Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided for the CRAZE to wane down a bit, with the like of several new hybrids coming in from ford to lexus I believe the Prius will be available on lots with no wait and near invoice speculation at 1.5-3yrs. Looking at current trends Mini reminds me of whats going on now. My point is if you get the car at or near invoice your monthly payment will be roughly 40 dollars cheaper a month.

I am commenting on my current situation and maybe in about 2 years I can buy one and I am hoping to see them go for less than MSRP maybe even with special financing. To further extend why I think this way look back at the insight and civic hybrid before the new prius they were throwing them at people now with HIGH demand automakers shall create more which in turn will have more in stock available and drive prices down once the surge suppresses.
My decision is to wait it out alil while until the surge goes away and some are on lots.

By the way I would buy a prius over any car on the market! Oh and congradulations to new prius owners I am jealous just alil.

-Anthony

·
Registered
14 Posts
I applaud you ability to wait that long to get the one of the best cars available today. I have owned many vehicles in the last 25+ years of driving and none of them have ever come close to the bang for the buck. This car is designed extremely well and I've enjoyed driving it each time I get behind the wheel. I would be unable to wait 2 years to avoid paying MSRP. I am a certified car nut and am very familiar with all the products out there. The Toyota Prius is by far the best with respect to efficiency, design and price (with respect to the technology). I hope your wait pays off. Good luck.

04 Salsa Red Pkg #9
EV mode enabled

·
Registered
261 Posts
anthonynd4prius said:
My point is if you get the car at or near invoice your monthly payment will be roughly 40 dollars cheaper a month.

I am commenting on my current situation and maybe in about 2 years I can buy one (snip)
-Anthony
I believe your prediction will turn out to have been correct. Start making that car payment right now (into a separate bank account you never touch), and, with luck, you might end up with no car payment at all, or at least a smaller one because you'll borrow much less...

I've tried to always do that over the years, so now when I buy a car (formerly a used car, now either new or a year or two old) I have the money to pay cash for it...but then I keep on making that "car payment" to myself so that a few years later I can buy another with cash (and the trade-in). Why pay interest if you can avoid it, especially now that it's no longer tax-deductible (unless you use a home equity line)?

rpm

·
Registered
110 Posts
practical purchase

you are right and very practical. however im not practical and do some crazy things but i sure am enjoying driveing smiley in the here and now. im just so darn impetuous!
fred

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the encouragement. I just got a call today and it looks like people are dropping off the list quickly, 3 people cancelled after a test drive and 3 people were no longer interested and 1 person wouldnt pay msrp. I am now 7th in line and my wait went from 9 months to 5 months. I still am 99% sure I want to wait to get a better deal when they "want" to make deals now WE are HUNGRY for the car it should be the other way around in order to get the best possible value out of the purchase.... another 2 pennies
Thanks -Anthony

·
Registered
12 Posts
You are right. The craze and wait list will abate a bit by next year and there will be deals offered on the Prius just like there were on the Classic by 2002-3. However, the price will also keep increasing. Thus, if the price goes up by 2-3k in two years, the rebates will be pretty much negated. I thought like you and planned to wait and perhaps buy a couple of years old Prius in a cuple of years but, it seemed that a 2 year old Prius would go for around 16-18k ( maybe more if the price of new shoots up) and 2-3k in savings seemed small compared to having the fun of a new car and having it sooner.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I think you are half right: In 2 or 3 years there will be Prius on the dealers' lots and you won't have to wait, and you'll be able to pick out the options package and color you want. But I don't think your off-the-lot price will be any less than today. I think Toyota is under-pricing the Prius to create recognition and market share and get the cars out on the road. In a few years the MSRP will be higher and you'll deal down to today's price. (And there are dealers selling at MSRP today.)

On the other hand, as someone suggested above, you are WAY ahead of the game if you start making "car payments" into a bank account today, gathering interest, even if it's not much, and then you pay cash for the car in a couple of years and you pay no interest. That's the same as a big discount. Or rather, the interest most folks pay is like a HUGE premium over MSRP.

I don't borrow. I never have. Living within your means may be un-American, but it's a lot less stressful.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
BIF said:
Daniel said:
...Living within your means may be un-American...
Don't know who told you that, but they were misguided.
It's a humorous on-purpose mis-quote of our illustrious president. (Who implied that to stay home and not spend money after 9/11 was 'helping the terrorists'.)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Lots of good advice here. I would only add that, if you are not planning on paying cash, you might want to factor higher interest rates into your wait/don't wait decision.
Drive happy,
Moo :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Prius Payments

I bought mine and put it on my Home Equity Line of Credit 4% loan. I'll have it paid off within a year of the purchase date and will write off the interest.

AND after test driving a Prius there is no way I could wait a few years to own one.

I have friends trying to compare the Prius to the Corolla and or the Camry as far as cost. It just can't be done. It's apples and oranges. 32 years of driving different cars...this car, (2004 Prius) is by far the best.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Re: Prius Payments

KURT said:
... after test driving a Prius there is no way I could wait a few years to own one...
Same thing happened to me. My head told me, Never buy a car in its first year (the '04 being a major model revision). My heart said, I can't wait a year for this car. Seven months later I'm still saying I made the right decision.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone lots of interesting information. I have setup a prius fund currently with 7,000 and hope to build it to 24,000 within 1 year. I am more of a worrier and like to take precautions to insure I can pay for something if something bad happens. I dont throw caution to the wind I dont like chancing things. I know the Prius will be a dream and I will look forward to owning one. Also if you goto jlist.com you can buy a toy version of a new prius or last gen for like 5$. So that will be my prius for now. :)

·
Registered
623 Posts
I got my toy Prius (3 inches long) from Singapore on eBay. $2 for the car, $5 for shipping. It's the same color as my real Prius.

·
Registered
220 Posts
ehurtley said:
BIF said:
Daniel said:
...Living within your means may be un-American...
Don't know who told you that, but they were misguided.
It's a humorous on-purpose mis-quote of our illustrious president. (Who implied that to stay home and not spend money after 9/11 was 'helping the terrorists'.)
But, but, but.... Isn't calling your President 'misguided' un-American? I'm confused! You guys live in a minefield down there!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts