Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd pass along a suggestion.

Shortly after I picked up my Prius I went down to the local drug store and purchased 2 cans of spray Scotchguard and sprayed every inch of the interior of my Pruis (not the plastic areas of course). Seats, arm rests, carpets and floor mats.

Before I sprayed the floor mats I cleaned them with the upholstery cleaner portion of my carpet cleaner unit as I didn't want to seal in any dirt.

This of course won't keep the dirt off the interior but it will make it easier to clean and keep stains from forming.

p.s. when I was done, the interior looked perfect and for those that like the new car smell (myself included), that remained.

·
Registered
261 Posts
KURT said:

Shortly after I picked up my Prius I went down to the local drug store and purchased 2 cans of spray Scotchguard and sprayed every inch of the interior of my Pruis
You could have saved ALL that work by paying your dealer hundreds of dollars for their protection package....whaddya gonna try next, waxing it yourself!
:roll:

·
Registered
82 Posts
KURT said:

Shortly after I picked up my Prius I went down to the local drug store and purchased 2 cans of spray Scotchguard and sprayed every inch of the interior of my Pruis (not the plastic areas of course). Seats, arm rests, carpets and floor mats.

Before I sprayed the floor mats I cleaned them with the upholstery cleaner portion of my carpet cleaner unit as I didn't want to seal in any dirt.

This of course won't keep the dirt off the interior but it will make it easier to clean and keep stains from forming.

p.s. when I was done, the interior looked perfect and for those that like the new car smell (myself included), that remained.
I have been scotching guarding my cars' interiors for years. It works. Not only that-- but the scotch guarding lasts for years and it more than effective. I try to scotch guard a new car right away before I drive it much. It's second nature for me now to scotch guard a car's interior.

Love my Prius.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What do you do when dirt appears after Scotch guarding? I have 2 little kids! :? How is cleaning different with Scotch Guard applied??

·
Registered
112 Posts
you may have just waiste scotchguard. Have you read up anything about this cars interior fabric. I understand scotchguarding the carpets.. or hand rest.. but the seats are made by an italian company. We have experianced chocolate and even ink to get on them and simply wipe off. I would hate for the scotchguard to react with the seats and take away that manufactuer protection.

·
Registered
84 Posts
To determine if Scotch Guard works on a Prius you would have to apply it to half of the fabric, for example half of the front seat, and then compare. Your seats may still be looking like new because the fabric resists soiling.

I clean my seats by wiping them with ArmorAll cleaning or glass wipes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think the best thing about scotch guard is that if you spill water on a seat, it will "bead up." That's how you test that the scotch guard is effective. I have used scotch guard on my dining room chairs, uphostery throughout the house, and former cars and this Prius. If anything spills on it, (especially dastardly stuff....), I would take a little 409, spray it on a cloth, and gently wipe off the gunk. It should come off in a jiffy.

I have used this technique on blood on fabric, chocolate, coffee, etc. etc. Scotch guard is pretty good. Now, I will say that 3M appears to have changed the formula. The good stuff used to come out as a foam. Now it is a liquid spray. I can only hope it is still as effective as the "old stuff."

Spray your car and then live worry free. It will stay amazingly clean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts