Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
A direct sub for a Li-Ion battery could be a problem, since the optimal charging/discharging algorithm is different than for a NiMH. The HV and HV Battery ECUs would probably need reprogramming. Granted, the way the Prius handles the charge/discharge cycles, it may not matter much.

The other problem with a standard Li-Ion battery is safety. Li-Ions have a strong potential to combust when something goes wrong, like a short. Now there is a new manufacturing technique that was developed to minimize this danger, but I don't think it is quite ready for installing into vehicles on a mass scale yet.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I was also wondering if, down the road, Toyota would offer a newer battery technology (along with a required S/W update), or just leave them alone. I expect the answer is no, since it might require EPA tests to prove it still meets the smog regs. Also, it would undermine new car sales for Toyota.

I am resigned to a car that will have "stale" technology in a few years. But since I keep cars forever, I'll just have to "settle" for 45-50mpg!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
KTPhil said:
I was also wondering if, down the road, Toyota would offer a newer battery technology (along with a required S/W update), or just leave them alone. I expect the answer is no, since it might require EPA tests to prove it still meets the smog regs. Also, it would undermine new car sales for Toyota.

I am resigned to a car that will have "stale" technology in a few years. But since I keep cars forever, I'll just have to "settle" for 45-50mpg!
I believe Atilla asked the Toyota engineers and recieved the answer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.