Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Orange County, CA, it seems that every enormous gas-swilling SUV has at least one "Support the Troops" magnet on the back of it. Usually there's more than one - I've seen upwards of eight plastered across the back, sides, and doors.

Let me tell you, nothing screams "Patriot" like a $1.99 trinket from the local 7-11. While I'm certainly "pro-troops" (actually, I'm more "anti-death"), I'm not sure I'd want to take the MPG hit that would come from the added weight of all the heavy magnets.

So I thought I'd devise my own statement to show just how much I support our boys and what could actually be done to make a difference. Do you think this simple bumper sticker would open any eyes? Really, if everyone got better gas mileage we would reduce our dependence on foreign oil. As a result, we might reduce our need to fight these wars.

DGStan

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey, you have a point in your statement that just can´t be ignored. I mean, face it, this war thing in middle east, it has nothing to do with "freeing the iraqi people" or any other lies that we are getting fed with everyday. It´s all about controlling the oil. In sweden we have a very fast increasing amount of cars that uses ethanol as fuel. The cost per mile will be about the same, but ethanol can be produced in any country. What do you think will happen to the middle-east countries when we don´t need their oil anymore?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Do you think this simple bumper sticker would open any eyes?
I get what your trying to say.......but really......a bumper sticker opening eyes?....Puh-leeeeeeez!

There is always some-one "holy-er" than the next.
I work with a guy that doesn't even own a car, he exclusively rides a bicycle......and sometimes comments...
"If you really want to save gas......get out of that gas-guzzeling Prius and ride your bike!"
You have a nice thought there but do you really think those SUV people (giving you stink-eye in your rear-view mirror) are going to read your bumper-sticker and suddenly have a moment of clarity?
I think not! :cry:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bshef said:
Do you think this simple bumper sticker would open any eyes?
You have a nice thought there but do you really think those SUV people (giving you stink-eye in your rear-view mirror) are going to read your bumper-sticker and suddenly have a moment of clarity?
I think not! :cry:
All I can say is that I went from a person who was completely apolitical in the '90s to someone who now follows politics pretty closely. If it can happen to me, it could happen to anyone.

Along the same lines, rising gas prices forced me to reconsider the 17 MPG (on premium) I was getting on my old vehicle and look at the Prius. While I haven't completely turned into a "greenie", I did trade in my gas lawnmower for a rechargable electric.

People can change...

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
You want to slap someone and you blame SUV drivers, you are throwing the blame on 75% of the American present market. And for those of you in the rest of the world who have never heard of "911" take another look at the immigrant population you are allowing in to do the menial work that your citizens don't care to do and if they are the muslim poor as they are in France, Germany, and England you are going to have one big problem and it's not going to be for the lack of, or cost of oil.
Bumper stickers!!! "GEEZE"

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hyperion said:
You want to slap someone and you blame SUV drivers, you are throwing the blame on 75% of the American present market. And for those of you in the rest of the world who have never heard of "911" take another look at the immigrant population you are allowing in to do the menial work that your citizens don't care to do and if they are the muslim poor as they are in France, Germany, and England you are going to have one big problem and it's not going to be for the lack of, or cost of oil.
Bumper stickers!!! "GEEZE"
My point was that in my neighborhood, large SUV drivers tend to have several "Support the Troops" magnets on their vehicles. I find it ironic that these people want to display their "patriotism" and "support" on the very vehicle that is, in no small part, causing the problem.

(For those of you having a hard time following what I'm talking about: In this case the problem I'm refering to is the Iraq War. Part of the cause of the problem is America's unrelenting thirst for oil.)

Rather than gnash my teeth and risk turning into a bitter old man, I came up with an idea to display my take on the situation.

Geeze is right!

DGStan

·
Registered
67 Posts
To those of you who think that all swedes are kind of retarded, think again! We actually do know that the "911" you are referring to is not the number to dial in an emergency :wink: We even have television in sweden! And to you who think that american troops in foreign countries has nothing to to a with an urge to control natural resources, why don´t president Bush send troops to all african countries that is in war with each others? Simple, the have nothing that Bush wants! By the way, we don´t have a underclass in sweden who does all the dirty work almost for free!

DGStan for presidents! I guess I won´t apply for a green card this year either....

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
DGstan, did it ever occur to you that those SUV drivers might be the parents of kids in the military. "GEEZE"
And sprett I'm glad to hear you folks don't have a minority or terrorist problem. Obviously you get fed a lot of anti american propaganda but this is still one of the few countries in the world where a high school student can get himself a part-time job that will pay him enough to purchase a Prius.

·
Registered
232 Posts
dgstan......I like your sticker!
I think we can all agree that the current global climate is "Partly to Mostly Cloudy"........It took a long time to evolve to this point and it's going to take a long time to clear up (at which point we'll have a whole new set of problems)!

I don't know if this current situation is the "worst" the world has ever seen......but it's the one we get to straighten-out.

Hopefully, all us humans and our planet will get to co-exist for many more lifetimes to come...... :wink:

I'm going to go take my dog for a walk now.....peace-out!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Well I found the bumper sticker interesting, but it is a bit too subtle to fill my personal desire for something that adequately makes the distinction between supporting the troops as human beings and not supporting the war.

Hyperion, did you get up on the wrong side of bed this morning?

·
Registered
344 Posts
a high school student can get a job that pays enough to buy a prius? where?

well even if that's true, that's fine and good. but when I was a high school student i was working 50 hours a week to pay for medical bills. and still never had enough money or time.

yeah. what a great country where even high school students can work. funny, because i know a ton of people with college degrees that can't even find a job.

find me a job that's PART TIME and pays my car payment and insurance and all those other expenses. i'd be interested to know what it is.

·
Registered
919 Posts
The sticker is creative and you make an interesting point. There are lots of reasons for the Iraqi war however, oil being only one. Don't get me started on the rest. As to higher gas prices, I have no doubt the increase IS largely do to the daily cost of our intervention in Iraq. I've heard about refinery problems, etc. but it's hogwash. I ache for those young soldiers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hyperion, what makes you think that I´m fed with anti american propaganda? I would say that it´s no diffrence if I watch swedish news or CNN. Wow, there´s something new about swedes, we actually have foreign tv channels!! If you believe in Bush, that´s fine. You gave him another 4 years, but I don´t think that´s the way to stop terrorism.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I saw a sticker that, at first glance, looked like the typical "Support The Troops" sticker. But it actually said, "Bring The Troops Home". Now that's supporting the troops and keeping them alive to boot.

As for fuel efficiency, it will not only support the troops, but support U.S. citizens, world citizens, animal life, plant life, and the planet as a whole. Wake up, America. Global warming is going to eat us alive.

The guy on the bike is right. Better to drive a Prius than an SUV, but better to ride a bike, walk, or take public transit that drive a Prius.

As for the proliferation of troops, battleships, etc. all over the world. It's mostly about oil. We will find ourselves and our troops suffering if we continue to be dependent upon the world's oil. Why do you think China is increasing the size of its fleet? How long does one think that we will be the undisputed ruler of the oil lanes? And how successful would we be in a war against China once its gets fully up to speed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree to a point that I personally feel that this war was based on Iraqs vast oil reserves. The US seen this oil crisis coming for years in my view and instead of promoting conservation with in our nation, They instead continue to go for the money. I have been in the military and to Iraq and europe and the pacific. I think that europeans are in the same boat as us but when I was in Germany, France, and Spain. Hmmm I did not see any huge gas guzzling SUVs. I did see alot of diesel powered cars that put our MPG to shame. Don't get me wrong I had an SUV too but when the gas started spiking I weighed my options and got rid of it. Saving me 1500 dollars a year. When we start paying the prices of gas they pay in Europe it will be to late to do anything about. Finally, I feel bad that we are in Iraq I think we should be in Iran right now. We've found no WMD or huge terror operations which would cause a threat to us. However, Iran is known to support terrorism and they are making nukes.

·
Registered
232 Posts
omg....people.....really......
Can we get to something really important?

Brad Pitt is in the hospital with flu-like symptoms.... :shock:

I can't believe this is like the most-popular news item on Yahoo right now!

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Last I heard, diesel comes from oil. The reason diesel us used predominately in Europe is because of the high cost of fuel. It has always been at a comparable price as gas in the US and what would you rather see running around the streets of L.A.? One million diesels or gas fueled cars. Even with the advent of the turbo they have always been noisey and stink-pots. The Mercedes diesels were an abomination and the last thing I would like to be parked next too. They are just cheap transportation, a little like the hybrid but a lot less expensive.
Goerge Bush? what can I say other than he was elected by the majority of the people by about one per-cent but that does it. My party always seems to put up political dolts as candidates and even I find it hard to vote for them..
And as far as the Chinese go, just imagine who will be there protecting the "butts" of the NATO countries regardless of their criticism of US policies?
AND, we will protect all canaries at the same time!

·
Registered
919 Posts
bshef said:
omg....people.....really......
Can we get to something really important?

Brad Pitt is in the hospital with flu-like symptoms.... :shock:

I can't believe this is like the most-popular news item on Yahoo right now!
He DOES own a Prius! :D

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
:shock:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts