Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
My wife is DEMANDING I get the door lock. I always forget to lock the doors, and she's convinced I'm gonna get 'jacked someday.

BTW, her '01 Beetle has that feature standard, not that I'd recommend that car to anyone but my worst enemy, after having it in the shop overandoverandoverandover again for various mystery electrical problems.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Cool. 8) Considering the size, cost and apparent ease of installation, I wonder how long it'll be before Toyota themselves make the feature standard on the Prius (or at least an option).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes, but

Personally, I find almost all this automatic stuff to be annoying. What I like best (not) is the way my 2003 Prius automatically locks the doors after a set amount of time once I leave the vehicle. It makes me crazy to walk into the house, empty my pockets, and then walk back out to get the groceries only to find that the car has locked itself. Leave such things up to the driver, not the car. Or, maybe all new cars should have a button; "I am smarter than my car", "Yes" or "No". The "No" people can have all the automated features they want :)

As for locking the doors when under way, I do that automatically also. There is this little button that locks the doors, I push it.

Maybe there is a way to deprogram that, I should look it up.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Thomme said:
My wife is DEMANDING I get the door lock. I always forget to lock the doors, and she's convinced I'm gonna get 'jacked someday.
Make sure you get the optional window stickers...
"Driver has less than $20 cash, and cannot open doors from inside vehicle"

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Re: Yes, but

Panjandrum said:
Personally, I find almost all this automatic stuff to be annoying. What I like best (not) is the way my 2003 Prius automatically locks the doors after a set amount of time once I leave the vehicle. It makes me crazy to walk into the house, empty my pockets, and then walk back out to get the groceries only to find that the car has locked itself. Leave such things up to the driver, not the car. Or, maybe all new cars should have a button; "I am smarter than my car", "Yes" or "No". The "No" people can have all the automated features they want :)

As for locking the doors when under way, I do that automatically also. There is this little button that locks the doors, I push it.

Personally, I would like to have automatic locking doors. I live in a very low-crime neighborhood (in the past 12 months, there have only been 2 crimes committed within half a mile. Both at the 7-11,) so I often neglect to lock my doors. With the Prius, because everything else is automatic, I often forget to lock them when I'm in less safe neighborhoods. (It doesn't help that from my other vehicles, I lock them from inside before closing the door, and the Prius won't let me do that.)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Leave such things up to the driver, not the car. Or, maybe all new cars should have a button; "I am smarter than my car", "Yes" or "No". The "No" people can have all the automated features they want :)
So Panjandrum, did you choose the optional handcrank starter on the front of the car too?

If you don't like certain convenience features, that's your right, but I think you can state that without insulting other forum members' intelligence.

·
Registered
13 Posts
but I think you can state that without insulting other forum members' intelligence.
A bit of sarcasm is good for the daily laugh. Besides that, I really wonder why you should want this feature.. is the jackin rate so high overthere?

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts

Panjandrum said:

maybe something new with the 2003s? My 2001 and my mother's 2002 do not do that...

If you press the unlock button on the remote, and do not open a door within 30 (or is it 45?) seconds, the car will relock itself. Perhaps you're using the unlock button on your car when you get out?

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts

ehurtley said:
Panjandrum said:

Personally, I would like to have automatic locking doors. I live in a very low-crime neighborhood (in the past 12 months, there have only been 2 crimes committed within half a mile. Both at the 7-11,) so I often neglect to lock my doors. With the Prius, because everything else is automatic, I often forget to lock them when I'm in less safe neighborhoods. (It doesn't help that from my other vehicles, I lock them from inside before closing the door, and the Prius won't let me do that.)

I suggest always locking your doors with your remote. If you don't hear the door locks (or lights blink and/or SE&SS beep on the 2004s), then you know that a door is ajar (car won't lock if a door is open), and therefore an interior light is on (which'll drain your 12v battery overnight leaving you to jumpstart the car in the morning)

Not so much for car safety, but for 12v battery safety.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Besides that, I really wonder why you should want this feature.. is the jackin rate so high overthere?
No, the odds of geting 'jacked are quite slim, but it's just generally for safety. Same reason I buckle up every time, even though I've never had an accident.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That's why we have the smily

If you don't like certain convenience features, that's your right, but I think you can state that without insulting other forum members' intelligence.
Thomme, we have smilies, like this one :) so that people can get a general idea of our conversational tone (always a problem on the net where tone of voice, facial expression, etc., don't exist).

My statement had a smily after it. That basically means I'm not actually being serious about my statement. It is meant as a joke. I do not actually think people who want automated features are stupid.

Maybe all forums should have a button "I am smarter than the emoticons" and a "yes or "no" response. The forum then won't bother displaying emoticons to those unable to understand them :)

Big double smily, OK? :) :)

And yes, I ordered the hand-crank feature. It looks a little funny sticking the hood, but what the hell, it's a good conversation piece.

P.S. I think I do sometimes unlock the car using the little transponder, even when I'm in the car. I'll see if there is a pattern to the car re-locking itself. Maybe this is a case of me needing to RTFM.

P.P.S. I still use the old-style smilies, because I find the new ones almost, but not quite, as annoying as the self-locking feature of my Prius...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts