Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who keep the tires rigorously at 42/40 (or whatever), what do you use to do it? Do you have your own air compressor, and if so, what kind, how much did it cost, where did you get it? Or do you use ones at gas stations, or somewhere else?

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Yes, I have my own compressor. Just a little thing that is meant for tires and balls. Nothing fancy. Mine has an integrated lead acid battery and charges with a 120v adapter to a regular outlet in the garage. I didn't want one which was 12v powered because to run those on the Prius you need to have the vehicle in Ig-on or Ready (Ready would be better since the 12v system woudl be receiving power from the converter). Since the compressor is battery operated I have portability and am not connected to wires, etc. Unfortunatly in one of my rare ocassions where I go into Wal-Mart I saw it on clearance and purchased. The price was just too good. Yes, I feel very unclean to this day. It was not a brand I recognized, but the price was so low that if it died a year later I wouldn't be too worried about it.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
It depends on where I am.

On the road, I'll use the $20 cigarrete-lighter powered compressor I got from Wal-mart (the little one that fits in the small compartment)

At home I'll use my bicycle pump, as that has a guage built in, and connects/disconnects a lot easier.

·
Registered
199 Posts
So it appears that a trip to Walmaart can help us keep our Prii in prime rinning condition???? Can it really be as easy as a bicylce pump!?! I guess maybe Target would have something too right??? I personally hate stopping at the gas station, no longer free but often not well maintained and even with a smaller car like he Prius you have to struggle with that rubber tubing.
Which area does the cigarette lighter one fit in?? Does it take long to fill and does it have its own gauge? I do have a seperate gauge as well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I also carry one of those rechargable battery compressors as mentioned above. Mine came from an Ace Hardware store and was around $49 or so. I believe it is a Campbell-Hausfield or something like that. It does have the 12 volt jack and cables that could be used to jumper the car (under the hood) should I kill the small 12 volt start battery in the hatch area. It won't do a larger car battery but it should, at least, get the computers powered up.

Fwiw, I haven't needed the jumper portion of the unit...yet. So far it has been a good investment and I have used it to pressure up other's tires more often with it. I carry one of those small mushroom plugger tools in a bag in the car as well. Good for the occassional nail or drywall screw that I or someone else picks up in the hardware store's parking lot. Some guy actually paid me what the plugger was worth once in the lot so it wasn't a bad purchase.

I do have a large dual-tank Porter Cable unit in the garage with a retractable hose reel mounted on the wall. I use that one more frequently as I can hook and power an impact gun with it for tire changes and working on other projects needing more air volume.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
salsawonder said:
So it appears that a trip to Walmaart can help us keep our Prii in prime rinning condition???? Can it really be as easy as a bicylce pump!?! I guess maybe Target would have something too right??? I personally hate stopping at the gas station, no longer free but often not well maintained and even with a smaller car like he Prius you have to struggle with that rubber tubing.
Which area does the cigarette lighter one fit in?? Does it take long to fill and does it have its own gauge? I do have a seperate gauge as well.
I found a link for the model I have... (and at a damn good price too)

http://www.chpower.com/chstore/hot_buys ... id=400221#

It fits in the small compartment on the driver's side of the cargo area, along with a pressure guage and a couple of bungee hooks in case I need to tie someone...er...something down. It's not the fastest thing in the world, and can take a couple of minutes per tire, depending on how low they are pressure wise.

As for the bicycle pump, here's a link to that as well

http://bobsbicycles.com/site/itemdetail ... sort=Price

Of my two options, I'd say the hand pump, though much more work, is faster, and it's easier to attach/detach to the tire...though that my be a quirk specfic to my two items.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Due to having lived on rural dirt roads for eight years, I have a large commercial type compressor and got very good at flat repair. This thanks to the construction trucks that seemed to shed nails like a dog sheds hair.

I use the little valve stem indicators and check them visually at each fillup. About once every three months (when I change the oil, filter, and rotate the tires) I check them with an analog gauge and also check for nails or other tire damage.

For road repairs, I bought the extended coverage... when it runs out I'll probably start carrying the cans of air/sealant, even though it mucks up the inside of the rims with sticky goo.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks Meglish! I ordered the little one online but will look in a couple sporting stores here in SD to avoid S&H on the bicycle pump. I think I may need to have my left front tire checked as it looks soft every 3 +/- weeks.

I wish Florida was closer to California, you sound like a fun bunch!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use a 10 pound Power Tank that is installed in my Jeep for weekly maintenance checks. If I were to go on a long trip I would probably use a Quick Air II or III. This is a 12V air compressor that can fill a 15" tire in 15 seconds. The QA II cost about $300. If you are OC about car maintenance like I am, it's worth every penny.

Fred 8)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Like some others, I carry the 12-Volt WallMart compressor and a good tire gauge (Bought mine from Racer Parts Wholesale online). It has a 3½" analog dial making it easy to get accurate pressure readings and a heavy-duty 6" hose. I found the "stick" type gauges and the digital gauges harder to use and was suspicious of their readings. I maintain 42# front - 40# rear.

My N.Y.Day 240-mile freeway run produced 54.5 MPG cruising at 70-75 MPH.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Here's the one I've got. I couldn't be happier with it. It's from Sears if that makes you feel any better (it shouldn't).

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...2875116000&subcat=Air+Compressors+&+Inflators

The bottom line is that you need an inflator/compressor if you care about your tire pressure. In my neck of the woods, gas stations don't have working air pumps. If they do, it costs $.50 to use it.

Not only do I now keep the P-Star's tires full, but my wife's Murano benefits as well. I have no doubt that it's paid for itself in gas savings.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
dgstan said:
The bottom line is that you need an inflator/compressor if you care about your tire pressure. In my neck of the woods, gas stations don't have working air pumps. If they do, it costs $.50 to use it.
Not only that, but you heat up the tires driving to the gas station (or from gas station to gas station looking for a working air pump). Also, when I go to Dad's house, I can look at his gas hog, tell him his tires are low, and make him fill them right then. Yes, I know 'you cannot tell by looking,' but I'm always right. They're low. Darn gas hog...

·
Registered
144 Posts
I always use whatever pressure the tire manufacturer asks for, you have to allow for winter and summer temperatures. I had to fire my oil changers # jiffy lube as they were usine some toyota generated chart that had them deflating my 45 lb tires to 32 lbs. nearly 25% not good or safe so I now have a compresser and it only takes 5 minutes a week. it save fuel more it saves tires. at 350$ a round I consider this most important :lol: 2001 white, going for 3001 8)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I found a link for the model I have... (and at a damn good price too)

http://www.chpower.com/chstore/hot_buys ... id=400221#

It fits in the small compartment on the driver's side of the cargo area, along with a pressure guage and a couple of bungee hooks in case I need to tie someone...er...something down. It's not the fastest thing in the world, and can take a couple of minutes per tire, depending on how low they are pressure wise.

I recieved this little compressor last week and just had cause to use it after a weekend trip to Paso Robles and Solvang. It worked great, does take a couple minute but way better than driving to a station and paying for air from a tube that is poorly maintained and that you have to drag and pull at.
I got 52mpg going up and 48 coming back to SD (always drive faster coming home and it was COLD in Paso!)

Best $10 I ever spent! ($5 for the unit and $5.95 to ship!)

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a heavier duty Sears 5 hp compressor. I can use it for sandblasting or painting, but a lot of times it is used for filling the tires. The one major advantage of using a real compressor like this is that I have a water trap on the air line, so the air going into the tire is dry. You can't do that with those cigarette lighter compressors. And I have read that water vapor is a big reason for tire pressure fluctuations.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
salsawonder said:
It worked great, does take a couple minute but way better than driving to a station and paying for air from a tube that is poorly maintained and that you have to drag and pull at.
Glad you like it.

Cheers

·
Registered
112 Posts
Why all the inefficient, slow waste of power messin'
around with 12V compressors? An ordinary hand
bicycle pump works fine, and doesn't take any longer to
top off a car tire.
_H*

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Hobbit said:
Why all the inefficient, slow waste of power messin'
around with 12V compressors? An ordinary hand
bicycle pump works fine, and doesn't take any longer to
top off a car tire.
_H*
That's true, and my first message in the thread says that I also use a hand pump... but I don't keep it in the vehicle like I do the compressor. There's no room. Besides... the pump is useful for a quick top-off, but filling a completely flat tire is a different story.

Cheers

·
Registered
199 Posts
melgish said:
That's true, and my first message in the thread says that I also use a hand pump... but I don't keep it in the vehicle like I do the compressor. There's no room. Besides... the pump is useful for a quick top-off, but filling a completely flat tire is a different story.

Cheers
You sure are "cheer"ful Meglish. I went to wine country last weekend so I was very "cheer"ful then!! Really like that little pump, with a light sounds even better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts