Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I are in the search for a Prius. My question is about leather vs cloth interior. We have looked at several Prius's with the leather package and the armrests are still cloth. Does anyone know why this is? Also, I would appreciate some feedback from owners with cloth interiors as to how fast the console and armrest get "soiled" and as to the frequecy they need to be cleaned. Also do they clean up easily and look as good as new. As a side note, our present and last 3 vehicles have had leather and we like the ease of cleaning, especially the consloe and armrests, but we are open to a cloth interior. Thanks

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I have cloth in my 04 and have never cleaned it. It still looks good. Cloth versus leather is really a personal choice. You're the ones who have to sit on it.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
2004 starting to show its age.

Here is a picture of my 2004's armrest. The car has 56,000 miles, and I have a 13 year old and a 3 year old that do their best to destroy the car. It probably hasn't been vacuumed in six months, hasn't been shampooed in a year. The only major problem is the front of the fabric keeps coming out from its 'wrap around', so I have to keep pushing it back in. This started at about the 40,000 mile mark.

Attachments

·
Registered
736 Posts
I had an '04 with cloth, which I treated with a spray-on soil repellent when I first got the car. I then spot-cleaned occasionaly as needed, and it looked fine when I sold it. I now have an '06 with factory leather, and it has leather-appearing material on the armrests and center console. I think that only the seating surfaces are actually genuine leather, along with the steering wheel. Perhaps the factory has changed the trim for '08 or you are looking at cars which have aftermarket leather installed. When I bought my '06, the aftermarket leather package did not include the steering wheel. I prefer the leather for comfort and ease of cleaning, and hope it will continue to look good in the long term with an occasional cleaning and application of leather conditioner. My six year old Lexus' leather still looks like new with this care, although I would expect that it probably has a better grade of leather than that used in the Prius.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
on, yeah... I forgot to mention that I treated my fabric with a "Scotch Guard" like product on purchase, too. Haven't re-applied, though.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Doug L said:
The wife and I are in the search for a Prius. My question is about leather vs cloth interior. We have looked at several Prius's with the leather package and the armrests are still cloth. Does anyone know why this is? Also, I would appreciate some feedback from owners with cloth interiors as to how fast the console and armrest get "soiled" and as to the frequecy they need to be cleaned. Also do they clean up easily and look as good as new. As a side note, our present and last 3 vehicles have had leather and we like the ease of cleaning, especially the consloe and armrests, but we are open to a cloth interior. Thanks
Because it's not factory leather. it's "port-installed leather" which means the dealer went to an aftermarket place to have leather installed.

The cloth armrests and centre console are very very thin. Mine is showing the same marks ehurtley's pictures show but on the driver's armrest. My centre console looks ok.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the input. We purchased a Magnetic Gray Metallic Prius Packge#3 with cloth. The whole reason we looked for the leather was mainly for the armrests and console(cleanliness). The seat fabric is fine. It was evident that ALOT of the dealers here in Dallas, Tx are doing the "port-installed" leather and trying to pull it off as factory installed. Only one dealer here admitted it was aftermarket.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Cloth

Congrats on the purchase of the new Prius with cloth interior. I do have cloth and I am happy with it. If down the road it starts to wear out, it may be a good excuse to get sheepskin covers. :lol:

·
Registered
591 Posts
If you really want leather you can get it installed. You can also get them to do the armrests and console. I recommend not having the Toyota dealer sell you this as he doesn't do it anyway, and just takes a cut. Go the place(s) that actually install the leather. Should cost less than $2000 (usually just under $1000). Options are:
1. Above mentioned console and armrests.
2. "Perforated" leather (tiny holes on centre panels of seat) so it breaths better - downside to this is it can be torn easier.
3. Most leather packages use real leather on the centre bottom and back panels only - you can special order the leather seats with other panels in true leather. This usually adds about $1000 to the price.
4. Leather covered steering wheel - they'd probably order one from Toyota, though there are kits you can buy, even padded ones.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I must say that having leather in a Prius defeats the purpose. This car is all about increased fuel mileage, economy and a suppot in helping the environment.
Each year, cows release an almost immeasurable amount of methane gas into the atmosphere. This, along with the actions of the Bush administration and the rest of the Neo-Cons is quickly destroying our ecosystem.
You should also realize that by adding leather to your Prius, that you increase the weight of the car and effectively lower the potential mpg it can achieve. I took the opportunity to calculate the weight of the leather option which came out to roughly 96lbs. I added an additional 96lbs to the weight of my car using common house hold items like my signed copy of The Inconvienent Truth, a bowling ball, some left over John Kerry signs, a broken solar panel and the racks from my pottery kiln and low and behold, I saw on average a 1 mpg DECREASE in my fuel economy when tested over 4 tanks of fuel.

Please be smart and get the cloth interior and save some animals in the process.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Josh said:
I must say that having leather in a Prius defeats the purpose. This car is all about increased fuel mileage, economy and a suppot in helping the environment.
Each year, cows release an almost immeasurable amount of methane gas into the atmosphere. This, along with the actions of the Bush administration and the rest of the Neo-Cons is quickly destroying our ecosystem.
You should also realize that by adding leather to your Prius, that you increase the weight of the car and effectively lower the potential mpg it can achieve. I took the opportunity to calculate the weight of the leather option which came out to roughly 96lbs. I added an additional 96lbs to the weight of my car using common house hold items like my signed copy of The Inconvienent Truth, a bowling ball, some left over John Kerry signs, a broken solar panel and the racks from my pottery kiln and low and behold, I saw on average a 1 mpg DECREASE in my fuel economy when tested over 4 tanks of fuel.

Please be smart and get the cloth interior and save some animals in the process.
Preach on brother, preach on. You speak the truth. Power for the masses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Josh said:

You know, I think your on to something. Who else is going to commit to cloth on future prius purchases? I know I am.

Leather is nice but its as necessary as speed....useless!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
thats a good point Josh. Are there any other items that come standard in the prius that should warrant our attention into animal rights?

I for one can't imagine time attacking a car that promoted animal cruelty and death.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm tired of auto manufacturers referring to HORSE power. This is offensive to me as an animal lover. There was a day when horses were SLAVES to men. It's better today, but not like it should be. They should run free. Too many are still kept locked up and "broken in" to be ridden by scum. Now they are just play things for men & women. The days of the wild Mustang are gone. It breaks my heart.

The term Horse power just further bolsters in the public's mind that Horses are just agents of work... or SLAVES.

They might as well start saying, "This car has 290 Indonesian Child Slave Laborers' power." See my point? Isn't that disgusting?

They need to rename the measure of power to something we all understand and associate with power like, "Dynamism" or "Muscle Power".
The Europeans use Newton-meter, but I'm not a fan of this either because Newton was a well known horse breeder and rider. :(

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Zorro, we don't need jerks like you on this site! There is no need to edit someone's post. You ain't funny...

Admin Note: Zorro has been banned from this site

·
Registered
8 Posts
firepa63 said:
Zorro, we don't need jerks like you on this site! There is no need to edit someone's post. You ain't funny...
Agreed.

I think leather is totally snobby, and this is coming from someone who has only owned cars with leather. You don't "NEED" it, just like all of us didn't need our nice cars. You should downgrade to the bare minimum, and give yourself a CD player as a little treat. Luckily, it's standard on the Prius.

·
Registered
5 Posts
firepa63 said:
I wash it was funny, but we have a planet to save. And that's not funny. Do you know how many baby seals were forced to migrate south during the time it took you to write your asinine remark? Thought so ...

·
Registered
736 Posts
Josh said:

I can't imagine the leather to cover the seating surfaces and steering wheel in my car weighs 96lbs more than the cloth to cover the same areas. But even if it does, I find it interesting that the average mpg after nearly 18,000 miles on my '06 with leather is the same as that of my cloth equipped '04 over 70,000 miles. In addition to the factory leather, my '06 has several options that the '04 did not have, including extra speakers, a six disc changer, navigation system, etc. The '06 is fully loaded, the '04 was pretty basic. Also, I have probably gained about 10lbs over the last couple of years, most likely due in part to the beef I have consumed! I suspect that the '06 outweighs the '04, but both cars averaged 54.4 mpg, with the same kind of driving and conditions spread over four years, rather than four tanks. Depending on where you live, lower temperatures could easily account for a 1 mpg drop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all-

New 2008 Prius Touring Package #6 owner here, just picked it up a couple of days ago. As for the comment on how leather seats are 96lbs... not even remotly close. Additionally, in your 'factoring' of the difference in weight of cloth .vs leather, did you take out the weight of the cloth seats?

Not at all trying to start any issues here, but I had to chime in on this one. Also, I don't know if it's something different in the 08's, but the center console is not cloth any longer, I don't think it's leather, but more than likely vinal, along with the door armrests.

Anyhoo... So far I love the car. My only complaint with this is that the steering wheel lights could be a little brighter at night. At first I didn't think they were working untill it got really dark outside. Other than this, I think it's a blast to drive.

Actually traded in my Hummer H2 for this. Instantly went from using 4 gallons of gas a day to less than 1. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts