Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Coastaletech deserves some well-earned congratulations: I bought and installed their EV kit and have been having a blast since! When EV is engaged and the car reaches 34 mph I now feel like Marty McFly reaching 85 mph in Back to the Future. The only difference is that I keep going on to 35mph with a smile as I look at my average. :D

The installation steps were clearly described and were easy to follow. There are two potential issues worth mentioning when mounting this little piece of circuitry:

• 1. The working space is not easily accessible, so this is not a job for people with large hands. Luckily that's not my case, but if you're considering buying this small gizmo make sure you know someone who can help you install it (Toyota won't).

2. One of the steps consists in inserting a 1/4" long pin into a connector, and that's the task that took the longest time: in order to properly establish the contact you have to push that small element really deep into its socket - even if it looks like you're about to damage the wire. Again, not the easiest thing to do, but the job was sweetend up by the bag of Jelly Belly Beans Coastaletech included in the shipment... :p
I also happened to have a couple questions and Coastaletech replied via email within two hours; considering the size of this company, that to me is top notch customer service, so I highly recommend this kit!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Edo said:
Hi all,

Coastaletech deserves some well-earned congratulations: I bought and installed their EV kit and have been having a blast since! When EV is engaged and the car reaches 34 mph I now feel like Marty McFly reaching 85 mph in Back to the Future. The only difference is that I keep going on to 35mph with a smile as I look at my average. :D

The installation steps were clearly described and were easy to follow. There are two potential issues worth mentioning when mounting this little piece of circuitry:

• 1. The working space is not easily accessible, so this is not a job for people with large hands. Luckily that's not my case, but if you're considering buying this small gizmo make sure you know someone who can help you install it (Toyota won't).

2. One of the steps consists in inserting a 1/4" long pin into a connector, and that's the task that took the longest time: in order to properly establish the contact you have to push that small element really deep into its socket - even if it looks like you're about to damage the wire. Again, not the easiest thing to do, but the job was sweetend up by the bag of Jelly Belly Beans Coastaletech included in the shipment... :p
I also happened to have a couple questions and Coastaletech replied via email within two hours; considering the size of this company, that to me is top notch customer service, so I highly recommend this kit!
"One of the few; one of the far between!" Now where the HELL is the ViewTech 2005 or the NAV defeat that they promised over a year ago?

"Random drug testing I tell ya!"

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BMcGraw said:
"One of the few; one of the far between!" Now where the HELL is the ViewTech 2005 or the NAV defeat that they promised over a year ago?
I had a positive experience with Coastaletech and was very satisfied with the service they provided. I rarely found elsewhere the same courtesy and attention that they showed me.

Maybe I was lucky or maybe it depended on how I presented myself, who knows?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Edo said:
BMcGraw said:
I had a positive experience with Coastaletech and was very satisfied with the service they provided. I rarely found elsewhere the same courtesy and attention that they showed me.

Maybe I was lucky or maybe it depended on how I presented myself, who knows?
I had the same positive results related to the EV Mode Switch. Kelley couldn't be any nicer BUT their relationship with the public in regards to other products and promises of products is the worst I've ever seen anywhere and that has NOTHING to do with how anyone presented themselves.

Many of "us" ordered the previously mentioned items as far back as last February !!!

I actually talked to Coastal Dave on the phone March 25th who informed me that the ViewTech 2005 units were finally on their way from Europe (where they were being assembled) to Florida. They were passing through California "as we spoke". I jokingly said, "Too bad they couldn't drop one off at my house on the way through." He laughed... He then told me it would be shipping in about two weeks.

I of course believed him and purchased a JVC KD-DV5100 GigaMp3 DVD player to attach to the ViewTech. At this rate it will be out of warranty before I find out if it is even compatible.

I proceeded to talk to Kelley (Dave's wife) almost everyday for the next few months to find out WHEN is it shipping REALLY. She told me in early June that it would be two weeks or less. (She has since told me that she was just trying to keep my "hopes up".)

I've been told more than once that I'm the first one on the list. I feel so much better knowing that. :!:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I also sent them an email about ViewTech 2005. No response after one month. I have decided to go ahead and purchase other alternatives. Maybe they do select the customers they want to serve. :(

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm a loooooser.....
I bought the EV mode dealio.....
shoved...pushed.....hammered.....grunted....groaned and evidently didn't get that @#!$#@%^@#$%[email protected]# pin in all the way.....

Took it apart like 3 times then said..... to hell with it.......!
It just sits there doing nothing :cry:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Bshef -

I used the tip of an unbent paperclip to shove the pin all the way home. I was about to give up too, until that did the trick.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Thomme said:
Bshef -

I used the tip of an unbent paperclip to shove the pin all the way home. I was about to give up too, until that did the trick.
Hmm...

By an unbent paper clip? do you mean a paper clip that has been unwound into a straight wire, or a paper clip that hasn't been unwound into a straight wire?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
To know if you pushed it far enough, if you can put a voltmeter on the pin while the plug is plugged in and the car put into ready, you should see voltage on it. 5V I think. It would be best to read it when the other leads of the coastal mod are not yet connected as I don't know if the mod itself puts voltage on that pin.

If you are connecting your own switch to ground out that pin when engaging EV, it should otherwise be an open circuit so you should definitely see voltage coming out of pin 27.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bshef said:
I'm a loooooser.....
No, you're not. It's just not an easy task.

I used needlenose pliers to grab the wire as close as possible to the pin and pushed it into the socket; then I grabbed the wire 1/32" further away fro the pin and kept pushing it further in. After a couple times the pin was sitting deep enough to establish contact.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Sorry to confess my ignorance, but...

Quanah said:
What is the coastaltech product and what does it do?
In brief - this company sells a piece of circuitry that, once installed in your Prius, adds a functionality to the cruise stalk allowing it to turn EV mode on and off.

You can find everything about the EV kit on this page. You can also find more info in this post.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well it's about time all this hangin out on this board paid off!

I used the paper clip idea from Thomme.......seems to help (immensely). What a Pain in the A$$ that mod was....

Started up.....started driving.....pulled the CC stock and heard 3 beeps.....stayed in EV mode (I think) until I "punched" it...then I heard the 3 beeps again and noticed the ICE had kicked in.....

Thanks peeps! :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
craaaaaaaaap!.....
Dan....b kind enough to splain the process.....

Power up.....pull CC Stock towards me....?.....listen for 1 beep....

At least I'm gettin beeps now.! :D

·
Registered
508 Posts
melgish said:
Thomme said:
Bshef -

Hmm...

By an unbent paper clip? do you mean a paper clip that has been unwound into a straight wire, or a paper clip that hasn't been unwound into a straight wire?
Ow! Brain hurt... Let me attempt to rephrase.
A paper clip that has been modified from its factory-pre-bent configuration optimized for paper-retaining properties, conflabulated into a linear arrangement more suited for pin-guidance meneuvers.
(It's funnier if you say it in a Professor Frink voice.)

Bshef - Glad it worked for you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bshef said:
Power up.....pull CC Stock towards me....?.....listen for 1 beep....
At least I'm gettin beeps now.! :D
Getting beeps is a good sign! The sequence of steps you listed above is the correct one; just remember to keep the stalk pulled until you hear one beep.

At that point you'll know EV was successfully engaged if the screen changes to the energy display (unless you're already there, in which case you get no audio or video feedback other than the digits 0.0 mpg flickering once in the lower part of the screen - at least this is what I observed on my display).

You can't engage EV when the car is moving, no matter how slowly: 3 beeps will tell you that EV will not be turned on, as DanMan32 noted. So you might be actually going electric without EV being on.

Your driveway or a traffic light are pretty much the only places to turn it on.

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"You can't engage EV when the car is moving, no matter how slowly"

I have regularly engaged EV mode at any speed under about 20mph.

·
Registered
370 Posts
KTPhil said:
"You can't engage EV when the car is moving, no matter how slowly"

I have regularly engaged EV mode at any speed under about 20mph.
I concur.

I've also heard that you can't "EV" when the AC is on. I have found this to be untrue as well.

DGStan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts