Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I often jump start other cars for friends, family, or standed people. I read the manual this weekend and it goes over getting a jump from someone else. Can I still jump start other people? Just follow the same hook up directions?
Just wondering,
Pauline

·
Registered
110 Posts
Jump starting another vehicle is not recommended because the 12v battery in the Prius is not as large as conventional car batteries.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I recall reading about jump starting other cars but I cannot find it in the manual currently

Basicly connect the two cars as normal connecting directly to the prius battery
Let the prius charge the other battery for a time with the prius on
Disconnect the two cars and then try and start the other car

Do NOT try and start the other car with the prius on as you could blow one of your fuses
As well if you turn off the prius and try and use the prius as a helper battery or your battery could go flat

·
Registered
77 Posts
Get one of the portable batteries to jump other cars. I have the AC Delco unit that jumps, inflates tires and rafts/mattresses and includes a light and a 12 volt power point. It fits nicely in the rear storage compartment above the spare. Absolutely no worry about jumping in this manner.....

·
Registered
928 Posts
You really don't want the other car's engine to pull 400 cold cranking amps out of your Prius battery. It's best to limit the draw to under 100 amps. One suggestion to do this is go buy a pair of really cheap jumper cables with thin wires. Then let the Prius charge the other cars battery through this cable for 10 or so minutes (be sure your Prius is "Ready" before connecting the cables). Then try to start the other car (preferably with cables detached, but you may need to leave them attached for a little extra help). If the car won't start fairly quickly, give up and either go back to charging the battery or find someone with a big conventional battery to help.

The danger in all of this is if the other car's battery isn't just discharged, but has a short. Then you could draw over 100 amps even through the cheap cables.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow :shock: so glad I asked. The more I read the more I'm thinking get the AC Delco thing. They're easy enough to use and won't destroy my car helping someone else out.
Thanks everyone!
Pauline

·
Registered
54 Posts
You really don't want the other car's engine to pull 400 cold cranking amps out of your Prius battery. It's best to limit the draw to under 100 amps. One suggestion to do this is go buy a pair of really cheap jumper cables with thin wires. Then let the Prius charge the other cars battery through this cable for 10 or so minutes (be sure your Prius is "Ready" before connecting the cables). Then try to start the other car (preferably with cables detached, but you may need to leave them attached for a little extra help). If the car won't start fairly quickly, give up and either go back to charging the battery or find someone with a big conventional battery to help.

The danger in all of this is if the other car's battery isn't just discharged, but has a short. Then you could draw over 100 amps even through the cheap cables.
I believe I understand the premise behind the "cheap" cable and limiting current consideration, but I would never use cheap. Aside from that, I felt that this is the aformentioned is the quisential rule to follow when boosting that I just needed to support this approach wholeheartedly.

Additionally, if a visual inspection of the car to be boosted shows sign of neglect: aged and poor wires/cables/battery, then don't chance damaging your car hooking it up to a car that may have shoddy equipment. A bad(shorted/overcharging/spiking) alternator on their car could damage your car's charging system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts