Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I read the answer to this in an another context, but I must be Search disabled... sorry if the answer is out there.

I want to be able on occasion to leave my dog in the car with the air conditioning running and the car ON and in Park. (It's too hot to just leave the windows open.) Is there any danger to the car in doing this for an hour? (The dog is too big to steal.)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would be hesitant to do it but if you must.... I'd...
1. Make real sure you set the parking brake real good incase the dog hits the shifter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You may have seen my short story recalling an episode when my wife and I stopped on a very hot day to take a nap with the A/C running. I made sure to charge the battery to the fullest extent possible before stopping. I also put the A/C on a relatively high temp, like 77F. When the gas engine started up 45 minutes later, it gently awoke me and we were on our way. The green bars came back in very short order. I don't THINK any harm was done.

I'd bet, even though you KNOW your dpg is the smartest person on four legs, he/she won't know what to do when the gas engine starts up. AND If you have that smart-entry system, you may be putting the car and creature at risk, which was hlreed's point.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Just don't take the dog...even on hot days, A/C running, it can be too hot for a dog.

I know here in Sunny SOUTH FLORIDA, there are days when the heat can't be beat...

My ¢.02 on it...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree that if you have a choice - and you almost always do- leave the dog at home. I have a dog who would give up her most treasured possession to come with me anywhere- but I never take her if she would have to stay in the car by herself. A few months ago I saw a parent let their infant daughter put her hand through a slightly open window to try and pet a dog that they didn't know!!! How people like this end up having kids you really gotta wonder - but that's antoher issue! Anyway, after that I have completely stopped taking my dog with me if she would have to be alone - becuase you know that even if the parent of kid did something stupid (like put their hand in the car) the dog will get blamed. I know that you will not have the windows open if the A/C is on- but I just tell this story to let other know that there are dangers of leaving pets in cars that you could never even imagine.

In case anyone is wondering, the child got scared and screamed- the parents LAUGHED, and the dog was terrified and cringing on the other side of the car. I waited for the owner to return to tell her what had happened.

·
Registered
33 Posts
fmva said:
...I waited for the owner to return to tell her what had happened.
And of course, the owner admited shame and agreed with you that it was a really stupid thing to do and promised never to be so stupid again. Right?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Actually, if you have Smart Key, what happens if you walk off with the car on and the key in your pocket?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Astrowoman said:
Actually, if you have Smart Key, what happens if you walk off with the car on and the key in your pocket?
I just tried it. It beeps three times and continues to run. You cannot lock it, however, including with the regular key-fob.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Jean said:
I want to be able on occasion to leave my dog in the car with the air conditioning running and the car ON and in Park. (It's too hot to just leave the windows open.) Is there any danger to the car in doing this for an hour? (The dog is too big to steal.)
DOG?? HOT CAR EVER??? :shock: :!: :!:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for your replies.

lindavid, it probably was your posting.

fmva, I've seen some of those crazy parents. Not only reaching into car windows to pet dogs, but letting their kids run up to a strange dog and grab it around the neck to give a hug and kiss.

Sanny and others, whose concern for my dog is truly appreciated: If I would ever have to do this because of certain unpredictable health urgencies right now with a family member, I would... I'm not sure. I will do everything possible to never do it. I am aware that if the AC went off for some reason, my dog could die in a matter of minutes from the heat accumulation. I will have to figure out some advance plan.

·
Registered
28 Posts
TJandGENESIS said:
Just don't take the dog...even on hot days, A/C running, it can be too hot for a dog.

I know here in Sunny SOUTH FLORIDA, there are days when the heat can't be beat...

My ¢.02 on it...
I saw your pics.. That is the best tinted prius I have ever saw. Where did you get yours tinted and what kind ?? Please advise!!

I'm thinking about getting me one soon.

·
Registered
393 Posts
JAGprius said:
TJandGENESIS said:

My ¢.02 on it...
I saw your pics.. That is the best tinted prius I have ever saw. Where did you get yours tinted and what kind ?? Please advise!!

I'm thinking about getting me one soon.
Thanks for the props...

Well, if you live near South Florida, the guy is named Greg Stone...his number is 954-941-5300. His shop is called the Tint Store, I think (funny, but I just know where it is; on the corner of DIXIE HIGHWAY and SAMPLE ROAD)
This tint is DIAMOND tint. Great warranty.
He has done four cars for me, and many friends. He does a great job, and is willing to fix it, if he messes it up. Which, he has not for me. At all.

Tell him TJ sent you. He might give you a deal!

·
Registered
33 Posts
KTPhil said:
Look again, they all have keyholes in the front door handles.
Lo and behold! There IS a physical key. And the good news or bad news, depending on your perspective, is that you can leave the fob in the car, lock it with the physical key, and leave the car running.

Be prepared, as I wasn't, for the car to honk at you as you lock it. It is saying "NO!"

I didn't try taking the fob with me as I walked away, but I figure if someone breaks in, you might as well give them the fob for all their trouble.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Jean said:
I believe I read the answer to this in an another context, but I must be Search disabled... sorry if the answer is out there.

Remove the key from the fob, insert the fob in the slot in the dash. put the car in Park (I set the brake too). Leave the car & lock the door with the key. Locking the door with the key disables "smart key", the other fob won't open the doors, only the key.
You might also consider a note in the windshield, letting 'do-gooders' know the AC is on and the car is smarter than they are :)

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
just to note, one of the first reported accidents with a Prius was an early Classic. The owner had parked his car, near the bottom of a hill. Someone near the top of the hill had parked his pickup truck, stepped outside to talk to some friends, and left his dog inside the truck. The dog knocked the truck into gear, the truck (with the dog in it) rolled down the hill, hitting the Prius at the bottom...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts