Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys -- thought I'd share a hurricane Prius story.

We weathered the storm in Waveland, MS, and I lost two vehicles in the ensuing flood -- a Montero and a Hummer H2. Exactly one month before the storm I had taken delivery of a 2005 Prius, which I had up in my garage in Pass Christian. It survived the storm.

With our other 2 cars gone, we had the Prius to rely on. And with the roads cleared, 3 days later my wife and I piled our 3 little girls (ages 6, 3 and 8 months) into the back seat of the Prius, and grabbed as many belongings as we could.

The car already had 120 miles on the tank, but with gas nonexistent in the area there was no other choice but to head north. We got 180 miles inland before we saw electricty, but gas lines were still 25+ cars deep so we kept going. We eventually made it to Tuscaloosa, AL, and with nearly 500 miles on the tank stopped for gas. They were limiting fuel purchases to $25 but that basically topped us off, with SUV customers getting maybe a quarter of a tank.

We drove 20 straight hours and eventually made it to just outside of Reading, PA. Average MPG: 52.

Two weeks later I flew back down to Mobile, AL and called the Toyota dealer there. I told them I was at the airport, and that if somebody would come get me, I'd buy a car. 10 minutes later a salesman picked me up. I'm now also the proud owner of a 2006 Highlander Hybrid.

I'm not sure how to contact Toyota corporate, but I would like to thank them for their fine engineering because I don't know what we would have done without it. Our 8-month old had an ear infection and with no doctors or hospitals in the area we needed to get her out of there, and the Prius was a godsend.

Oh, and the Highlander is great, too. :)

Darin Johnson

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
xgadlp said:
hi guys -- thought I'd share a hurricane Prius story.

We weathered the storm in Waveland, MS, and I lost two vehicles in the ensuing flood -- a Montero and a Hummer H2. Exactly one month before the storm I had taken delivery of a 2005 Prius, which I had up in my garage in Pass Christian. It survived the storm.

With our other 2 cars gone, we had the Prius to rely on. And with the roads cleared, 3 days later my wife and I piled our 3 little girls (ages 6, 3 and 8 months) into the back seat of the Prius, and grabbed as many belongings as we could.

The car already had 120 miles on the tank, but with gas nonexistent in the area there was no other choice but to head north. We got 180 miles inland before we saw electricty, but gas lines were still 25+ cars deep so we kept going. We eventually made it to Tuscaloosa, AL, and with nearly 500 miles on the tank stopped for gas. They were limiting fuel purchases to $25 but that basically topped us off, with SUV customers getting maybe a quarter of a tank.

We drove 20 straight hours and eventually made it to just outside of Reading, PA. Average MPG: 52.

Two weeks later I flew back down to Mobile, AL and called the Toyota dealer there. I told them I was at the airport, and that if somebody would come get me, I'd buy a car. 10 minutes later a salesman picked me up. I'm now also the proud owner of a 2006 Highlander Hybrid.

I'm not sure how to contact Toyota corporate, but I would like to thank them for their fine engineering because I don't know what we would have down without it. Our 8-month old had an ear infection and with no doctors or hospitals in the area we needed to get her out of there, and the Prius was a godsend.

Oh, and the Highlander is great, too. :)

Darin Johnson
Hello Darin, Great story and here is where you can send your story:
Simply go to: http://www.toyota.com and post your story or find someone
to relay your message.

·
Registered
610 Posts
:) Howdy Darin

Now, aren't you glad you had the wisdom to buy a Prius (and a Highlander)??

We bought our Prius a year back and now we :D*SMILE*:D every time we re-fuel. Our '96 Camry also yields very good mileage, but at that it's only about half the efficiency of the Prius.

·
Registered
344 Posts
how's this for getting your message passed along?

my husband works for a very large Toyota dealer. in fact, the head of Toyota North America will be there next Wednesday. i'll print this story off for you and have it hand-delivered for you :)

i should also mention- glad to hear you and your family are okay! best wishes in recovering your losses...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Great Story!

What a great story. Thank goodness all are well, and I assume
the little one's ear is OK?

Oh yeah.....did you get below MSRP on the Highlander?

Notice the karma here....Hybrid replaces Hummer......after storm...caused by global warming....caused by emissions.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Re: Great Story!

Isabelle said:
What a great story. Thank goodness all are well, and I assume
the little one's ear is OK?

Oh yeah.....did you get below MSRP on the Highlander?

Notice the karma here....Hybrid replaces Hummer......after storm...caused by global warming....caused by emissions.
Yes, that story is pure good karma. What a great read. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Katrina story

I am new to posting on the board. I'm 42 days into my wait for my Prius. I think it will be a while since I am in the Midwest. Anyhow, I was volunteering with the Red Cross in Bogalusa, La after Katrina hit. The area was a mess. We had 4000 people lined up for food in the heat with no water to give them. People were running out of gas and riding bikes to get to us. One day I noticed a Prius on the rtoad next to our feeding lot. I tapped on the window and said "you are not using gas right now ...are you? They smiled and said ...NO". I can't wait to get mine. I just hope it does not take as long as I think it will. My next post will be as a Prius owner!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Galaxee -- that would be great. BTW, our Prius is black, too. So's the Highlander. There aren't a lot of Prius(es) on the gulf coast -- too many pick-up trucks and dual-lys that get even worse mileage than my Hummer did.

Our 8-month old is fine, too -- ear is OK.

And no... I paid MSRP for the Highlander. Which actually impressed me because so many dealers are trying to mark them up. And the salesman took me to dinner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts