Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I constantly use the cruise control. It drives me crazy that the car always starts with the cruise control off instead of remembering the last state of the cruise control when the car was turned off.

Is this one of those things that can be changed by the dealer through a setting, or is this the standard?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Maybe 16 months ago, somebody posted that they had built a circuit that waited a few seconds after starting the car then triggered the cruise control to come on. Unlike other ideas like that, no further postings came up...

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
janitorjay said:
I constantly use the cruise control. It drives me crazy that the car always starts with the cruise control off instead of remembering the last state of the cruise control when the car was turned off.
I'm not sure there is any advantage to having the cruise control turn on when starting as the speed setting is erased after dropping below around 30 MPH (can't remember the exact MPH). That setting loss is what bothers me. For example, stopping to pay a toll requires manually accelerating back to the original speed and then setting the cruise control again. This is the first car I have owned that does that. All of my previous cars allowed me to use the resume feature to get back up to speed.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
:)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
firepa63 said:
janitorjay said:
I'm not sure there is any advantage to having the cruise control turn on when starting as the speed setting is erased after dropping below around 30 MPH (can't remember the exact MPH). That setting loss is what bothers me. For example, stopping to pay a toll requires manually accelerating back to the original speed and then setting the cruise control again. This is the first car I have owned that does that. All of my previous cars allowed me to use the resume feature to get back up to speed.
Get Sunpass/EzPass! Then you either don't have to slow down, or only to 25MPH, which will still retain the resume speed.

From my experience, the way CC behaves is different from manufacturer to manufacturer. Some turn off CC when the car is turned off, especially if the on/off is electronic pushbutton versus a mechanical switch, and some retain resume below certain speeds, but won't engage below a certain speed, some lose resume setting altogether.
When I first start off, I forget that CC is off, and try to set my speed, only to find myself decelerating, followed by me saying or thinkging "DOH!"

·
Registered
455 Posts
I would strongly guess this is the result of lawsuits. Every car I have driven in the last couple years has been like this, unlike my old Civic and Camry where you could leave it on. The Prius adds one more thing to it terms of if your speed drops below 40, it "loses" the set speed memory. Very annoying I agree. In my Civic my cruise control was on for years and years -- I never turned it off. I am guessing a few people forgot it was on, hit the button to engage it accidentally, then thought the car was possessed. Or loaned the car to a friend, who go into an accident when they took their foot off the gas and the car kept going. A couple of lawsuits later, and we all lose the conveiniance (sp?). People are idiots, and need to be saved from themselves.
This is total speculation on my part. But it seems several car makers have gone to this way in the past 2-3 years; so it would seem odd otherwise.
Spike

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ok I don't really want to cause trouble here so please take this with grain of salt. Sometimes I'm just a wise guy 8) . Driving a car is not really a passive activity. You have to be alert. So how hard is it to push the accelerator and then flick a little lever down once you get up to speed. It's not like the cruise control with memory saved you any time. You're not going anywhere. You still have to sit in the drivers seat and pay attention, and it's not like you can be knitting or something.

I'm thinking of starting a new kind of award. The only thing I can equate it to is the Darwin awards and I still need a decent name for them. The awards are given to those of us who can't quite seem to put forth the effort and time to do or complete a task even though the task requires little or no extra effort. My wife could win a few of these without blinking an eye. Here's an example - It's roughly ten steps from the kitchen table to the recycle bin in the garage. Yet when it's time to set the table for dinner, the days newspaper can only make it three or four steps and then it just gets dropped on the floor like it's gonna get the rest of the way by itself. So if we can come up with a name for these awards, we can start handing them out.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Well, there is a good reason at least in the Prius why one would want to remember the set point and go there: computer controlled acceleration.
My observation has been that the CC will keep the car in deadband - no current going into or out of the battery for acceleration. This is speculated to be the most efficient acceleration rate.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
actually, the cut-off speed is 24mph. That's the lowest that you can set the cruise control, and also the speed below which the cruise forgets the last set speed.

