Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if anyone has put any adhesive moldings on their Prius?
If so,any recomendations?I have orderd the mud flaps.
Would milage loss be significant?

Regards,Ed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
edlambert said:
I wonder if anyone has put any adhesive moldings on their Prius?
If so,any recomendations?I have orderd the mud flaps.
Would milage loss be significant?

Regards,Ed
I put on mudflaps & black door edge moulding on all four doors, lower edge of hatchback lid & lower edge of bonnet. On doors to protect from chipping, and I think it looks nice. I have a silver 04.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
:) I add my recommendation to the ToyotaPartsNow body side mouldings - perfect color match - mine were installed by my dealer's body shop free of charge. Not my Prius, but mine look the same. [Click on image for larger view]
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
I also bought my color matched body side mouldings from toyotapartsnow ($130). My wife and I put them on in 30 minutes. I love them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,285 Posts
I haven't really considered putting them on yet. The flat, vertical doors don't have a "single crunch point" like cars with curved doors (more "tumble home") have. I'm not sure where the right height is-- you KNOW the offending door will miss it, Murphy's Law ruling the day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
669 Posts
On the other hand, a runaway shopping cart might slide along the moulding and damage it rather than the door panel, which I assume would be less spendy to fix.... not that I'm paranoid or anything!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
I bought the ones from metrotpn.com - perfect color match for my Driftwood Pearl.

They were easy to put on - I followed the enclosed directions, plus some tips I found after Googling for body side molding installation. If you have even just basic DIY skills, I recommend you install them yourself. You can do it in less time than it takes to drive somewhere to have someone else do the work.

I'll have to simulate a shopping car strike to see if the molding will prevent damage. I installed mine at the height recommended in the instructions - 13" to 13.5" above the bottom edge of the door.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Mine were applied by the dealer as part of a package including some other protection that I probably didn't need. Just to ensure those purchasing after-market kits get all the protection that's available, the dealer's kit included doors, bumpers AND a small bead that goes around the wheel wells.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I also bought mine from toyotapartsnow/metropn.

The installation was easy. However, in order to make my installation absolutely perfect I used one of those laser-light levels and put my masking right along the line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
For those that have put the moldings on themselves...what his the height where the front and rear doors meet. I have mine ready to install, and see that the directions place one end at 13 inches and the other at 13 1/2. I think installation would be easier if the measurement in between was known...I don't have a straight edge long enough.

Can anyone assist?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
See my post on priuschat.com containing installation tips.

I recommend just getting some wide (2") blue 3m masking tape, and using it to connect the front and rear points, and then line the molding up with the tape. The tape is wide enough that you'll get a nice straight line connecting the two points by just puttling light even tension on the tape before attaching it to the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
priusenvy said:
I'll have to simulate a shopping car strike to see if the molding will prevent damage. I installed mine at the height recommended in the instructions - 13" to 13.5" above the bottom edge of the door.
I tested with the plastic shopping carts they have at the local Safeway. The bottom edge of the cart just about lines up perfectly with the bottom edge of the molding at the end which is 13" above the door bottom. At the other end, which is 13-1/2" above the door bottom, the bottom of the cart hits the middle of the molding, at its widest point. So the recommended height of 13" to 13.5" above the door bottom seems to be a good height for protection against runaway shopping carts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
priusenvy said:
priusenvy said:
I'll have to simulate a shopping car strike to see if the molding will prevent damage. I installed mine at the height recommended in the instructions - 13" to 13.5" above the bottom edge of the door.
I tested with the plastic shopping carts they have at the local Safeway. The bottom edge of the cart just about lines up perfectly with the bottom edge of the molding at the end which is 13" above the door bottom. At the other end, which is 13-1/2" above the door bottom, the bottom of the cart hits the middle of the molding, at its widest point. So the recommended height of 13" to 13.5" above the door bottom seems to be a good height for protection against runaway shopping carts.
Which means that right now, somewhere, someone, is designing a new shopping cart, that... :cry: :wink: :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
An04Prius said:
Which means that right now, somewhere, someone, is designing a new shopping cart, that... :cry: :wink: :cry:
And doesn't that get us back to the thread about whether the manatee's car is already obsolete? ;) If someone already redesigned the shopping cart...

:::ducking:::
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
669 Posts
Sanny said:
An04Prius said:
Which means that right now, somewhere, someone, is designing a new shopping cart, that... :cry: :wink: :cry:
And doesn't that get us back to the thread about whether the manatee's car is already obsolete? ;) If someone already redesigned the shopping cart...

:::ducking:::
I'd howl, but manatees are very quiet animals. Perhaps I'll go run into a shopping cart instead....
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top