Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides being more expensive, is leather harder to take care of than cloth? Has anyone purchased a Prius with cloth, only to have it replaced with leather by a 3rd party upholstery, because they didn't like the quality of the leather option?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I have had both over the years and have 3 kids. I would say that leather is, without a doubt, much easier to care for than cloth. Things are much easier to clean up off of it and it's appearance doesn't "age" as badly as cloth. I have after market leather in the Prius because that is all that was available for the 04. I don't have any direct experience with the cloth in the Prius but I heard it wasn't on the exceptional side.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
I have found that one of the reasons for being uncomfortable in the Prius seats is the beautifull cloth interior which sort of "Glues" you in the seat and you can't "squich" around to find a comfortable position. I've thought of having the leather done to my car but have just realized it is now two years old and will probably be going sometime this year.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hyperion said:
I have found that one of the reasons for being uncomfortable in the Prius seats is the beautifull cloth interior which sort of "Glues" you in the seat and you can't "squich" around to find a comfortable position. I've thought of having the leather done to my car but have just realized it is now two years old and will probably be going sometime this year.
What will be "going" sometime this year?

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
The car aa7ae, the car. Three years is enough for the experiment. I bought mine when gas was cheap and I was more interested in seeing what hybrid power was all about. To purchase one at a reasonable price I picked the Prius. For two reasons. First it was the highest tech made and second because all the info I read three years ago indicated that Toyota was subsidizing the cost from 3 to 4 thousand dollars. I still believe this. Toyota made a mid-size economy car that was built to fall in the 20 to 25 thousand dollar niche. That's what the car is worth. Now the price of gas has skyrocketed and with it "media" attention plus the controlled shortage of the cars, making it much more desirable to a certain group of the public who have to have one strictly because they are scarce and will pay as much as three to five thousand dollars above MSRP to get one. It is still the type of car I would previously have only thought of as an inexpensive car to rent for transportation on a couple week vacation or couple day business trip.
Nothing I would ever care to own for full-time transportation. (unless I had a daily 50 mile commute and had to watch a budget)
My two years of driving one have made me think that they are too complex for the national car market (even the Honda Civic, which is about 50% less complex than the Prius) and that a standard size car or SUV hybrid (Lexas on two counts, Highlander, Accord, and Escape) are either two darn expensive or like the Ford Escape there is again a six month wait.
Obviously, this is not the way the world car manufacturers are going to go. Toyota will be introducing the Camry H sometime this year but still the new Toyota models coming off assembly lines this year as new 07 models are small SUV's. Toyota knows more than we do about the market. I don't believe Toyota would be cranking up an assembly line for a brand new small SUV model if they were making any money on their most popular hybrid and my guess because of the new "Cruiser" line, the Camry will be very expensive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If they gave leather for free I'd take the cloth. I have the gray cloth and it is very easy to take care of. It is not hot in the summer or cold in the winter like leather. It's much more inviting to sit on the cloth and mine looks brand new after over two years. if you don't take care of leather it will look like some old fart who doesn't use suntan lotion in Florida.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree with the majority so far. I don't like the feel of leather, probably because of the humid Florida weather. I don't have a leather couch either, only a jacket.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts