Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
If it becomes available for the Lexus in N.A., it should become available for the Prius as well. The Prius has been ready for it since MY 2004. It's only one or two ECUs more, plus wiring of course. The MFD is already aware of it, as one can see when in the diagnostic mode.

·
Registered
736 Posts
hyperion said:
You would pay $4000 to admit you don't have the ability to park your car?
Good one, Hyperion! I suspect that you, as did I, had to parallel park your car during your first driving test in order to get a license. Is that even required anymore? I can still remember the parking drill that was taught to us in behind the wheel training by a highschool gym teacher. He made it easy! I have to admit, however, that I was intrigued by the technology as I watched a video of a car parking itself.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I was required to parallel park in NY 20 years ago. It wasn't required to do so between 2 cars though, only behind one, and you had to be within 12 inches of the curb.
Here in FL, you only have to perpendicular park between two cars, as in a parking lot.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Roger V said:
hyperion said:
You would pay $4000 to admit you don't have the ability to park your car?
Good one, Hyperion! I suspect that you, as did I, had to parallel park your car during your first driving test in order to get a license. Is that even required anymore? I can still remember the parking drill that was taught to us in behind the wheel training by a highschool gym teacher. He made it easy! I have to admit, however, that I was intrigued by the technology as I watched a video of a car parking itself.
Both of my kids had to parallel park to get licensed. We went to a nearby church lot and practiced. I stood in place as one of the "flags" to park between. :shock:

·
Registered
992 Posts
California no longer REQUIRES that you can parallel park your car. If I am not mistaken, it used to be an auto-fail if you hit the curb or did not park within x range of the curb (they would give you two chances). Now, its just a minor "point deduction" on the allotted points you are allowed to be marked off.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Auto-Prk feature ?

The Prius is already the easiest vehicle to "point and Park !

I will go nuts if I ever sit in the car and see and feel the Auto Park
does it for me ...

If $4000, option. then will be my extra battery installed to my Prius and enjoy the long stealth driving feel instead.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well, $4000 for auto-park seems silly. But what about:

Air conditioning. Just open the windows. Sweat won't hurt you.

Electric windows. What's so hard about turning the crank?

Power steering. It's just a little more force for a small car.

GPS. I can buy a map for $5.95.

Cell phone. Payphones work just fine.

Cruise control. For lazy people.

Radio. Sing or talk to the guy in the next car.

Leather. Costs more than a nice couch, which lasts a lot longer than your car.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
MtnTraveler said:
Well, $4000 for auto-park seems silly. But what about:

Air conditioning. Just open the windows. Sweat won't hurt you.
Well, in some climates, it can be more than a nuisance.

Electric windows. What's so hard about turning the crank?
It may be more difficult to get to other windows other than the driver window to acccomodate your AC comment.

GPS. I can buy a map for $5.95.
Adequate maps have gone much higher in price, not to mention the distraction on the road to read the darn things.

Cell phone. Payphones work just fine.
Harder and harder to come by. I know, I still use a pager.

Cruise control. For lazy people.
Helps keep speeding tickets down

Radio. Sing or talk to the guy in the next car.
Sing: If you remember the words
Talk: potential distraction. I wonder how talking to a passenger compares to talking to someone on a cellphone using handsfree compares. If talking to a passenger is safer, why?

Leather. Costs more than a nice couch, which lasts a lot longer than your car.
But may cost less than replacement vehicle upholstery. I usually don't drive my couch.

·
Registered
992 Posts
"Well, $4000 for auto-park seems silly. But what about:

Air conditioning. Just open the windows. Sweat won't hurt you."

At 119*F in the middle of nowhere last year.. it could hurt me.. it could even kill me.. what if I ran out of water to keep myself hydrated?!

"Electric windows. What's so hard about turning the crank?"

It actually distracts me to have to "turn the crank." Or worse, my window isn't enough then I even have to REACH OVER and turn the window down--causing even more of a distraction and having me swerve all over the road.

"Power steering. It's just a little more force for a small car."

I really have no rebuttal to this.. I don't really know what the difference would be with or without it.

"GPS. I can buy a map for $5.95."

A map can't get you telephone numbers. Maps also do not tell you how close you are to the street you need to turn on, these GPS'... they know.. everything.. one day it will reply with "your socks don't match.":shock:

"Cell phone. Payphones work just fine."

1) If I used a payphone everytime I needed to make a call, it would cost more than my cell phone (most phones here in California are now $0.50 per payphone call). 2) Who knows when the payphone was last cleaned. 3) If there's a line at the payphone, you could be there awhile. 4) There's no bluetooth. 5) Payphones are disappearing left and right.. I'm not even sure if I could find one if I needed one.. 6) When you're in a BAD neighborhood and you're lost, do you really want to drive further into lost-ness to find a better neighborhood and a payphone.. or just stay in your car, lock the doors, and phone a friend?

"Cruise control. For lazy people."

Like Dan said, keeps people from speeding. Also gives you higher MPG because the car controls the amount of gas that is being used instead of your foot (except in hills.. I've learned this to be slightly worse). And after people drive say, a 700 mile straight trek in a day, you see if your leg gets tired!

"Radio. Sing or talk to the guy in the next car."

What if you were driving alone? And what if you have laryngitis.. then you can't sing. I think radios keep people stuck in traffic, sane. Without them.. there would be a lot more irate folks..

"Leather. Costs more than a nice couch, which lasts a lot longer than your car."

Hey, if you want to eat the cow, you might as well make use of its skin... not like there's a "shortage of leather." I personally don't..

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
"GPS. I can buy a map for $5.95."

Oh, and that's assuming you can figure out where on the map you are, and where on the map you want to go.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts