Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered my new Prius yesterday! :D I had to go all over town to find a dealer that would give me a fair amount for our trade-in (a 2001 Jetta). Every dealer I went to left us at least a thousand dollars upside-down until our last stop. They were awesome!

Anyways, the salesman told me the wait is 1-2 months. Another salesman, whom I spoke to over the phone, told me that Toyota only takes orders at their factory for the Prius twice a month: in the middle and at the end of the month. If this is true, the earliest my Prius would be ordered is around the middle of September.

That having been said, I have seen rumors that the 2006 Prius will begin its manufacturing run in October. Does anyone here have any other info and could hazard a guess as to whether or not my Prius will be '05 or '06? The salesman even made a point to mention that since our order falls in this "transition period," we may wind up with an '06.

I've looked around, but see no info about pricing on the various packages that are supposedly offered nationwide for the 2006s. So this may cost me more... but with a built-in MP3 player who cares? ;)

Looking forward to scouring this site, and to being a Prius owner! Thanks!

--Jeff P.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest, I'd gladly pay a little more (or less) in exchange for more granularity in the way of option choices. I'd like to have the flexibility in options that seems to be coming with the '06 models. The only packages available in my area (Ohio) are 3, 4, and 6. #3 was a little bare-bones for us, and we don't really need the GPS in #6, so #4 was the way to go.

·
Registered
68 Posts
what was your final stop (the ones who offered you a fair trade for your jetta?)

btw, as i understand it, they're both right. at the middle of the month and the end of the month an 'allocation' arrives at the port.

essentially, a ship with a ton of prius arrives and is sorted out to dealerships in the region. you're specs are matched with one in the allocation and sent to the first person on the waiting list. you have to wait until you're first on that list for the specs you choose.

·
Registered
420 Posts
deltwalrus said:
To be honest, I'd gladly pay a little more (or less) in exchange for more granularity in the way of option choices.
Just a warning that it may not be "a little." We ordered an '04 in June 2004, and when an '05 was delivered in November, the dealer took that to mean our contract was void and they could charge us an additional $3k. We ended up starting over with another dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts