Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

In the old days you had to not take your car over 50 MPH for the first 500 miles. Is this also true with the Prius? Sure would like an answer to this if anyone has the time.

Thanks, Jill
Love My DWP #9. Hate the interior!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh boy. Thanks for the answer Richard. I sure took the lazy way, didn't I. Well I hope I didn't blow it to badly. I did drive about 50 miles today and cruzed on the freeway at about 70 - 75 MPH. God, I hope I didn't do to much damage! I just couldn't resist a drive in my new car. I love it. It is so fun. I am having a blast with the voice command stuff. I keep expecting her (oh no! I don't have a name for her yet. Our other one is called Bell) to tell me to stop playing.

Going to get my oweners manual right now.

Thanks again, Jill

·
Registered
928 Posts
Hey Jill,
I doubt you did much damage to your Prius. I'm pretty sure that cruising above 60 isn't going to add much stress to anything. But flooring it while over 60 does make the engine rev faster than it can at slower speeds. So try not to do any quick passing during the break-in if you find yourself drifting over 60. Unless you're using the cruise control most of the time, it's pretty easy to drift over 60 without even realizing it since the engine's so quiet unless you're accelerating hard.

So don't worry about it, ... AND DON'T DO IT AGAIN!!! :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I don't know where the 60 MPH thing came from but here is what is in the manual for the '04;
This is a down load of the manual from the Prius tech web site.

"Break in Period
Drive gently and avoid high speeds. Your vehicle does not need an elaborate break–in. But following a few simple tips for the first 1000 km (600 miles) can add to the future economy and long life of your vehicle:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Does this mean if I finish the 500mi in a week the break in is over and I can safely go faster? I drove 65-70 today on the freeway (gently /w criuse control) for about 100mi round trip. The car is on its first 200mi so far.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
hdrygas said:
I don't know where the 60 MPH thing came from but here is what is in the manual for the '04;
This is a down load of the manual from the Prius tech web site.

"Break in Period
Drive gently and avoid high speeds. Your vehicle does not need an elaborate break–in. But following a few simple tips for the first 1000 km (600 miles) can add to the future economy and long life of your vehicle:
Dang, you're right; the same info is on page 202 of the printed US version of the manual. (*sigh* If I now unconsciously consider anything over 60 MPH to be "high speed" that proves I've officially reached middle age. Where do I go to pick up my plaid pants and yellow shirts?)

But more to the point, what does Toyota consider to be "high speed"? Why didn't they just name a figure?

·
Registered
248 Posts
One would think that high speed would be greater than 75 mph because that is the max speed in several states on the freeway. I would think that the Toyota lawyers would have been more specific if it was thought that leagal speed limits were a problem. Over all I think it means be nice to your new Prius. Don't accererate hard, stop hard, pass that person going up hill at 72 mph on a 6% grade. Chill, drive happy like you had a raw egg between your foot and the break or gas. BTW go for the one piece jumpsuit. You will fit in at the senior center.

·
Registered
425 Posts
From page 202 US manual

Avoid full–throttle acceleration when starting and driving.
 Avoid racing the hybrid engine.
 Try to avoid hard stops during the first 300 km (200 miles).

·
Registered
130 Posts
I drove 1000 miles the first day and most of it into a headwind with the cruise control set at 72 mph. I surpassed that speed a few times but not by much or for long. I now have 9000 miles on the car and average about 56 MPG or so in mixed driving. My oil at 5000 miles was just starting to turn black, still kind of brown. I think my car loved its break-in and has been rewarding me ever since. I think more wear is placed on the car if the break-in is a long series of short trips where the engine is put through hours of warming up and cooling down. I am not an engineer, but I pretend to be.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
richard schumacher said:
...*sigh* If I now consider anything over 60 MPH to be "high speed" that proves I've officially reached middle age. Where do I go to pick up my plaid pants and yellow shirts?...
Here in Florida, it's gotta be plaid pink pants with those yellow shirts. Oh yeah, and you've gotta be wearing the fedora, too. Baseball caps don't count! :p

·
Registered
299 Posts
Before my dealer gave me the car, he turned to the page in the owners manual called something like, "Before you drive your new Prius". In there is mentioned the 600 mile break in. I don't have the manual infront of me, but what I got out of it was keep the engine rpms low. Since the car will naturally try to do that, the speeds weren't an issue so much as the rate at which you excellerate (sp?).

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it's broken in now, with just over 1000 miles. I love it and don't think I did any damage, as it is really loaded with power (compared to our 2003).

Thanks everyone. Jill

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'll bet "break in periods" are an urban legend. I'll bet no car manufacturer ever did a study looking at new car engines that were babied vs driven hard, then took them apart to see if there was any difference. Let's face it, with a steady acceleration the RPMs are probably above 4000 anyway. Those pistons are already moving pretty fast!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Ron K said:
I'll bet "break in periods" are an urban legend. I'll bet no car manufacturer ever did a study looking at new car engines that were babied vs driven hard, then took them apart to see if there was any difference. Let's face it, with a steady acceleration the RPMs are probably above 4000 anyway. Those pistons are already moving pretty fast!
Nah, with steady acceleration, engine RPM is more like 2500 to 3000. With full acceleration, once you're going fast enough (over 40 MPH in the 2001-03 Prius, over 30? in the 2004), it will exceed 4000 RPM. That's why the advice is to avoid full acceleration.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts