's a thought. My dealer mounted the rear plate with self tapping sheet metal screws. The Prius is pre-tapped for metric screws. As far as I can tell the SM screws have not damaged the metric threads (go figure), I just have to remember to tell them I want the right screws next time I go in.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You're, uhh, screwed. The self-tapping screws have almost certainly damaged the original metric tap.

What kinda dealers do stupid **** like this, he asked rhetorically?

Those who have not yet received their cars are advised to pick up their plates from the dealer and install them themselves. It's easy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts