Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have a laptop mounted in their car. I just bought a new Sony Vaio VGN-T350P it is one of the really small ones with a built in edge modem. I use it alot for work and need something more secure to mount it then just on the passenger seat. Anybody have a similar setup in their car.

Tony

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'm not sure where you are, but check local laws, some states/cities prohibit laptop use in the front seat. And a dedicated mount would make for a ticket that would be hard for you to worm your way out of.

That said, I just use the passenger seat. I have a small toolkit that I put on the 'back' part of the seat, then my small laptop bag on top of that, open. The laptop then sits with its front edge coming over the 'front' end of the laptop bag, which lets the screen open a good distance, and helps keep it in place well. (I'll get a picture of my setup on Monday and post it in this thread.) It stays put through even the hardest cornering.

·
Registered
93 Posts
TonyMS said:
Anybody have a laptop mounted in their car. I just bought a new Sony Vaio VGN-T350P it is one of the really small ones with a built in edge modem. I use it alot for work and need something more secure to mount it then just on the passenger seat. Anybody have a similar setup in their car.
I have a 12" PowerBook I use in my car and have been looking for a mount for a while. I don't want to drill holes to screw anything down; I'm looking for one that will use the passenger seat screws.

This is what I've found so far:
http://www.ram-mount.com/nodrillsystems/rampodiii.htm

BTW, I have Route 66 http://www.66.com and a US Global Sat BU-303 USB GPS Receiver.

Bob

·
Registered
80 Posts
Here is a setup I used in my last vehicle which was a Nissan Xterra. The first two pictures show is sitting on the Prius floor but not mounted. The mounting holes don't line up with the seat bolts. However, with a little metal fab of two brackets it looks like it will fit fine. Where the pole attatches to the base, I will be moving that 90° right. The arms and pole hieght a adjustable and the laptop can be rotatated to sit over the seat. The pole can be removed in a minute without tools for a passanger. This use to fit with a passanger in my SUV. It can be adjusted to sit in between the driver and passanger but it would be crowded in the Prius. The mount system for the laptop is a poor design but works. It uses two cables that are attatched to springs and adjustable levers. The base is made by Gamber Johnsonhttp://www.gamberjohnson.com/index.cfm?p_id=1
and the pole and mounting system are by Jotto Desk http://www.jottodesk.net/

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I don't know about laptops and the letter of the law, but a TV screen in view of the driver is illegal in most states.

·
Registered
80 Posts
KTPhil said:
I don't know about laptops and the letter of the law, but a TV screen in view of the driver is illegal in most states.
But a GPS/Map is not. If it is, start pulling your MFD now. And then there are these in dash devices:

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Does your laptop have a DVD drive? That might make it illegal.

Toyota has the "I Agree" button wherein you legally acknowledge not to drive while distracted. A homebrew laptop arrangement may not give as much liabilty protection. Whether you or I think this is fair, you can bet the other driver and his insurance company will question this after an accident...

·
Registered
10 Posts
are those the gt seat covers? they look really nice. i think i'll order those. can you let me know where you got it from. thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
KTPhil said:
Does your laptop have a DVD drive? That might make it illegal.

Toyota has the "I Agree" button wherein you legally acknowledge not to drive while distracted. A homebrew laptop arrangement may not give as much liabilty protection. Whether you or I think this is fair, you can bet the other driver and his insurance company will question this after an accident...
The "I Agree" button only helps Toyota's liabilities not yours. It does not remove your responsibility or expmpt you from any laws. Furthermore, most GPS devices designed for the car do not have "I Agree" screens and are interactive while driving.

The ability to play a DVD is not the same as actually playing a DVD. There are a number of DVD players available to fit in the dash of your car. They are installed with ground wires to the parking break which keeps them from working unless the brake is applied. I drive an ambulance for a private company and we have laptops mounted in a similar way. We are a private company and are not exempt from the laws.

The only correct thing you have said is "a TV screen in view of the driver is illegal in most states". You are however allowed to have GPS, Guages, Music selection/Players etc in a digital display. Xenarc and other LCD manufacturers sell PC versions (touchscreen and VGA) of their displays that work in your dash. If these were not legal, then your MFD would also be illegal. Toyota and other manufacturers did not get some special exemption nor are they exempt because of the "I aggree" screen.

Maybe you should take this argument to the http://www.mp3car.com site which is dedicated to car computers. Tell them it's illegal. Or maybe the many manufactures of products for car computers or GPS including Jotto Desk, Gamber Johnson, Xenarc, Pioneer, Kenwood, Magellan, Garamin, Delorme and others.

·
Registered
80 Posts
saechaka said:
are those the gt seat covers? they look really nice. i think i'll order those. can you let me know where you got it from. thanks
The seat covers are Wet Okole: http://www.wetokole.com/

They are not as grey looking in real life. They match the charcoal color very well.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Argue with me all you want, it won't help if you are defending on the basis of "distracted driving" with that gizmo in the front seat. No jury would acquit!

·
Registered
80 Posts
KTPhil said:
Argue with me all you want, it won't help if you are defending on the basis of "distracted driving" with that gizmo in the front seat. No jury would acquit!
Now you not only play a lawyer online, but a psychic too :roll:

If it applies to the laptop, it applies to your MFD too. But only for you Nav guys.

"distracted driving" = cell phones, changing radio stations, kids screaming, eat, drinking, smoking and just about anything else you do in the car when you don't have both your hands on the wheel. But it must also be proven. We have plenty of ambulances that have been in accidents and have computer up and running. None have been found guilty by a jury or even cited and the screen is in full view of the driver.

I dare you to take this argument to

http://www.mp3cars.com There are lawyers there installing them in their vehicles. There was one guy cited by an officer in Utah for having a light on in his car. Case was dismissed.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Lawyer it all you want, but it is merely common sense that a laptop, keyboard and all, simply can't be used safely while driving. With laws already on the books about cell phones, how much more of a distraction is a screen which requires you to take your eyes off the road as well as hands off the wheel?

The NAV has many voice control options, and does not require you to read the screen,a nd then enter data. In fact it requires you to stop to do so. There is a reason!

Answer honestly folks... when the family of an accident victim shows the photos above to the jury, which side would you bet your money on?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"We have plenty of ambulances that have been in accidents and have computer up and running. None have been found guilty by a jury or even cited and the screen is in full view of the driver. "

Our police also have computers in the car. They use them for legitimate lifesaving purposes, and typically have two officers in the car. Your purpose? Route planning? Hardly a lifesaving measure.

You can bet these people are wise enough to not operate it while driving. Are you? If not, I'll enjoy reading about you in the 2006 Darwin Awards.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Why don't you educate yourself first on PC GPS before you write somthing? Delorme software also uses voice commands and verbal directions. It gives large indicators of travel and directions.

One would be stupid to use the keyboard while driving :roll: As are women who apply makeup. I guess they should not be allowed to have makeup in the front of the car.

Most police cars, chp etc do not have two officers. CHP only use two at night and other departments mostly use one.

·
Registered
80 Posts
KTPhil said:
Lawyer it all you want, but it is merely common sense that a laptop, keyboard and all, simply can't be used safely while driving. With laws already on the books about cell phones, how much more of a distraction is a screen which requires you to take your eyes off the road as well as hands off the wheel?

The NAV has many voice control options, and does not require you to read the screen,a nd then enter data. In fact it requires you to stop to do so. There is a reason!

Answer honestly folks... when the family of an accident victim shows the photos above to the jury, which side would you bet your money on?
The MFD displays CD Text, XM Radio Text, and RDS info for FM stations. While you don't have to look, it is there and a distraction if you do. The touch screen for radio operations, climate, and energy are not disabled while driving and are a distraction if you use them. You don't have to look at the laptop, you can listen for the directions and listen to the MP3's it is playing on the stereo. You can glance at the map which is large and easy to read to see if your still on course, which of course the voice prompts would have already told you if your were off course.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I file this with the "I don't have to pay federal income taxes" group. Many, including lawyers, delude themselves, but the courts will decide, and common sense will no doubt prevail.

I'm sure your insurance company would be, um, "intrigued" by your modifications, and the liability they take on as a result...

·
Registered
80 Posts
My insurance company could care less. I have an excellent driving record and I am a highly trained driving professional. That laptop you saw is not installed in my Prius and never will be. It was installed in my SUV and no police officer ever cited me. When it was being used it was for GPS it was only on long trips and I had a passanger that operated it if needed. But in fact it works just like the MFD only with a bigger screen.

California law allows the use of a screen for GPS, Mapping Display, Rear View camera, and Guage info. Since you have appointed yourself as safty monitor of PriusOnline, why don't you head off to Sacramento and get the laws changed. Then you can be the first to remove your MFD. If your looking at the energy screen, your distracted! In fact, why not be the first and make a stand and trun off your MFD while driving?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts