Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have seen it at least one year ago. It makes you wonder why it is not on the market yet. Personally, I see many problems/technical difficulties to oversome.
- open side wall: this creates disruption to air flow, therefore, drag. Of course, it should be easy to cover it up.
- flat spotting: Today's wide tires already have bad flat spotting problem if you park your vehicles for many hours. Design like the Tweel will have even worse flat spotting problem, I envision.
- high-speed use: I don't see how this can be used in high-speed. Stability and overcoming irregularity of road surface (sudden impact of a 2" deep pothole, for instance). Pneumatic tires have its huge advantage. That is why we still can't get rid of them.
- longivity: How long does such a tire last? A tire that purely relies on rubber joints doesn't seem to last very long to me.

It is a cool design. I wish it works. The fact that it is not on the market yet tells you that there are technical problems facing the engineers. Keep up the good works, guys. :)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
What!? And give up our right to debate correct tire pressure?!?

:shock:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Any chance the Tweel was introduced on April 1?

PA P

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
No, this is a real item. Last I heard, it wasn't for sale yet, just in development. (I first heard about it in Popular Science a few years ago.)

While it's not great for 'high speed', it's adequate for up to 80 mph, which covers legal freeway speeds.

The big problem, though, is that it's a rough ride. (According to Pop Sci, at least.) Not quite as bad as a solid rubber tire would be, but rougher than even the most highly inflated pneumatic tire.

(I also find it funny that in Michelin's 'about' photo, it shows a 'deformable wheel' that appears to be made out of composites or something, yet in the real photos of it on a car, it appears to have a conventional metal wheel.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.