Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first hybrid Sep. 1 after doing exhaustive research into them and picked a 2001 Pius with 55,000 miles. I just got a call from my wife and the engine cranks and then imedietly dies and leaves her with only electric power. (I know it has a good batery and a full tank of gas) She said that the major alarm light is on and the LCD is saying "warning" She then called me about an hour later and said that the engine is now running but rough. This sounds like a fuel system problem to me but this is my first forray into the hybrid world so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm thinking bad gas. I had water in my gas once and it took a tow to the dealer (not the Prius, a Saturn). While there, about 10 tow trucks showed up all with Saturns on the back. The General Manager was going nuts yelling at whoever to "Get all the tow trucks outta here as it looks very bad from the salesfloor."

Turns out they all had water in the tanks form the same Chevron station. Don't know how, maybe a flood or a disgruntled employee? They drained it and put some gas treatment for water in it and it was better after a few miles.

Now that I think about it, I've had water in the motorcycle and airplane too!

·
Registered
236 Posts
A few people have had this happen, including me.

I took it into the dealer a couple times and they couldn't find the problem so my fix was to just forget about it until the car just dies. The lights have came on and went off twice since I last posted and took it to the dealer for service. Both times they have went off in a day or so. I was able to start the car after about 10 minutes of letting it sit after the initial stall and warning light appearance. I paid $120 for three diagnostics charges on three separate trips to the local Toyota dealer and neither time did the codes they pulled correspond with the TSB that was issued for the P3191 code. They clear the code and restart the vehicle and could not get it to repeat, all three times... therefore not being able to find the problem.

Check out these two previous posts about similar problems with the Classic Pri....

http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=4571
http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=4305

Is this what you are experiencing?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got a call from my dealers service department and they asked if I had filled up with premium (NO WAY $$$) and said that they were getting a "no run" code and a "rough run" code which is indicitive of a "bad fuel" situation. So like G. McCurdy said it could be water in the gas. I will just have to wait and see I guess. I'll keep y'all posted.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Re: Just bought my 2001 Prius and it is in the shop 8 days l

iggy1iggy said:
I just got a call from my dealers service department and they asked if I had filled up with premium (NO WAY $$$) and said that they were getting a "no run" code and a "rough run" code which is indicitive of a "bad fuel" situation. So like G. McCurdy said it could be water in the gas. I will just have to wait and see I guess. I'll keep y'all posted.
Now you know how that station could have gas at $2.20!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok here is the low down. I finally got a call from the service department and they are saying that the ECU needs to be replaced. Thank God that I am still under the certified pre-owned waranty!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Re: Just bought my 2001 Prius and it is in the shop 8 days l

iggy1iggy said:
Ok here is the low down. I finally got a call from the service department and they are saying that the ECU needs to be replaced. Thank God that I am still under the certified pre-owned waranty!
Yep, that's usually what it ends up being with our year's model. Glad they caught it and that it's still under warranty.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
philmcneal said:
is the ECU is prone to failure for all 01 priuses?
No. But there was a know issue with some of them which caused very specific "no start" issue that iggy had. I'm familiar with most of the Gen2 issues, so I can't come up with the specific TSB that this relates back to. Maybe somebody else can?

·
Registered
582 Posts
01 Prius

You bet, JeromeP. The TSB that has caught the most 01-03 Prius is EG011-03. Pretty much the only one I point people towards for this symptom. The new ECU is covered for 80k miles. Hard cases might need the fuel pump relay or even a whole new fuel tank assembly, which become cost items at 36k.

The good news is that once you get the new ECU you are good forever. Or at least, we don't know how long. I had mine done at about 40k and now at 83k. Incidentally, the only other part I've needed so far was a rear wheel bearing.

Prius TSBs are posted by the !award-winning! MRV in the files section of the Yahoo toyota-prius-sat1 group.

DAS

·
Registered
4 Posts
We've had this problem with our 2001 Prius for almost two years now. It seems to be worse in temperature extremes, hot or cold. It has also steadily increased in occurance. We've had so many other issues with this car, and put so much money in it, that we put up with the inconveniece for now, (with over 118,000 miles, nothing is covered under warranty for us), At least now I know what needs replaced when it finally leaves me stranded.

Here's how I deal with it. Start the car and if the gas engine doesn't "kick in," turn everything off. I mean everything, your lights, heater, fan, windshield wipers, etc. Wait about a minute. Then restart the car and immediately switch to drive and drive forward. If this doesn't work, try again. Sometimes it has taken three or four tries to get the gas engine to "kick in." (Don't forget to turn your lights back on once you get started.)

If you're lucky enough that the car is still under warranty, don't wait to have it repaired! If you don't notice that the gas engine isn't working, you could seriously drain your large battery and be stranded somewhere!

·
Registered
582 Posts
a non starter

Camper, if I had your situation I would pop over to the Yahoo toyota-prius group and see if Eric Metzler still has his engine control module for sale. I'd buy it and swap it into the car (located somewhere around the front passenger footwell).

If that's not available, I would see how the dismantlers (like LKQ) price the part number 89661-47054. The last two number increase with embedded software revisions; 54 is the latest # I know; Metzler's is a 51.

DAS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts