Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live near Daytona Beach, Florida and just visited the only Toyota dealership in town to see a Prius. Several observations and questions:

1. They indicated that they had no Prius' for sale, but, they could let me try one that had already been sold, waiting to be picked up.

2. The one they had me in was a 2005 with "Package 6." My first impressions were very positive. It seems to be well appointed and very roomy - back and front.. I liked the utility of the front display and the nav system.

3. When we got out onto the road, it seemed to ride well. My concern was its pickup. When driving, I tend to be on and off US highways fairly often. I need good acceleration when I enter the highway. Will the Prius give it to me? As we didn't take it on the highway, I really couldn't tell. On one straight local road with no traffic I floored it. It seems to accelerate pretty slow. The saleman said that it was actually accelerating pretty fast, but, it was just that I didn't feel the gearshifting like in a non-hybrid car. I'm not sure I believe that and would like some other unbias impressions.

4. The price was the next concern. The saleman indicated to me that the 2005 with a "Package 6" would run $30,000. That included about $5,000 premium over sticker. He also went on to say that, everything being equal, a similar 2006 would retail for about $35,000! This starts to get kind of pricey. Is this price in the right range or is he just trying to sell me?

I would appreciate any help on this. I would be looking to get Prius in February, 2006.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Pick up is certainly not a problem and there are a few things you need to get used it. This is not new since it applies to other "regular" vehicles with CVT transmissions like the Murano, MINI Cooper, Audi A4, Saturn ION etc.

When you accelerate in the Prius, you get a linear acceleration and thus no "kick" when you floor it. Use the speedo to gauge how fast rather than the seat of your pants. Also, don't worry about hearing the engine rev high. It will not over rev and it's just revving at maximum torque (~4400rpm). I took at roadtrip back in May down the I-5 with 4 people on board + luggage for one night for four + shopping. The Prius had no problem reaching 70mph safely.

As for the price. I'd choose another dealer to purchase the Prius. That "$5,000 premium" is bs. You can buy Prii off the lot on some areas so do shop around and find the best deal. At the moment it's MSRP or better. Anyone who wants to charge a "premium" should be avoided.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Pick up is fine. Don't worry about it.

As for the rest, find another dealer. No way this is the "only" dealer in Daytona. He just might be the closest to you.

No way you should pay over MSRP. You should not have to pay a premium.

Go on the internet and find all of the Toyota dealers within 100 miles of you. Send an e-mail to their internet sales managers with exactly the color and package you want. Make it clear you aren't paying over MSRP and will not pay for extras like undercoating or window etching. Tell them the first to respond with the car/package on your terms gets your money.

I'll bet you'll have responses within 30 minutes.

You may want to widen your range. The farther you're willing to travel the better you may be able to negotiate.

BTW after you buy the car, don't buy the extended 7 yr/ 100,000 mile/ 0 deductible warranty unless it's under $1,000.

If you can get them to throw in something for free. Like floor mats or tonneau cover.

·
Registered
69 Posts
$5000 premium is b.s.

I agree 100% with the above poster.

I also suggest going to cars.com and going through their "buy a new car" process. You'll get quotes from a number of dealers.

If you have to drive 50-100 miles to get your car, think of it as being paid $5000 to make the trip!

Best of luck!

Jan

·
Registered
82 Posts
I need good acceleration when I enter the highway. Will the Prius give it to me?
Well, I think this is very relative to your satisfaction. As a guy coming from BMW540iA, I feel that Prius is inferior between 30-60mph, but good from 0-30mph. Entering highway in a Prius will require some effort after all it has only 113hp(ICE+EM) to push 2890lb. When you push it really hard, it just feel like a 2.0L I4 sedan (per Toyota Japanese site comparison, and I agree). However, around town, you would feel like Prius is a more powful car due to it high torque at low speed (~300lb-ft!).

In closing, you would have to try it for yourself.

·
Registered
610 Posts
:roll: I would hate to think that a Salesperson would use my brand new Prius as a "demo" to a curious potential customer. While I might be happy to take an interested person for a ride and even let him/her drive a little, it would be *MY* decision, not a Salesperson's.

Accelleration in our Prius is fully as good and much smoother than our Camry, and the gas mileage is almost exactly double. Besides that, it is *FUN* to drive.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Good luck trying to find a 2006 Prius with Package #6 at a bargain price. By the time you add on Protective Extended Coverage you'll be paying close to if not over $30k.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The Prius is no where near as fast as my BMW 740il but it is one hell of a lot faster than my wife's Olds Bravada V6! And it gets 4X the mpg of the Bravada.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I drive freeways every day and my Prius has plenty of pick-up for me to feel safe. I'm used to driving relatively small cars that aren't hot rods, but it's got way more ability to "get out of its own way" than my Saturn SL2 did.

Don't pay more than MSRP. You may not be able to get a discount off list, but the markups are over the top. Try getting an internet quote -- around here, the internet quote would always be list and it would immediately stop the salesperson from trying to quote something higher.

·
Registered
25 Posts
First of DO NOT PAY MORE THAN MSRP!!

Get a cheap one way or round trip ticket to DC. Buy off the lot for $1,000 below MSRP for a package 6 and drive home.

Seriously - I didn't do any research on the Prius before I bought it, was planning on buying something else, but still got it for almost $1,000 off a month ago. A local dealer is advertising them in the Sunday paper at $1,000 below MSRP - been running the ad for two weeks now.

Acceleration is outstanding 0-30 and average 30-60.

My advice is to shop around and place an order with a dealer to take delivery in February. Availability may tighten up again starting 1-JAN-06 when the tax credit kicks in - currently there is a $2000 Federal Tax Deduction, this will change to a Federal Tax Credit between $1700 and $3100 depending on how the math works, haven't seen an official statement from Toyota yet.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
actuary32174 said:
They indicated that they had no Prius' for sale, but, they could let me try one that had already been sold, waiting to be picked up.
If the car has already been sold, as you say...then it does not belong to the dealer, and they had no right to let you drive it.

I'd hate to be that guy when the "owner" started asking questions about the miles on the car.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Call Terry Chapin, 1-800-378-5111 about order

Go To: http://www.toyota.com and enter ZipCode of any Dealer in Florida

We bought our 2005 Driftwood Prius in March from Terry Chapin
at MSRP, and couldn't have been happier with his service.

Give Terry a call at: 1-800-378-5111 with any further questions

http://home.earlstewarttoyota.com/New-Inventory.aspx
They list current availability. Lower Prices = Lower Numbered Options

Earl Stewart Toyota of North Palm Beach Inventory

Model Year Model Exterior Color Interior Available MSRP
2005 Hbrid Gas/Electric Sedan (4 Speed Automaic) Super White Burgundy/dk Gray Immediately $24,791
2005 Hbrid Gas/Electric Sedan (4 Speed Automaic) Salsa Red Pearl Dark Brown/Ivory Immediately $24,065
2005 Hbrid Gas/Electric Sedan (4 Speed Automaic) Super White Burgundy/dk Gray Immediately $27,025
2005 Hbrid Gas/Electric Sedan (4 Speed Automaic) Millennium Silver Metallic Burgundy/dk Gray Immediately $25,057
2005 Hbrid Gas/Electric Sedan (4 Speed Automaic) Super White Dark Brown/Ivory Immediately $29,220
2005 Hbrid Gas/Electric Sedan (4 Speed Automaic) Super White Burgundy/dk Gray 08/22/05 $25,578
2005 Hbrid Gas/Electric Sedan (4 Speed Automaic) Millennium Silver Metallic Burgundy/dk Gray 09/03/05 $24,637
2005 Hbrid Gas/Electric Sedan (4 Speed Automaic) Driftwood Pearl Dark Brown/Ivory 09/03/05 $27,565
2005 Hbrid Gas/Electric Sedan (4 Speed Automaic) Millennium Silver Metallic Burgundy/dk Gray 09/07/05 $23,956
2005 Hbrid Gas/Electric Sedan (4 Speed Automaic) Salsa Red Pearl Dark Brown/Ivory 09/07/05 $27,565

You should get MSRP quotes only.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Find another dealer. You shouldn't be paying over MSRP, I bought mine over a year ago, when things were a little crazier and didn't pay over. Also do you really want to use a dealer who would let another client drive a car that has already been sold to someone else? And do excelleration runs on it? Two BIG warning signs to find another dealer.

With taxes and everything you should not be close to $30,000.

Acceleration is fine. I find it a lttle different than others here. I find 0-30 kind of pokey, but after that is fine. Highway passing is quite good.

It is no speed demon, or 7 or 5 series BMW, but neither is a 3 series BMW not really a fair comparo. But it easily beats or equals the best in the economy car segment.

IndyDoug is "Protective Extended Coverage" anything like double super secret probation?

Now I love this car, but no way anyone should be paying near $30,000 for it -- even fully loaded. If you did or are, you got taken for a ride.

Spike

·
Registered
455 Posts
Find another dealer. You shouldn't be paying over MSRP, I bought mine over a year ago, when things were a little crazier and didn't pay over. Also do you really want to use a dealer who would let another client drive a car that has already been sold to someone else? And do excelleration runs on it? Two BIG warning signs to find another dealer.

With taxes and everything you should not be close to $30,000.

Acceleration is fine. I find it a lttle different than others here. I find 0-30 kind of pokey, but after that is fine. Highway passing is quite good.

It is no speed demon, or 7 or 5 series BMW, but neither is a 3 series BMW not really a fair comparo. But it easily beats or equals the best in the economy car segment.

IndyDoug is "Protective Extended Coverage" anything like double super secret probation?

Now I love this car, but no way anyone should be paying near $30,000 for it -- even fully loaded. If you did or are, you got taken for a ride.

Spike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts