Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just come back from a four-day-three-night jaunt to Lake Placid for a little relaxing getaway. About two hours drive, plus one hour on the ferry, each way; and while there we covered a pretty broad stretch of the Adirondacks. In spite of changing altitude multiple times between a low of 500ft to highs around 2000ft (and that's not counting us riding the ski lift to the top of the Olympic Ski Lift), we kept our mileage hovering between 49.9 and 50.0. Not bad.

But the reason I'm writing is to point out a somewhat corny but still amusing little program the Lake Placid Chamber of Commerce has. Drive there with a hybrid, and they'll give you a gold medal:

On the back it says "Gold For Green". They also take your picture and claim to post it on their web site, though I can't find anything on their web site at all other than this press release about the program.

The president of the visitor's bureau owns a Prius, which is how the program got started, apparently.

Amusingly, while I was getting out of my Prius after parking downtown to go do some shopping, I saw a pair of Californians walking by looking at the car. The guy said to the gal, "Hey, a Prius. They have them out here too. I thought it was just a California thing." I laughed at him, but out of courtesy, I didn't make it obvious.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Lake Placid. :lol: Makes me smile as my aunt owned a resort there and we visited often growing up. My last visit was 2 years ago, and it has really changed. I looked for a Prius but didn't see a single one. Nice to know it's environmentally conscious. Did you go for a scenic boat ride on the lake?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope; since we had a ferry ride each way anyway, that one never floated to the top of the list.

Saw at least a half dozen other Prii there (by "there" I'm including the whole visit, which ranged as far as Long Lake), and about the same number again on the road to and from.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thank U for the info

I contacted Lake Placid and received mine just in time for my 13th car show with my 2004 PRIUS Tideland Pearl option#6, well decaled.
Sept. 4 2006 Labor Day or Buhl Day here in the Shenanago Valley,
Western Pa. Sharon/Hermitage,Pa. Its starts with a parade then other events but the Car show in the Buhl Park tops it off for me.
The Gold Medal is really nice. I had my picture taken with it around my neck and emailed the picture to my 3 adult children. They think it is a great honor and I look like a disinguised knowledgable person, they are right, I drive a Prius and have the title of Prius Pioneer.

Thanks Again,
Anthony M.Liscio

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.