Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just bought a 98 Prius. The good news is that it has only 28K k's on her. BUT, many of the controls of the dashboard are in Japanese as is the screen display and radio. Is there a way to get English messages on the display screen and modify the radio? I'm picking up an english owner's manual tomorrow.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
582 Posts
Kiwis

Hi Dave, if you visit yahoo groups you will see an Australia/New Zealand Prius group, and also an MK1 group that speficically deals with the pre-2001 model. Maybe some useful info for you there.

DAS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dave,

Can you check the manufacturing date of the car? It could be 8 years old! How is the HV battery pack? It would be interesting to know how it is holding up the age of time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Model year

i can't find the model year with the NZ VIN, but I do know that it is an HK-NHW10 model.

I've only had it a couple of days & driven it >100K. The battery seems to be chargin well & the car seems to work well. Time will tell of course.

I'll let you know if anything changes.

Cheers,
Dave H.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
if it's a NHW-10 model, it's the 97-00 model. Our "Classic" is the NHW-11 model right?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Kiwihawk
please keep us posted as your Prius is the oldest that I have seen discussed here and I think it would be interesting to see how your Prius holds up and I would also be interested to see some Pics of your Prius to see how it compares to my 2001 model. :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
The NHW-10 Prius is a kind of prototype vehicle, therefore Toyota made it for Japan market only.
I think there is no way to change the display language to English.
dkchin said:
It could be 8 years old! How is the HV battery pack? It would be interesting to know how it is holding up the age of time.
The HV battery is also prototype.
Toyota announced a special service campaign that they replace the HV battery if the delta-SOC is more than 20%.
Most NHW-10 users experienced one or two times of HV battery replacement.

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Mk1_Prius/

is an English-language group for owners of the NHW10 (1998-2000 model year Prius, originally only sold in Japan but now showing up used in other countries).

Sadly, you're probably going to have to learn a little Japanese (or at least memorize what the various screens and dash buttons do).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.