Toyota Prius Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
well, guys i have a handy dandy emergency jump starter battery kit from Husky (home depot ) that i a nd a few other prius owners have that allows me to jump off my wimpy little 12 volt or any other vehicle
. i carry it in the back and charge it once a month . its very compact and i could help other motororists or myself without the fear of hurting "smiley".i think it cost me 30 bucks or so. i also have a tire inflator that runs off my cig lighter which i also keep under the rear "floor". i feel like a boyscout always prepared (and cheaply too) 8)

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Astrowoman said:
I actually got roadside assistance with the Prius as part of the deal -- is that another CA thing? I also still have AAA. Unfortunately that doesn't help my colleague in the parking lot at work who wants a jump start and doesn't have those... so enquiring minds would like to know!
3 years/36,000 miles of Toyota Roadside Assistance (which includes a tire/wheel road hazard warranty) comes complimentary with all US Prius.

see questions #16 and #17 on the Prius FAQ:
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/prius/faq.html

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
kelcuk said:
The manual explains how to jump start the Prius if the auxiliary battery is depleted. It does not say that you can jump start another vehicle with a drained battery. Does it work both ways? My Sienna needs a jump...
The Prius' 12v battery is smaller than an average car's 12v battery, because it never has to start an engine. So, if you do a traditional jumpstart/boost, you can overpower the Prius' 12v battery, and potentially blow the 100 amp fuse that charges it.

The preferred method of jumpstarting another vehicle, using a Prius is:
Turn off both cars.
Connect up the jumper cables per the owner's manual of the car that needs to be jumped. It's probably best to go direct with the Prius' 12v battery terminals, found in the trunk/boot, but if you have a 2004+ Prius you can probably use the under-hood jump points in the fuse box.
Turn on the Prius to READY, so that the gasoline engine can charge the hybrid battery, the hybrid battery can charge the 12v battery, and the 12v battery can charge the dead car's battery. Leave like this for at least 15minutes to recharge the dead car's battery.
Turn off the Prius, and disconnect all the jumper cables.
Try starting the dead car using its own somewhat charged battery. Drive this car around for a while to let it recharge its own battery more.
This'll only work if the dead car's battery is merely too weak to start the car. If it has any damage or an internal short, it won't work (and could be dangerous to charge it).

The real preferred method, other than having an auto club come out, is to have a portable jumpstart kit for your car. Less than US$50, you can get a jumpstart kit that also has other neat stuff in it, like a compressor for tire inflation, or hazard lights. Something worth having in your car toolkit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Prius' 12v battery is smaller than an average car's 12v battery, because it never has to start an engine. So, if you do a traditional jumpstart/boost, you can overpower the Prius' 12v battery, and potentially blow the 100 amp fuse that charges it.

The preferred method of jumpstarting another vehicle, using a Prius is:
Turn off both cars.
Connect up the jumper cables per the owner's manual of the car that needs to be jumped. It's probably best to go direct with the Prius' 12v battery terminals, found in the trunk/boot, but if you have a 2004+ Prius you can probably use the under-hood jump points in the fuse box.
Turn on the Prius to READY, so that the gasoline engine can charge the hybrid battery, the hybrid battery can charge the 12v battery, and the 12v battery can charge the dead car's battery. Leave like this for at least 15minutes to recharge the dead car's battery.
Turn off the Prius, and disconnect all the jumper cables.
Try starting the dead car using its own somewhat charged battery. Drive this car around for a while to let it recharge its own battery more.
This'll only work if the dead car's battery is merely too weak to start the car. If it has any damage or an internal short, it won't work (and could be dangerous to charge it).

The real preferred method, other than having an auto club come out, is to have a portable jumpstart kit for your car. Less than US$50, you can get a jumpstart kit that also has other neat stuff in it, like a compressor for tire inflation, or hazard lights. Something worth having in your car toolkit.
Hi. I have a 2005 prius that I, I'm afraid, just blew a fuse while I was rendering helping hands to the troubled neighbor with a few minutes of charge on his drained battery so that he might be able to crank alone thereafter. I connected a jumper cable under the hood, exactly as you instructed above: red on the red within the fuse box and black on the bolt on chassis. While I was connecting the other end to my neighbor's dead battery, the clamp on chassis tilted and touched the clamp on red, creating a spark, and all power went out immediately. What fuse have I blown, and how to replace it? When this happened, my prius was on. Thanks millions for your kind help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I never will attempt to jump start another car with a Prius (or any other hybrid). I always carry a portable battery jumper in case I need to assist someone in need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 25 of 25 Posts