(considering that I had a car once in the past that whenever you hit the cruise control button, the car would go into a form of "turbo boost" - constantly speeding up with no end (we hit the brakes to cancel around 85mph). Could never reset the thing for another speed, it was just the constant turbo-boost. had a mechanic permanently disable the cruise control, so that the button wouldn't get us into an accident...)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DanMan32 said:
When I first start off, I forget that CC is off, and try to set my speed, only to find myself decelerating, followed by me saying or thinkging "DOH!"
It's good to hear that I'm not the only one who has this happen to them. When you are in heavy, fast-moving traffic, having the car suddenly slow down isn't the safest thing in the world. That's what truly bugs me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cully said:
Ok I don't really want to cause trouble here so please take this with grain of salt. Sometimes I'm just a wise guy 8) . Driving a car is not really a passive activity. You have to be alert. So how hard is it to push the accelerator and then flick a little lever down once you get up to speed. It's not like the cruise control with memory saved you any time. You're not going anywhere. You still have to sit in the drivers seat and pay attention, and it's not like you can be knitting or something.
I agree with you that driving should be done in a safe and watchful manner. My complaint isn't with having to set my speed because the car didn't "memorize" it. My complaint is that, if I set the the speed but have forgotten to turn the cruise control on, the dramatic slow down when letting go of the accelerator can be dangerous on a busy highway. If the car can remember that I had my A/C and radio on, it should be able to remember that I had the cruise control on.

·
Registered
224 Posts
It's a (perceived) safety issue more than anything else. If cruise control memory stayed active at lower speeds and you accidentally flicked "resume" while in a heavy traffic area that was moving well below the speed limit, you may not be able to stop the sudden unexplained acceleration in time to avoid an accident.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree with Paul. Is it that dramatic of a slow down? I'd rather the car slow down a little in 60mph traffic than accelerate in 35mph traffic. This really is silly, where talking about 2 very slight finger movements. I'm sure that over time you will be able to re-train yourself. After all, it took me a good day and a half to get used to not even having to use my key.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Driving up a hill on a L.A. freeway, you not only slow down fast, you are already being tailgated, so it is a safety issue!

·
Registered
52 Posts
OK I'll admit that it's been a slow day here at the office and I've had way too much time to think about this. If indeed this is a safety issue, it seems to me that Toyota has kind of gone with a cautious approach. One that doesn't allow the car to accelerate to some pre assigned speed with the push of button. Like I said before, you have to re-train yourself. In the mean time, give yourselves 1/2 mile or so in front and in back of you before you think about playing with that cruise control lever. That way you have time to react.

I always thought cruise control was more for the open road and found it pretty much impossible to use on a crowded freeway. Too many people going different speeds. How long does it take to realize that you are slowing down? Maybe a couple seconds. If in that period of time someone hits you from behind then it is their fault.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Cully said:
I'm thinking of starting a new kind of award. The awards are given to those of us who can't quite seem to put forth the effort and time to do or complete a task even though the task requires little or no extra effort.
I'd help you out in trying to think of a name, but it's too much effort, sorry.

:wink:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
ehurtley said:
Cully said:
I'm thinking of starting a new kind of award. The awards are given to those of us who can't quite seem to put forth the effort and time to do or complete a task even though the task requires little or no extra effort.
I'd help you out in trying to think of a name, but it's too much effort, sorry.

:wink:
I was just gonna say,

·
Registered
455 Posts
I am however bummed that Toyota didn't offer their laser cruise control on the Prius. Being the high tech little show off that it is. It is weird, as I have posted before, we are looking at buying a Sienna (the Toyota minivan - ugghh). In the Sienna, I can get the laser cruise control, but no bluetooth or smart key. In the Prius, about $15k (MSRP) less than the Sienna; I can get bluetooth and smart key but no laser cruise.

Spike

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cully said:
If indeed this is a safety issue, it seems to me that Toyota has kind of gone with a cautious approach. One that doesn't allow the car to accelerate to some pre assigned speed with the push of button.
I'm not asking that the car remember the last speed at which the cruise control was set. I'm just asking that the car remember that the cruise control was on. I agree that it can be dangerous to have the car try to get you back to speed quickly.

Cully said:
Like I said before, you have to re-train yourself. In the mean time, give yourselves 1/2 mile or so in front and in back of you before you think about playing with that cruise control lever. That way you have time to react.
On a fairly crowded road, you never get to the point of having that much space either in front of or behind you.

Cully said:
I always thought cruise control was more for the open road and found it pretty much impossible to use on a crowded freeway. Too many people going different speeds.
In my situation, the the highway is busy, but not in a sense that forces me to alter my speed. I sit in the right lane doing about 5 over the speed limit, with cars constantly passing me doing ~20 over. It's busy in the sense that a lot of cars are there, but they are moving (around me).

Cully said:
How long does it take to realize that you are slowing down? Maybe a couple seconds. If in that period of time someone hits you from behind then it is their fault.
You are correct; it would be there fault. But that doesn't really help when you are recuperating from being struck from behind at 40+ MPH.

I realize that this isn't the most dire of safety issues we face, but it would be nice to have it covered. From the answers I'm getting, it sounds like I would have to shop for a mod to take care of it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
As soon as this award gets a name, ehurtley and An04 will be nominated.

Jay wouldn't it be easier and potentially cheaper to just build the habit of hitting that that button right after you press the power button?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts