Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Pkg #7 Prius that I purchased in February.. I recently took it in for its 30k maintenance (yes, I drive about 100 miles a day) and my service advisor told me there was a small transmission leak coming from the driver's side axle. Transmission leak?! The car is only 10 months old--granted it has gone 30,000 miles. Is this normal? I'm a day commuter in LA and my car has been in for every 5k service and switched to synthetic oil at 10k miles. I questioned the service advisor at Longo Toyota about this and he stated that he had done a few seal repairs on some Prii and brushed it off like it was something he had seen a few times. He didn't understand why I was worried because it is covered under the Powertrain warranty (good for 60k miles, 100k miles since I have the extended warranty). Should I be worried, or is this just something small and simple and.. it happens? I'm already in the shop every 6 weeks doing an oil change.. I'd rather not be there for major repairs in the near future. Please advise. :)

Note--I'm taking it back this Saturday since I couldn't stay and have it done last weekend, would only take 2-3 hours and he said it just needed a new seal or something.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, I'm dumb, here

I thought that the Prius didn't actually have a "transmission" as we know it. Does anyone else know about this problem, and its prevalence?

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's the Transaxle Assy. Type T Oil Seal. It's no big deal. Just make sure the alignment is checked because the front suspension assembly is dismantled to pull the shaft.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Seals can be faulty when made or can be damaged at install. Not a big concern, if caught before loss of fluid causes damage. This is why you have a standard 3yr warranty.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Earl said:
It's the Transaxle Assy. Type T Oil Seal. It's no big deal. Just make sure the alignment is checked because the front suspension assembly is dismantled to pull the shaft.
That does not sound like fun (dismantling the front suspension).. but I will make sure they check the alignment. Thanks everyone!!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DanMan32 said:
Didn't you post this elsewhere?
Yeah I posted it on PriusChat like you suggested while PriusOnline was down :p I don't multi-post in multiple subtopics.. because I know people are like me and read ALL the sections.. ! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.