Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gotten two Recall notices already - > SSC 40A and 40D. Are they the same? I'm reluctant to let a dealer touch my baby since it's running perfectly. . . and then there are those horror stories about certain dealers botching the service "upgrade" resulting in entire ECU replacement . . etc. Can anyone recommend a dealer in the Seattle area who has performed the service upgrades without incident ??

Thanks in advance for responding.
klatu-out

·
Registered
81 Posts
I did not get the SSC 40 D notice, but I called the 888 number and my car is included in the recall. I like the service department where I bought the car, but I think I'll wait a while to take it in, so they do a few before they do mine.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
SSC = Special Service Campaign. it's not a recall (which would be safety-related and have to be reported to the NHTSA)

The botched jobs are from the ECU upgrade being stopped somewhere in the middle of things. usually this is because the car's 12v battery gets drained (door left open? dead battery in the Toyota upgrade device drawing power from the car's 12v?), occasionally because the tech accidentially turns off the car or the tester in the middle of things. It's about an hour upgrade time on the procedure... Just make sure that your tech puts a 12v battery maintainer/charger on your car before you start, that there is no "B" on or blinking on their upgrade device, and make sure your car isn't touched while the upgrade is taking place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts