Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't yet have a Prius (getting it on Jan 3rd!) but i was wondering if you HAVE TO insert the little key thing into slot behind the stearing wheel on the right side like in this picture. If not then what's the point of it?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
If you have the smart key/smart start option, you do not need to insert the key fob into the slot. You only have to have it with you (pocket, purse, etc.). The same thing goes for unlocking the door when entering the car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's the point of the slot then?

firepa63 said:
If you have the smart key/smart start option, you do not need to insert the key fob into the slot. You only have to have it with you (pocket, purse, etc.). The same thing goes for unlocking the door when entering the car.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
ajmck said:
What's the point of the slot then?
You can disable the smart start system and then you need the fob in the slot. For example, you may want to disable it if using valet parking. Also, if the battery in the fob dies, you can still start the car by using the slot.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
It's also handy for valet parking and the car wash. You don't have to tell them that they don't need to put the key in the slot. They just put it in automatically and it works fine. I think that makes getting your keys lost less likely in that scenario.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
If you pay close attention, dealers do not generally use Smartkey when Prii are being worked on. They put the key in the slot and leave it there. As soon as the key is in the slot the smart key system is disabled. I doubt that has any significance, but I'm sure that having a secure place to put the key does, especially when more than one tech may be working on a vehicle or the vehicle may be in and out of various bays.

Since the battery in the key can die, if it did unexpectedly the key would be useless and the car couldn’t' start unless it had a way to interface with the key to verify it and allow the car to start. Toyota had to guarantee that there would be a fail safe way to get in the car and get it started if the fob had no battery.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! Makes sense now.. Now I just have to wait another week and a half until I get it. The longest week and a half of my life

·
Registered
24 Posts
Smart Key

WARNING !!!
If you have smart key system and you and your wife are traveling together and both have your keys with you.
When you both get out of car, make sure you both take your remotes with you.

My wife has a habit of leaving her pocket book in car relying on me for keys etc. I lock door with pushbutton on drivers door and walk away.

The doors can still be opened by any one because the wifes key in still inside the car.

I try to make a habit to try the door after I close it. That's how I discovered this. It was driving me crazy until I realized wife's key was still in the car.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Just when you think you have all the Prius stuff figured out:
I picked up my 04 following the CPU upgrade last week. The guy who delivered my car at the curb said (casually), "Your key is in the slot".. Since I have the Smart Key, the "slot" has never been used.
Driving home, I attempted to pull the fob out and put it in my pocket (where it belongs) But nooo.. Damn.. its STUCK.. won't budge. I picture myself going back to the shop, looking like a real dummy, and asking how I get my Smart Key back. Time to get out the manual: I pulled over, stopped and punched the Idle Cutoff button (that's pilot talk.. 8) ) I lightly pulled on the fob and it almost jumped back into my hand.
Lesson for the day: The fob will not come out of the slot while the system is running.. OK..so I'm the only dummy this has ever happened to. ~JD~

·
Registered
298 Posts
OK..so I'm the only dummy this has ever happened to. ~JD~
I don't know if you are or not but I didn't know this either and it's useful information. So, dummy or not, thank you. :D

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
lol

here's another trick. If the fob's in the slot and you're in ACC mode, no need to push the POWER button twice to turn off the car, then take the fob out. Just pull the fob out in ACC mode and it'll automatically turn off the car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Re: Smart Key

larry31 said:
WARNING !!!

My wife has a habit of leaving her pocket book in car
Might want to tell not to do that. I got my CRV broken into once by leaving my purse in the car. In my own driveway!

·
Registered
455 Posts

larry31 said:
WARNING !!!
If you have smart key system and you and your wife are traveling together and both have your keys with you.

My wife has a habit of leaving her pocket book in car relying on me for keys etc. I lock door with pushbutton on drivers door and walk away.

The doors can still be opened by any one because the wifes key in still inside the car.

I try to make a habit to try the door after I close it. That's how I discovered this. It was driving me crazy until I realized wife's key was still in the car.
It also beeps at you to let you know there is a key inside the car. It basically is saying, let's see if I can get the translation down "hey dumb ass, you can't lock me, when a key is inside." Yeah, I think that is close. It is only keeping you from every locking your keys in your car.

Spike

·
Registered
17 Posts

larry31 said:
WARNING !!!

That's not true. It is true that if your wife's key is in the car, then you can't lock it with the black buttons on the outside of the door, or the lock button on the inside. It will give you a long beep if you do that and will immediately unlock the doors.

However, you can lock it with the fob's lock button. And the car knows the difference between a key being inside the car and outside the car.

If you lock a fob inside the car using the lock button of another fob outside the car, then the car will not unlock when you grab the handle. In fact, I believe it won't unlock even if you have the other SKS fob with you outside of the car. You have to press the unlock button on the outside fob or use the mechanical key.

And, from experience I know that all of the vehicle immobilizer alarms still go off even if an SKS fob is locked in the car. For instance, if someone prys back the door and uses a rod to push the inside lock buttons or pull the door latch, then the car will honk loudly and refuse to unlock.

If they do manage to get in the car by breaking a window, then yes, they will be able to start the car.

But, wouldn't that be the case if your wife left regular keys to a regular car in her purse inside the regular car?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts