Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my #4 :)

question is, when I put the car in park, push the parking brake, power off, get out and lock the car and walk away, does the indicator light that is a symbol of a car with a key keep flashing always?

I've tried taking the sks fobs away from the car, and its still flashing, is this normal and it does it always, or am I doing something wrong (or not doing something).

thanks!!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
:) That's your Theft Deterrent System indicator light.

There's a wealth of information in your User's Manual. The very first section contains a listing of the panel indicator lights, pages 5 & 6 in my 2004 Manual.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks chas, I've been flipping through the manual and couldn't find anything saying it would 'stay on' like a anti-theft system, just wanted to make sure I was not forgetting to do something - as long as everyone elses does it, then I'm sure it'll be ok :D

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
That is the passive anti-theft system arm light. It is normal for it to flash. I will do so just about whever the vehicle is off. I believe it stays lit for 30 seconds after the vehicle is locked. It is like it is telling you that it is armed.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Don't feel like you are the only one that ever wondered about that either... I did, too!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Light must be on

Light must be on....in that way when you comeback to drive you have a light indicator that your car is braked and you do not start moving with it staying on, otherwise you are going to damage your brake pads and something else. Check the status light at all times before moving.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Re: Light must be on

Rmarchena said:
Light must be on....in that way when you comeback to drive you have a light indicator that your car is braked and you do not start moving with it staying on, otherwise you are going to damage your brake pads and something else. Check the status light at all times before moving.
No, that is the "Brake" light, telling you that you have the parking/emergency brake on.

The OP was asking about the little red car with a key icon on it (for the 2004-? Prius, on the Classic it's a red LED next to the radio), that blinks to tell you the engine immobilizer system, and the theft deterrent system if so equipped, is on. It's explained in the owner's manual in the keys section.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have a 2005 #6 Prius and I think my experience is different than what other people are describing. The car shaped light on the dash only flashes when the car is not locked and the security system is therefore not engaged. When I either lock the car from the black button on the outside handle or by pushing the inside door lock before shutting the door, the light comes on steady and stays on until I unlock it.

And I never see the key symbol unless the car can't read the key signal when I'm trying to start it. When that happens I usually have to move my purse so that the car can connect with the signal before I can start it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
janets98 said:
I have a 2005 #6 Prius and I think my experience is different than what other people are describing. The car shaped light on the dash only flashes when the car is not locked and the security system is therefore not engaged. When I either lock the car from the black button on the outside handle or by pushing the inside door lock before shutting the door, the light comes on steady and stays on until I unlock it.
Mine is almost the same as yours, but after a while it does start to flash. Have you ever tried looking at the light before you unlock the car?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
30 seconds after lock, it will start blinking again to indicate the alarm is armed.

unlocked, car powered off: blinking (who knows why)
Just locked: steady. Alarm preparing to arm with delay.
30 seconds after lock: blinking. Alarm armed.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Just locked: steady.
Even when the vehicle is unlocked the ignition interlock is active. So, even though the alarm is not on, the vehicle still can't be started without either SKS identifying a registered key, or having a registered key placed in the slot.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
DanMan32 said:
It's blinking even when you're inside the car and the doors are unlock because the engine immobiliser is armed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts